It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Retaking next month
Affiliations: None
Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 211

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 42

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 02:53
Simple D. Did in 1 Minute :)

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 42

16 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Mission GMAT
Joined: 20 Apr 2011
Posts: 88

Kudos [?]: 83 [16], given: 39

Re: SC- Iroquois [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 03:57
16
This post received
KUDOS
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ah, the -ing contrast error as I call it!

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented
(C) and even though they supplemented
(D) although they supplemented
(E) but with supplementing


A - but supplementing - wrong. folks, the ing modifier canNOT appear with but. The obvious reason, the ing modifier clause builds up on the opening clause. It does NOT indicate a contrast. Check the meaning, the second clause is actually showing a contrats to the first one. Also, note here that ing is not a progressive tense. it is a modifier.

B - and had supplemented - wrong again. two reasons. 1. and cannot show a contrast. it is usually used to link two independent clauses. the intended meaning is a contrast. 2. had supplemented - incorrect tense. it indidcates that this action was before they were planters. incorrect meaning. the actions are simultaneous and the tenses should be consistent. both - simple past.

C - and even though they supplemented - incorrect. this indicates a contrast - meaning-wise correct. but this is not a complete sentence. it is a fragment. [i]]and[i] must connect independent clauses. the second clause does not have a working verb that will make it an independent clause. it is wordy too.

D - although they supplemented - wow! correct! although indicates contrast. they supplemented is correct. also, althouth needs a clause (sub + verb) this clause has both - correct. the tense supplemented (simple past) is correct as well. it is consistent with the non underlined tense.

E - but with supplementing - this is a modifier, not a verb. same error, ing modifier that is introducing a contrast. does not work. incorrect.

Take-aways -
Although needs a clause
Ing modifier cannot indicate a contrast
_________________

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Kudos [?]: 83 [16], given: 39

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Essaying
Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 143

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Location: Ghana
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Accounting (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC- Iroquois [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 08:38
D.. because "Although" shows contrast

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 240

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 36

Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 06:01
ajit257 wrote:
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented
(C) and even though they supplemented
(D) although they supplemented
(E) but with supplementing


Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks


I might have come up with the answer purely by how it sounds. Here is my analysis -

X E - but with
X B - , and had
X C - change of meaning
X A - "supplementing" kind of adds another fact to the the sentence and isn't trying to refute or contradict something already mentioned, hence "but supplementing" doesn't work with the message in the sentence

D - although doesn't refute planting as the main profession
_________________

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Next engagement on Nov-19-2011
Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 79

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Location: New Delhi, India
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2011, 09:58
ajit257 wrote:
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented
(C) and even though they supplemented
(D) although they supplemented
(E) but with supplementing


Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks


Sentence seems to inform that Iroquois were planters but they did something. So simple past tense will do the work to identify what they did.
A. Progressive tense
B. Past Perfect tense
C. 'and' connects two independent sentences. But I 'even though' seems to create a subordinate clause.
D. Best choice based on PoE
E. Progressive tense
_________________

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 128

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2011, 21:55
ajit257 wrote:
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting
their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented
(C) and even though they supplemented
(D) although they supplemented
(E) but with supplementing


Can someone explain the ans. I have a doubt on the usage of one of the words but like to see some views first. Thanks


D wins.

The sentence is in past tense, hence "supplemented" usage. A and E are out. The question indicates contrast. Hence B is out. D is the more concise option. E is out.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 200

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 5

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2012, 09:11
I chose D for my answer:

A. The use of "but" followed by a comma typically indicates two independent clauses - one precedes the coordinating conjunction and the other follows. In the second clause, I wasn't really sure what the verb was. Also, supplementing acts as a verb-ing modifier that typically modifies the preceding clause. Here, it is unclear what it is supposed to modify.

B. The tense is incorrect here. By using the past perfect tense, it seems to suggest that "their cultivation of maize..." occurred before they were primarily planters. This does not make sense.

C. We are looking for a contrast here, so the use of "and" is incorrect. The clause is then followed by "even though" which presents a subordinate clause. This subordinate clause makes the whole sentence a fragment because we are connecting an independent clause with a dependent clause with a coordinating conjunction.

D. "Although" presents a good contrast. The use of the simple past tense is correct.

E. Again, I'm not too sure what the word "supplementing" is supposed to modify.

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2012, 12:29
I got the reason for the correct answer, but the OG-12 explanation says, that "the participle supplementing would normally be expected to modify the first clause, describing or extending its meaning". Is it a general rule about participles?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 01:35
why A is wrong is not simple.

"but" as preposition means besides. preposition can go with participle: in learning gmat, I feel hard.
however "but" as preposition in A is not logic though grammartical.

"but" as adverb means ONLY, . This meaning is not logic. there is not modification between two verb " are" and "supplementing"

there should be a contrast as in D.

though I choose D immediately, I feel hard to eliminate A.

I want you, experts, explain more why A is wrong.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jun 2011
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 15

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 02:04
vietmoi999 wrote:
why A is wrong is not simple.

"but" as preposition means besides. preposition can go with participle: in learning gmat, I feel hard.
however "but" as preposition in A is not logic though grammartical.

"but" as adverb means ONLY, . This meaning is not logic. there is not modification between two verb " are" and "supplementing"

there should be a contrast as in D.

though I choose D immediately, I feel hard to eliminate A.

I want you, experts, explain more why A is wrong.


Hi vietmoi999,


Option A - The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting

Supplementing x, y and Z and then ??? This is a run-on sentence. It is not a complete sentence.

Please remember that supplementing (or any ing form)cannot be the main verb in itself

If it were something like -

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting they survived

then it would have been a complete sentence.
_________________

Kudos always encourages me

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2013
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2013, 02:05
In the option (A), the but shows the contrast but, after the but, the clause doesn't have a subject, making it a fragment.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2013, 23:43
IN choice A, "but" can be considered adverb meaning "only""

this adverb modify "subplementing' which is participle which modifies the previous clause.

A is grammatical
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1124

Kudos [?]: 3672 [0], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2013, 00:04
vietmoi999 wrote:
IN choice A, "but" can be considered adverb meaning "only""

this adverb modify "subplementing' which is participle which modifies the previous clause.

A is grammatical


Hi vietmoi999.

"But" means "only" if "but" plays as an adverb.
For example: he is but a child = he is only a child.

However, A uses a structure "But + COMMA" ==> "But" is a coordinator between 2 independent clauses. Thus, "but" is not an adverb. We need two clauses here, but the clause beginning with "supplementing" is not independent cause it has no main verb.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3672 [0], given: 123

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2013, 03:05
the pattern in A is "comma+but"

so, "but" can mean "only" here

I agree with you that if "but" is conjuction, the pattern in A is wrong.
_________________

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 27

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Location: India
Concentration: General Management
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2013, 12:54
swati007 wrote:
vietmoi999 wrote:
why A is wrong is not simple.

"but" as preposition means besides. preposition can go with participle: in learning gmat, I feel hard.
however "but" as preposition in A is not logic though grammartical.

"but" as adverb means ONLY, . This meaning is not logic. there is not modification between two verb " are" and "supplementing"

there should be a contrast as in D.

though I choose D immediately, I feel hard to eliminate A.

I want you, experts, explain more why A is wrong.


Hi vietmoi999,


Option A - The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting

Supplementing x, y and Z and then ??? This is a run-on sentence. It is not a complete sentence.

Please remember that supplementing (or any ing form)cannot be the main verb in itself

If it were something like -

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting they survived

then it would have been a complete sentence.


Hi vietmoi999/Swati

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting they survived
might still be logically incorrect I feel as the sentence has shifted the intended contrast .
The contrast is now between Iroquois being planters and their survival .

If we have to make answer choice A correct than I think it should be as given below -
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplemented their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.
Subject - The Iroquois
verb 1 : were
Verb 2 : supplemented

Please correct me if I am wrong .
_________________

I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end -- Abraham Lincoln

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 54 [1], given: 21

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 12:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
alicegmat wrote:
Ah, the -ing contrast error as I call it!

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple-
menting their cultivation of maize, squash, and
beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented
(C) and even though they supplemented
(D) although they supplemented
(E) but with supplementing


A - but supplementing - wrong. folks, the ing modifier canNOT appear with but. The obvious reason, the ing modifier clause builds up on the opening clause. It does NOT indicate a contrast. Check the meaning, the second clause is actually showing a contrats to the first one. Also, note here that ing is not a progressive tense. it is a modifier.

B - and had supplemented - wrong again. two reasons. 1. and cannot show a contrast. it is usually used to link two independent clauses. the intended meaning is a contrast. 2. had supplemented - incorrect tense. it indidcates that this action was before they were planters. incorrect meaning. the actions are simultaneous and the tenses should be consistent. both - simple past.

C - and even though they supplemented - incorrect. this indicates a contrast - meaning-wise correct. but this is not a complete sentence. it is a fragment. [i]]and[i] must connect independent clauses. the second clause does not have a working verb that will make it an independent clause. it is wordy too.

D - although they supplemented - wow! correct! although indicates contrast. they supplemented is correct. also, althouth needs a clause (sub + verb) this clause has both - correct. the tense supplemented (simple past) is correct as well. it is consistent with the non underlined tense.

E - but with supplementing - this is a modifier, not a verb. same error, ing modifier that is introducing a contrast. does not work. incorrect.

Take-aways -
Although needs a clause
Ing modifier cannot indicate a contrast



I was reading the explanation in this post and found that everyone is overlooking a small error. Hence, posting a reply to correct the understanding.

While explanation for A, B, D, E is mostly correct in all the replies, explanation about C is wrong.

(C) "and even though they supplemented" : It is a sentence fragment but not because it does not have a verb.. This sentence has a perfect verb i.e. supplemented just like in (D).

However, this sentence is a fragment because it starts with "and", which requires further explanation after the subordinate clause "even though....." ends.


-Sameer
Press kudos if this post helped :)
_________________

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Kudos [?]: 54 [1], given: 21

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 773

Kudos [?]: 343 [2], given: 14

Location: Bangalore, India
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 20:34
2
This post received
KUDOS
More specifically, and is used as a coordinating conjunction in C, and so, must be followed with an Independent clause (this is a property of coordinating conjunctions). In this case, and is just followed by a dependent clause, and hence is not correct.

p.s. Sentence fragments are tested quite extensively on GMAT. Our book discusses in detail, the various scenarios in which Sentence fragments appear. If you could PM me your mail id, I can send you the relevant section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 343 [2], given: 14

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 211

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 84

Location: India
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2014, 23:40
ngobaotrung wrote:
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing their cultivation of maize, squash, and beans with fishing and hunting.

(A) but supplementing
(B) and had supplemented
(C) and even though they supplemented
(D) although they supplemented
(E) but with supplementing



I marked choice D, because "Although" is used when we need to contrast two situation.

What would have been the answer, had choice C been "even though they supplemented" i.e. removing and from it.
_________________

Give KUDOS if the post helps you... :-D

Kudos [?]: 306 [0], given: 84

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10268

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supple- menting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 11:15
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 107

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Schools: IIMA
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2015, 03:05
The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing

but is used as a connector like X but Y (X and Y should be in same form)

Here The Iroquois should be connected by plural noun , option 'D' is doing correct thing so correct :)
_________________

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 66

Re: The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2015, 03:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 51 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Iroquois were primarily planters, but supplementing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.