GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 02:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 17:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:32) correct 47% (01:34) wrong based on 568 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use of addictive tobacco products to the extent that health advocates hope. Many cigarette smokers will shift their spending to cigars and chewing tobacco when the law takes effect.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly weaken the argument above?

A. Cigars and chewing tobacco can satisfy the nicotine cravings of most cigarette smokers.

B. The taste, smell, and texture of cigars and chewing tobacco are sufficiently different from those of cigarettes to deter cigarette smokers from using them.

C. Many health advocates themselves use tobacco products.

D. The government might also impose significant taxes on cigars and chewing tobacco over the course of two years.

E. Cigars and chewing tobacco are often more expensive than cigarettes.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 22:12
The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use of addictive tobacco products to the extent that health advocates hope. Many cigarette smokers will shift their spending to cigars and chewing tobacco when the law takes effect.
Assumption: (The don't mind shifting as the taste or feel is almost same to not too different to deter them)

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly weaken the argument above?

A. Cigars and chewing tobacco can satisfy the nicotine cravings of most cigarette smokers.
(This strengthens the argument. Opposite)

B. The taste, smell, and texture of cigars and chewing tobacco are sufficiently different from those of cigarettes to deter cigarette smokers from using them.
(This is against our pre-mentioned assumption and is the weakener.)

C. Many health advocates themselves use tobacco products.
(Out of concern. does not affect the argument.)

D. The government might also impose significant taxes on cigars and chewing tobacco over the course of two years.
(What will happen in future will not weaken the argument.)

E. Cigars and chewing tobacco are often more expensive than cigarettes.
(1. may be often but need not be at this point of time
2. This may not deter wealthy section of public.)
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 23:05
Increase in taxes on cigarettes will increase the price of cigarettes .
The smokers will shift to cigars and chewing tobacco .
Assumption-Smokers will shift provided the taste/smell is similar and cigars & tobacco are cheaper .

A.Cigars and chewing tobacco can satisfy the nicotine cravings of most cigarette smokers - Strengthens

B.The taste, smell, and texture of cigars and chewing tobacco are sufficiently different from those of cigarettes to deter cigarette smokers from using them . - It might be a deterrent . Weaken

C. Many health advocates themselves use tobacco products.- Out of scope

Even if significant taxes are imposed , it might take time for that .Hence , not relevant

E.Cigars and chewing tobacco are often more expensive than cigarettes .
If the prices of cigars and chewing tobacco is often more expensive , it is might be unlikely that smokers will shift to cigar and chewing tobacco. But will Cigars and chewing tobacco be still more expensive once the new tax is imposed on cigarettes ?
It would have been better if the statement was cigars and chewing tobacco will be still more expensive than cigarettes even after the new taxes on cigarettes have been imposed .
Experts , please help .
:crazy:
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 23:54
theventurer wrote:
The increase in taxes on cigarettes next
month will not limit the use of addictive
tobacco products to the extent that health
advocates hope. Many cigarette smokers
will shift their spending to cigars and
chewing tobacco when the law takes effect.

Which of the following, if true, would most
strongly weaken the argument above?

A. Cigars and chewing tobacco can
satisfy the nicotine cravings of most
cigarette smokers.
B. The taste, smell, and texture of cigars
and chewing tobacco are sufficiently
different from those of cigarettes to
deter cigarette smokers from using
them.
C. Many health advocates themselves
use tobacco products.
D. The government might also impose
significant taxes on cigars and
chewing tobacco over the course of
two years.
E. Cigars and chewing tobacco are
often more expensive than cigarettes.

I would like to verify my answer. I believe it is E.

what's the oa? chose B. E could also be correct if it used "still expensive"
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2015, 04:31
This is not a great CR question, I must say. On one hand the OA is disputable, as Mechmeera and Skywalker18 nicely explained. On the other hand we have another better choice, B, which far more convincing.

Besides, I think there is some slackness in the prompt itself. The opening line: The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use of addictive tobacco products the extent that health advocates hope. What is the point of increasing the taxes on just cigarettes in order to limit the uses of other tobacco products? Then increasing the price of a commodity and arguing that the customers won't move to other COSTLY substitute seems to be very weak example of argument. Definitely this argument is perfect for the AWA section.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 07:15
This Question is from Kaplan GMAT Premier and OA mentioned is (B)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2015, 12:29
kshitijkhurana3010 wrote:
This Question is from Kaplan GMAT Premier and OA mentioned is (B)

I believe Kshitij is right. Kaplan states that the answer choice is B.

Please update the OA.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 14:13
Plan is to raise the price of cigrattees so highly that people reduce the consumption. So we need to find an answer which weakens this plan rather than finding some other plan or reason. What is the assumption here- no other tobacco product is cheaper than cigrattes.

Taste and chewing -people might now like initially but they can Get familAr with the taste gradually asking as price of cigars is lower then cigrates

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 20:42
B and E both weaken the argument but E is not that good because:

Lets say price of cigarette = $10 plus $1 Tax.
Price of Cigar or Chewing Gum = $12.00 with tax

After Tax: Price of Cigarette =

1. $10 + $1.10 Tax < $12 (Price of Chewing/Cigars)
2. $10 + $20 tax > $12.

So price can be cheaper than cigars or way more expensive. B is certainly the better answer.
E is incorrect. Please update OA.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Sep 2016, 00:03
Answer is E

The crux/conclusion of the argument is If government tax makes cigarette expensive, then the money earlier spend on cigarette will be diverted to buy cigar and chewing tobacco

Option E tells us that more often than not Cigars and chewing tobacco are expensive than cigarette.

Imagine this conversation :-
You:- Hey John ! Have you bought the Mercedes, that you were planning to buy
John:- No. I think I can't buy it anymore. Its price has gone up and I can't afford to buy that mercedes because I don't have that much money.
You:- Ohh...Thats too bad. HEY.. you know since you can't afford the Mercedes because its expensive, then you should buy a Boeing aeroplane.
John :- :shock:

ok ok.. I know i took the an extreme case but i am sure you got my point. If you cannot afford a moderately expensive product than you obviously cannot switch to a even more expensive product.
Since people cannot buy cigarettes then its safe to conclude that they cannot buy cigar which are even more expensive than cigarette.

BTW I AGREE WITH EVERYONE WHO THINK THIS IS A BAD QUESTION. IT IS DEFINITELY A BAD QUESTION

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 19 Jun 2016, 04:59.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 01 Sep 2016, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 03:07
Skywalker18 wrote:
Increase in taxes on cigarettes will increase the price of cigarettes .
The smokers will shift to cigars and chewing tobacco .
Assumption-Smokers will shift provided the taste/smell is similar and cigars & tobacco are cheaper .

A.Cigars and chewing tobacco can satisfy the nicotine cravings of most cigarette smokers - Strengthens

B.The taste, smell, and texture of cigars and chewing tobacco are sufficiently different from those of cigarettes to deter cigarette smokers from using them . - It might be a deterrent . Weaken

C. Many health advocates themselves use tobacco products.- Out of scope

Even if significant taxes are imposed , it might take time for that .Hence , not relevant

E.Cigars and chewing tobacco are often more expensive than cigarettes .
If the prices of cigars and chewing tobacco is often more expensive , it is might be unlikely that smokers will shift to cigar and chewing tobacco. But will Cigars and chewing tobacco be still more expensive once the new tax is imposed on cigarettes ?
It would have been better if the statement was cigars and chewing tobacco will be still more expensive than cigarettes even after the new taxes on cigarettes have been imposed .
Experts , please help .
:crazy:

Yes, Btw B and E

I think wording in the options can help us to identify the more weakening statement.

B : sufficiently deter ---- this tells characteristics of cigarettes are sufficiently different from those of cigars etc....thus cigarettes smokers will not move to cigars etc . CORRECT

E : Often ----- this tells cigars are often expensive ( eg: there are 100 brands , many of them are expensive (51 to 99 can be expensive) still there are other brands that are cheap than cigarettes. Weaken but not that much , if often is emitted and all brands is stated .....this can be best option
V
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 04:22
official ans given in the kaplan book is b please change the oa.
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 05:08
Official Answer is B. Source: Kaplan GMAT 2016 Strategies, Practice, and Review with 2 Practice Tests
Need to fix.
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 07:33
I eliminate E because of "often". To me, "often" is different from "always"
B most weakens the argument than E does.

D the government action is not guaranteed because of the word "might".
Easy ones: A strengthens the argument, C is out of scope

Answer is B
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 07:56
I went for E. The assumption in the stimulus was that the increased cost of tobacco will prevent people from buying them and switch to another product. However, cigar and chewing tobacco are even more expensive => there's no way they will switch to these 2 products.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 08:16
phoebedu wrote:
I went for E. The assumption in the stimulus was that the increased cost of tobacco will prevent people from buying them and switch to another product. However, cigar and chewing tobacco are even more expensive => there's no way they will switch to these 2 products.

E does not say that "cigar and chewing tobacco are even more expensive". The word "often" plays a key role here.
Under certain circunstances, cigar and chewing tobacco are not more expensive.

B is clearly a stronger weakene
r.

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 23:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2019, 23:55

The increase in taxes on cigarettes next month will not limit the use

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics