It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The incidence of rape in rural areas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The incidence of rape in rural areas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Jat wrote:
Hello Experts,
How can option B wrong?
She is taller than him. In this sentence we are not comparing "taller" with "him".
Similarly, option B : the incidence of rape in rural area is equal to or higher than (the incidence of rape) in urban area.

Please help me understand.

Thank you in advance,
Jat

The problem in B is with the part "equal to" - object of a preposition must be a noun - ignore the part "or higher than"; the sentence becomes:

The incidence of rape in rural areas is equal to in urban areas..... this construction is wrong because there should be a noun (or pronoun) after "to".

However it would be alright to say:
The incidence of rape is higher in rural areas than in urban areas.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 07:48
Kevalkhanna wrote:
The incidence of rape in rural areas is equally high or more so than in urban areas.
(A) equally high or more so than in urban areas
(B) equal to or higher than in urban areas
(C) as high as in urban areas or more
(D) equal to, if not more, than in urban areas
(E) as high as it is in urban areas, if not higher

Below are the reasoning based on which I selected "E".
(A) equally high or more so than in urban areas - Comparison is not clear ([color=#0000ff]compared to what in urban area) (urban)[/color]
(B) equal to or higher than in urban areas - Comparison is not clear ([color=#0000ff]compared to what in urban area) (urban)[/color]
(C) as high as in urban areas or more - Comparison is not clear ([color=#0000ff]compared to what in urban area) (urban)[/color]
(D) equal to, if not more, than in urban areas - Comparison is not clear ([color=#0000ff]compared to what in urban area) (urban)[/color]
(E) as high as it is in urban areas, if not higher[/quote] - Correct comparison, "it" referring to incidence of rape. . Although I am not totally satisfied with this answer, as "if not higher" changes the meaning a bit, but this is best among all options available.
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2017, 08:23
Got this one wrong terribly.
Careful reading is must for SC question.
Option E is correct

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
The incidence of rape in rural areas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 09:27
GMATNinja

hi Sir,
Does not this phrase "if not higher" in option E changes the meaning ?

okay its grammatically correct but are such meaning changes acceptable on official question ?

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 16:55
mihir0710 wrote:
GMATNinja

hi Sir,

okay its grammatically correct but are such meaning changes acceptable on official question ?

Sure, "as high as... if not higher" would definitely mean something different than just "as high as", but I think the meaning is basically the same in all five answer choices. All of them contain "or higher" or "or more so" or something like that. So the meaning in (E) really isn't substantially different from any of the other answer choices, so it's not really a problem.

(But for what it's worth: "at least as high as" would have been a much more elegant phrase. But that wasn't an option, so...)

Anyway, I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 18:11
In B .
Just remove higher than and read the stuff.

The incidence of rape in rural areas is equal to in urban areas.

Do you think it is right ? .
I don't think so.
We need frequency to be higher not more.
So between B and E .

E is better option than B.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 23:22
IMHO,(B) can be read as :
the incidence of rape in rural area is equal to or higher than (the incidence of rape) in urban area.

Is it wrong to interpret (B) as above?
Please help rectify my understanding
Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 23:30
E, pronoun it refers to.. incidence of rape..which is not there in other options..

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 07:51
Hi GMATninja,

The incidence of rape in rural areas is equally high or more so than in urban areas.
(A) equally high or more so than in urban areas
(B) equal to or higher than in urban areas
(C) as high as in urban areas or more
(D) equal to, if not more, than in urban areas
(E) as high as it is in urban areas, if not higher

Can you explain what’s wrong with option A. Is this comparison wrong or the use of ‘more so’ is wrong. I think there is nothing wrong in comparison, because it simply says A is high in X than in Y. the use of ‘it’ can be redundant, because we have used word ‘in’ after ‘than’. can you please explain!!!

GMATNinja wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:
GMATNinja

hi Sir,

Sure, "as high as... if not higher" would definitely mean something different than just "as high as", but I think the meaning is basically the same in all five answer choices. All of them contain "or higher" or "or more so" or something like that. So the meaning in (E) really isn't substantially different from any of the other answer choices, so it's not really a problem.

(But for what it's worth: "at least as high as" would have been a much more elegant phrase. But that wasn't an option, so...)

Anyway, I hope this helps!
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 08:30
vksharma wrote:
IMHO,(B) can be read as :
the incidence of rape in rural area is equal to or higher than (the incidence of rape) in urban area.

Is it wrong to interpret (B) as above?
Please help rectify my understanding
Thanks

The interpretation above is wrong - for simplicity, ignore the part "equal to" for the time being:

The incidence of rape in rural area is higher than in urban area... the comparison is incorrect. Here the the compared parts are "the incidence" (noun) and "in urban area" (prepositional phrase).

The correct comparison would be:

The incidence of rape is higher in rural area than in urban area. Here the comparison is correct (two prepositional phrases are compared.)
OR
The incidence of rape in rural area is higher than that in urban area. Here that comparison is also correct (two nouns are compared).

You cannot mix noun with prepositional phrase.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.97

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 08:38
GMATNinja
I shortlisted the answers to C and E. Can you explain how E is better?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
globaldesi wrote:
GMATNinja
I shortlisted the answers to C and E. Can you explain how E is better?

Usual caveats apply here about non-official questions: the GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 developing each question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete. This one certainly isn't terrible, but I don't think it smells quite like the real thing, either.

But all of them have clear problems, other than (E). (A), (C), and (D) all have an issue in common: they all use the word "more", and that doesn't work in this context, because you could never say that the "incidence of rape... is more" in one place than another. You could say that the "incidence... is higher", but "more" is wrong here. (If it helps, think of "frequency" as a rough synonym for "incidence" -- "the frequency... is more" doesn't work either, right?)

So for that reason, you can eliminate (A), (C), and (D). If anybody reading this is tempted by (B), check out sayantanc2k 's excellent explanation above.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Re: The incidence of rape in rural areas   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2018, 17:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

The incidence of rape in rural areas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap