GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 11:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:17) correct 56% (01:19) wrong based on 251 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state forest department to work as wilderness firefighters eat in the same cafeterias, sleep in the same campsites, and wear the same uniforms as their professional counterparts do, defying the rigid relationship barriers enforced inside prison walls.

A. defying the rigid relationship barriers enforced

B. defying the relationship barriers enforced rigidly

C. they defy the rigid relationship barriers enforced

D. an arrangement to defy the relationship barriers that are enforced rigidly

E. an arrangement that defies the rigid relationship barriers enforced

Hi

The following is a question from the EGMAT Verbal Ability Quiz. It seems choice (E) is the correct answer as opposed to, probably (A). The explanation provided is that the arrangement allows Arizona inmates to defy barriers, rather than them doing this of their own accord. I feel like in another voice might say that that is implied and choice (E) is wordier and the addition of the word "Arrangement" is probably redundant. How can one navigate a confusion like this?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2019, 11:21
Hi

The following is a question from the EGMAT Verbal Ability Quiz. It seems choice (E) is the correct answer as opposed to, probably (A). The explanation provided is that the arrangement allows Arizona inmates to defy barriers, rather than them doing this of their own accord. I feel like in another voice might say that that is implied and choice (E) is wordier and the addition of the word "Arrangement" is probably redundant. How can one navigate a confusion like this?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 22:37
Don't understand how E could be correct when we have A and B as better options.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

Your suggestions will be appreciated: https://gmatclub.com/forum/your-one-advice-could-help-me-poor-gmat-scores-299072.html

1) Gmat prep: 620 Q48, V27
2) Gmat prep: 610 Q47, V28
3) Gmat prep: 620 Q47, V28
4) Gmat prep: 660 Q47, V34
5) Gmat prep: 560 Q37, V29
6) Gmat prep: 540 Q39, V26
7) Veritas Cat: 620 Q46, V30
8) Veritas Cat: 630 Q45, V32
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 22:41
However, I think B is the right answer.

They eat, sleep, and wear the same uniforms defying the barrier that is enforced rigidly.
defying properly modifies the activities, and it is the barrier that is enforced rigidly.

" I CAN AND I WILL"

Your suggestions will be appreciated: https://gmatclub.com/forum/your-one-advice-could-help-me-poor-gmat-scores-299072.html

1) Gmat prep: 620 Q48, V27
2) Gmat prep: 610 Q47, V28
3) Gmat prep: 620 Q47, V28
4) Gmat prep: 660 Q47, V34
5) Gmat prep: 560 Q37, V29
6) Gmat prep: 540 Q39, V26
7) Veritas Cat: 620 Q46, V30
8) Veritas Cat: 630 Q45, V32
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 23:47
Prasannathawait wrote:
However, I think B is the right answer.

They eat, sleep, and wear the same uniforms defying the barrier that is enforced rigidly.
defying properly modifies the activities, and it is the barrier that is enforced rigidly.

Does that mean that there are barriers outside prison which are enforced not as rigidly as they do in prison? It seems like B is trying to do some comparison between the barriers inside prison and outside prison.

A makes more sense to me. Even if we discard the word 'rigid', the sentence will still make sense and the meaning of the sentence is intact.
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 06:47
MoulikaSaxena wrote:
Hi

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 20:45
MoulikaSaxena

You can solve this by asking a simple question. Who is the doer of the action? Inmates or arrangement. Why can't be inmates? Because they were selected by the arrangement. So the arrangement created is defying the rigid relationship, not inmates.
Re: The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2019, 20:45

The inmates of Arizona state prison who are selected by the state fore

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics