GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Josephus Problem has nothing to do with the GMAT. Learn it anyway.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
B
Affiliations: All Day Test Prep
Schools: Booth '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q167 V167
GPA: 3.58
The Josephus Problem has nothing to do with the GMAT. Learn it anyway.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2020, 14:42

The Josephus Problem is not a GMAT problem and it doesn’t directly cover any GMAT-related concepts. It’s not a data sufficiency question, it’s not multiple-choice, and it certainly can’t be done in 2-3 minutes. 99% of people with an MBA will have never heard of it. And yet, it might be the single greatest question you can learn to improve your GMAT quant score.

The fact that you won’t find The Josephus Problem in any GMAT Textbook is precisely what makes it so valuable. Its worth lies entirely in the fact that it forces you to confront a situation for which there is no textbook solution. It requires you to ask, “How do I solve a problem that’s never been proposed before?”

What the Josephus Problem is teaching is not math and neither is what the GMAT is testing. The Josephus Problem is a logic problem and the GMAT is a logic test. Math problems have solutions that can be memorized top down. Logic problems must be solved from the bottom up and rarely have a single optimal approach. Yes, the GMAT requires you to know things like adding fractions, but if that’s what ad-coms were really interested in, Wharton would be out recruiting at your little cousins middle school instead of the Fortune 500. In other words, any math knowledge needed on the GMAT is a NECESSARY but not SUFFICIENT condition to doing well.

Above the fundamentals, the skills the GMAT is really testing are your abilities to organize, simplify, and translate information. These are the exact skills needed to crack The Josephus Problem which is why I encourage all my students to take the time to learn it now and thank me later.

Stay safe and study hard!

Unlimited private GMAT Tutoring for less than the cost a generic prep course. Online or in-person
https://www.alldaytestprep.com

GMAT Club Bot
The Josephus Problem has nothing to do with the GMAT. Learn it anyway.   [#permalink] 04 May 2020, 14:42

The Josephus Problem has nothing to do with the GMAT. Learn it anyway.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep