Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1104 [336]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [89]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [41]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [22]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
thevenus wrote:
I filtered down the ACs and got stuck between B and E ; however, i chose B eventually.
Experts tell me why not to choose B even-though, E is equally looking good and the right answer.

Is that because of änd"in B. (not parallel )?

This one is tricky. You're right to get stuck between B and E, but the problem is the subtle change in meaning in B.

"Is obviously more dangerous" has a different meaning from "is more obviously dangerous" and thus distorts the original sentence's intention. The first means that in fact it is more dangerous, but that's actually not true since the discus apparently is. So while the javelin but appear more obviously dangerous, the discus is apparently (NOW it's obviously) more dangerous.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than [#permalink]
Kudos
I filtered down the ACs and got stuck between B and E ; however, i chose B eventually.
Experts tell me why not to choose B even-though, E is equally looking good and the right answer.

Is that because of änd"in B. (not parallel )?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I got down to B and E and ended up going with B :(

How do we decipher the author's intended meaning?

It seems like "more obviously dangerous" and "obviously more dangerous" would both give valid meanings.

Do we need to stick with the meaning of the original sentence?
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [15]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
b) javelin has a sharp point and is dangerous ................,

e) javelin, with its sharp point, is dangerous ...................

Analogy :

B : SKM has a sharp tongue and SKM is rude.................. Guess 2 separate ideas joined together = doesn't connect well or implies the role of sharp tongue ( My understanding )

E : SKM, with a sharp tongue, is rude = this implies sharp tongue plays a role in SKM being rude

Thus my take E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
B – obviously more dangerous is what we say when we speak
E – looks good from gmat perspective but ‘more obviously dangerous’ doesn’t seem to be right. Can one of the experts pls explain..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 553 [7]
Given Kudos: 17
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bull78 wrote:
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

a) javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
b) javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
c) javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
d) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

Was very easy to get it down to B and E.
Later, I chose E because E is more close to what this sentence wants to say.
"Its because of the sharp point, javelin looks obviously more dangerous".
B - when we use 'and' conjunction, it doesn't show any relationship b/w javelin's sharp point and its being dangerous.
So B gets eliminated. Not sure if everyone agrees with my reasoning, but this is how I got E.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bull78 wrote:
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

a) javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
b) javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
c) javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
d) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

Wonder no one has chosen D here?.
My take:

which modified point instead of javelin.

; is used to join independent clauses. however shows dependency from first clause.

Incorrect comparison

though bit wordy, doesnt have any grammatical error.
e) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however

incorrect use of ;. Dependent clauses are added. More obviously dangerous doesnt sound right , although I'm honestly not sure about this.

Correct Ans should be D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I think skmskm synthesized it quite well - it's all about that we have a dependent clause connected with AND in B, which shouldn't be the case here. Don't ask me why I prefered B over E.

One general question: Do we always assume in 700+ SC questions that the given answer choice A (no matter if correct or not) provides the genuine meaning, which the author wanted to convey?

Thanks in advance! Kudos guaranteed!

Best,
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [15]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bgpower wrote:
I think skmskm synthesized it quite well - it's all about that we have a dependent clause connected with AND in B, which shouldn't be the case here. Don't ask me why I prefered B over E.

One general question: Do we always assume in 700+ SC questions that the given answer choice A (no matter if correct or not) provides the genuine meaning, which the author wanted to convey?

Thanks in advance! Kudos guaranteed!

Best,

Hi there,

This is the sentence with Choice B:

The javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

This choice is not correct because it takes the reason that makes the javelin “more obviously dangerous”. Per this choice, the javelin has two traits:
1. It has a sharp point.
2. It is more dangerous than the discus.

This choice fails to say that the javelin becomes obviously dangerous because it has a sharp point. Choice E corrects this error. It clearly says that the javelin is more dangerous because of its sharp point.

Now let’s see the use of “more obviously dangerous” and “obviously more dangerous”. Notice the placement of the word “more”. In the original sentence, it modifies “obviously” and not “dangerous”. Javelin is obviously dangerous. But what makes it “more” obviously dangerous is its sharp point.

This brings us to the answer of the question you asked. The original sentence always sets the context in which the sentence has been written. It guides us toward the logical intended meaning of the sentence. At e-gmat, we add a lot of importance to spending time with the original sentence to understand the logical meaning. This goes for each and every sentence, easy or difficult.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi Shradha

Thanks for nice explanation why do you think D is not the correct answer......."Even though"i think rightly modifies the explanation following it.....also it has a comma before it rightly making it a dependable clause.
Does however introduces a dependable clause if yes than should it not be separated by a comma rather than using a semi colon
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos