GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 09:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:01) correct 39% (01:03) wrong based on 364 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they were too stupefied, drunk, and startled to react effectively.

(A) had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they
(B) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they
(C) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels had broken into the castle, and thus the guests
(D) had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus the guests
(E) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels were breaking into the castle, and furthermore they
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 09:39
bharat111 wrote:
The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they were too stupefied, drunk, and startled to react effectively.

(A) had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they
(B) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they
(C) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels had broken into the castle, and thus the guests
(D) had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus the guests
(E) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels were breaking into the castle, and furthermore they

The Q is testing us on two points..
1) pronoun :- 'they' in and thus they is ambiguous .. it could refer to rebels or guests, so A,B and E out..
2) past perfect :- C is wrong on the usage of past perfect..

ans D

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 10:14
A, B and E can be dumped for the simple reason that 'they' has an ambiguous reference to either the guests or rebels.
Between C and D: by the time in effect means before. Therefore, the feasting was an earlier event while breaking in was a later event. As such, use of past perfect 'had had' for the guests and simple past 'broke' for the rebels is correct in D. C, in fact, reverses the order of the tense usage.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 21:13
This is quite an interesting question- the key identifier is the pronoun they. They refers to the guests and not the goons breaking in so

(A) had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they, This they can refer to any one of the rebels or the guests. Hence wrong choice.
(B) had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus they: Same problem as A
(C)had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels had broken into the castle, and thus the guests
Had broken, no the actions occurred at that instant, not in the past. Thus it should be simple past broke into.
D)had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus the guests : YAY, Mr right answer :P
(E)had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels were breaking into the castle, and furthermore they: Both furthermore and they, what the hell is happening :)

Hope this helps !
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 04:16
Hi Experts,

I understand why correct answer is correct as explained in above replies. However, 'they' in choice A cannot logically refer to rebels, or can it?

'The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves at the feast by the time the rebels broke into the castle, and thus rebels were too stupefied, drunk, and startled to react effectively' doesn't make sense.

Please help me understand why choice A is ambiguous if meaning is also important?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 08:54
Why do we need past perfect in this? We are given the time marker - by the time- so past perfect does not seem mandatory?
Also, I don't think THEY is ambigous. It should be referring to guests only as the subject is guest and they had the feasts so logically the subject of next IC should be guest.
Experts - pease suggest.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 10:56
rakaisraka wrote:
Why do we need past perfect in this? We are given the time marker - by the time- so past perfect does not seem mandatory?
Also, I don't think THEY is ambigous. It should be referring to guests only as the subject is guest and they had the feasts so logically the subject of next IC should be guest.
Experts - pease suggest.

Query 1:
I am not very clear about this query. For the very reason that the time marker is there ( depicting an event in past, i.e. "broke"), past perfect (had had) is required to depict a further past event. It may be useful to remember that whenever you see the phrase "By X" where X is a time reference in past, either by a clause or simple by a point of time, you have to use past perfect for the earlier event.

By 1999, I had completed writing ten books.... correct.
By the time you started writing, I had already completed writing ten books.... correct.

Query 2:
You are absolutely right. If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, one of which is the subject of another clause within the sentence, the pronoun would, by virtue of parallelism, unambiguously refer to the subject antecedent. Thus "they" refers to "guests" without ambiguity.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 13:21
I shortlisted my options between A and D, then I selected A since I thought that THEY unambiguously refers to the guests.
If that is true, then OA should be revised.
Please guide.. I am not able to judge whether the pronoun is ambiguous.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 09:16
startjumprun wrote:
I shortlisted my options between A and D, then I selected A since I thought that THEY unambiguously refers to the guests.
If that is true, then OA should be revised.
Please guide.. I am not able to judge whether the pronoun is ambiguous.

This topic has already been discussed. "They" is alright in option A. A and D are both correct. There seems to have been an oversight by the question writer.
Re: The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves...   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2017, 09:16

The king's guests had had plenty of time to glut themselves...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap