Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [4]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting [#permalink]
sayantanc2k, thanks for a very simple and concise explanation! This is exactly what I needed.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Janybek wrote:
sayantanc2k, thanks for a very simple and concise explanation! This is exactly what I needed.

Hi Janybek,

thank you...feel free to post your queries. If you want to tag me, please add @ before my username (or from the menu above your typing pane select Mention this user tab) , rather than just typing my username. I would then get a notification and would try to help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k
Can you please explain the usage of "in that"
I thought "in that" also means 'because' . is it not?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
tryambaks wrote:
sayantanc2k
Can you please explain the usage of "in that"
I thought "in that" also means 'because' . is it not?

Hi tryambaks,

I shall try to help.

Instantly I could think of some of the usages of in that as follows:

X is similar to Y in that....
X is different from Y in that....

I am similar to my brother in that we both have very low patience.
I am different from my brother in that I like football, whereas he likes tennis.

There is generally a comparison using phrases such as similar to or different from, when we are trying to use in that in the sense somewhat similar to ( but not exactly) that of because.

Nonetheless in that and because are not directly interchangeable in all cases:

I did not go to school because I was sick.
I did not go to school in that I was sick... definitely wrong !

In summary:
because and in that are interchangeable, when used along with comparison phrases such as similar to and different from. In most other cases they are not interchangeable.

Does this explanation help?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
The jazz band's music transcends generational barriers by attracting people of all ages, with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles

a. with the fusing of both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- the fusing of is inferior to the fusion of and yet again fusion itself is inferior to the verb fuses used in C as per VAN protocol
b. in that it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles – ‘in that’ in this context is not a causal idiom but more of an explanatory or indicative expression that says X and Y just happen. However, we need a causal connection here.
c. for it fuses both modern funk and Dixieland styles – best choice
d. when they fuse both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- ‘they’ is plain subject –pronoun number error, as music is not plural
e. by the fusion that is of both modern funk and Dixieland styles -- fusion is inferior to the verb ‘fuses'. In addition ‘that is’ is not needed.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts