Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [13]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
Re: The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
u need something to modify clans before the comma,

D only does that with 'whose' which correctly refers to 'CLANS'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Re: The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans, [#permalink]
Kudos
Abhishek009 wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans,of which members traced theirdescent from a common female ancestor-.

A) of which members
B) with members who
C) members of whom
D) whose members
E) of members who

Their - Symbolises there must be a plural subject/Noun...

Correct answer must be (D) , errors in the other options are marked in red..

Hi, i dont get why A is wrong, i thought it is like "...,members of which (clans) traced their descent from a common female ancestor".
please advise. Thanks.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
1988achilles wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
NandishSS wrote:
The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans,of which members traced theirdescent from a common female ancestor-.

A) of which members
B) with members who
C) members of whom
D) whose members
E) of members who

What is wrong in C. Members of whom. here whom refers to matriarchal clans. is it wrong because it is indirect way of refering to clans, while D is a direct way.

The relative pronoun "whom" can be used for persons only - "of which" could be used in this case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. “clans of which members” is a twisted virtually meaningless expression.
B. “with members who” doesn’t give a sense that they are the members of clan.
C. “whom” refers to a person and here we are talking about the clan. So, C is eliminated.
D. This version effectively conveys the intended meaning. Hence, D is the answer.
E. Choice E doesn’t make any sense with respect to the context of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Imo D. C and D are the only viable options that I feel are correct. But C is a bit more ndirect and wordy.. so I'll choose D.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
NandishSS wrote:

A) of which members
B) with members who
C) members of whom
D) whose members
E) of members who

What is wrong in C. Members of whom. here whom refers to matriarchal clans. is it wrong because it is indirect way of refering to clans, while D is a direct way.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
D correctly modifies the preceding noun "Clans".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 4
Send PM
The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans, [#permalink]
Hi y'all,
Could somebody please explain why C is incorrect? If it is because whom must be referred to people and not to the items -' clans', then by substituting it with whose would correct the error; or it is because of the placement of members after the coma instead of whom?

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 1049
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hello experts
sayantanc2k AndrewN generis AjiteshArun

can you please confirm my POE?

1. can you help us understand why option A is incorrect. my understanding was which is workinas modifier and we can replace it with clans. so
The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans, of clans members traced their descent from a common female ancestor. i may be wrong but i do not see any problem.

2. is with members who wrong because of it seems like referring to earlier action The Iroquois organized and now is not related with clans ?
3. option C is incorrect because whom can only used for people.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
kadamhari825 wrote:
Hello experts
sayantanc2k AndrewN generis AjiteshArun

can you please confirm my POE?

1. can you help us understand why option A is incorrect. my understanding was which is workinas modifier and we can replace it with clans. so
The Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans, of clans members traced their descent from a common female ancestor. i may be wrong but i do not see any problem.

2. is with members who wrong because of it seems like referring to earlier action The Iroquois organized and now is not related with clans ?
3. option C is incorrect because whom can only used for people.

Thanks

Hello kadamhari825,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubts.

1. The construction "of which members" leads to an incoherent meaning; if we were to replace "which" with "clans" as you have suggested, we would have two independent clauses linked by a comma, leading to the error of comma splice.

2. Yes; you are correct in your reasoning. This construction leads to an ambiguous meaning, implying that alongside certain members, the Iroquois organized their kinship groups into matriarchal clans.

3. You are correct; "whom" cannot be used to refer to "clan", as it is a non-human entity, albeit one that is comprised, in part, of humans.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts