It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:02

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 128 [2], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2014, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:18) correct 26% (01:17) wrong based on 303 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 1950s, shows a substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust. Community activists have argued that the bridge presents a hazard: it is likely to collapse in places where it has rusted through. Professors of mechanical engineering at the local university did an extensive analysis of the bridge. These professors and their graduate students determined that 98% of the rust on the bridge exists on the surface only, and actually seals the underlying steel from the corrosive influence of the elements. The results of this academic study suggest that the bridge is safe for continued use.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.

(B)The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence that calls this conclusion into question.

(C) The first is evidence taken to support one conclusion; the second provides evidence that calls this conclusion into question.

(D) The first is a position that the argument opposes; the second is the conclusion of the argument.

(E) The first is an interpretation of evidence; the second calls that evidence into question.

The answer is easy to determine by POE (Process of Elimination), but I don't understand how would could determine the main conclusion in this argument, because there are two valid conclusions each with their own premises.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 128 [2], given: 2405

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 4

R: K
Re: The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 19 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2014, 21:06
TooLong150 wrote:
The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 1950s, shows a substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust. Community activists have argued that the bridge presents a hazard: it is likely to collapse in places where it has rusted through. Professors of mechanical engineering at the local university did an extensive analysis of the bridge. These professors and their graduate students determined that 98% of the rust on the bridge exists on the surface only, and actually seals the underlying steel from the corrosive influence of the elements. The results of this academic study suggest that the bridge is safe for continued use.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion; the second is that conclusion.

(B)The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence that calls this conclusion into question.

(C) The first is evidence taken to support one conclusion; the second provides evidence that calls this conclusion into question.

(D) The first is a position that the argument opposes; the second is the conclusion of the argument.

(E) The first is an interpretation of evidence; the second calls that evidence into question.

The answer is easy to determine by POE (Process of Elimination), but I don't understand how would could determine the main conclusion in this argument, because there are two valid conclusions each with their own premises.

IMO : Main Conclusion is the main point that the author of the argument wants us to understand / believe. After reading the full argument we can say that author wants us to believe that "the bridge is safe for continued use".

Can you say that author wants us to believe that "the bridge presents a hazard: it is likely to collapse"? For me, the answer is "no" (I hope that after reading this post, for you also the answer will be "no").

The main conclusion is the main point that author wants us to believe in....

Hope this helps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2014, 23:07
Sentence X - "Community activists have argued that the bridge presents a hazard: it is likely to collapse in places where it has rusted through."

Sentence Y - "The results of this academic study suggest that the bridge is safe for continued use."

One could approach such questions by analyzing the tone of the passage or question. Words like 'argued'(in sentence X) when contrasted with words like 'suggest' and 'results'( in sentence Y) often help in differentiating the main conclusion from the rest.

The logical flow of the passage like indicated in the above comment get you to arrive at the conclusion that the bridge is safe. If the author presented evidence to support the argument that the bridge was unsafe then one could argue that it would be the main conclusion. But here the arguments presented in the question oppose the conclusion that the bridge is unsafe and target the premise that "as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust".

Hope the explanation helped!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 71

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2014, 06:33
What's wrong with option E? :(

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 71

Intern
Intern

R: K

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2014, 21:43
shanaya wrote:
What's wrong with option E? :(

IMO

The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 1950s, shows a substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust. (Premise 1)

Community activists have argued that the bridge presents a hazard: it is likely to collapse in places where it has rusted through. (Premise 2 based on Premise 1)

Professors of mechanical engineering at the local university did an extensive analysis of the bridge. (Premise 3)

These professors and their graduate students determined that 98% of the rust on the bridge exists on the surface only, and actually seals the underlying steel from the corrosive influence of the elements. (Premise 4)

The results of this academic study suggest that the bridge is safe for continued use. (Main conclusion)

What is the relationship between BF 1 & BF 2? BF 2 (i.e. main conclu) contradicts with BF 2 (i.e. opinion of community activists)

What Option E say: The first is an interpretation of evidence; the second calls that evidence into question.
The first is an interpretation of evidence;

Yes, "the bridge presents a hazard: it is likely to collapse in places where it has rusted through" can be drawn from "substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust. "

the second calls that evidence into question.

No, there is no connection in BF 2 and the evidence (i.e. "substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust. ").

We can say that analysis done by professor ("These professors and their graduate students determined that 98% of the rust on the bridge exists on the surface only, and actually seals the underlying steel from the corrosive influence of the elements." ) create a doubt on the evidence ("substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust. ") used to draw the conclusion by community activists.

Hope this helps

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2015, 22:09

The 1st BF is the position which is opposed in the argument and in the main conclusion. The main conclusion is "bridge is safe for continued use". The evidence to support the 1st BF is stated as "built in the 1950s, shows a substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust". So 1st BF is not "Evidence"

(A) The first is evidence in support of the conclusion; the second is that conclusion. -> Wrong

(B)The first is the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence that calls this conclusion into question. -> The main conclusion of the argument is 2nd BF.

(C) The first is evidence taken to support one conclusion; the second provides \(evidence\)that calls this conclusion into question.-> None of the BF provide any evidence. Both the BF are views or positions or judgement.

(D) The first is a position that the argument opposes; the second is the conclusion of the argument. -> Correct

(E) The first is an interpretation of evidence; the second calls that evidence into question. -> 2nd BF doesn't call the evidence "shows a substantial amount of rust: as much as 45% of its surface is coated in rust". The argument actually acknowledges that fact and provides extra facts to draw the 2nd BF as conclusion.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 548

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 00:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you very much this is useful

Kudos [?]: 10 [2], given: 14

Re: The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 19   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 18:43

The Interstate Bridge over the Apache River, built in the 19

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap