It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1852 [2], given: 289

The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (01:48) correct 33% (01:55) wrong based on 474 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The municipality introduced DDA poison, improving the situation, but resulting in the death of many Klacktop birds. To prevent the death of the Klacktops, DDB poison was introduced which resulted in the death of many Gellowtop frogs. Some of the public believe that since the rat infestation poses a significant threat to the Larynxtown citizens' health, any measures, irrelevant of the harm caused to wildlife, must be taken to cease it. The industrial zone neighbors the habitats of certain wildlife species that are protected by law so the introduction of poisons is probably not the solution to this particular infestation.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first provides support for the argument's main position; the second objects to this position.
B) The first states a position that challenges that supported by the argument's conclusion; the second is evidence used to further support that conclusion.
C) The first challenges the main position of the argument; the second gives support to that challenge.
D) The first describes evidence that supports the argument's conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
E) The first is a position that opposes that established by the argument; the second is a conclusion to the argument.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1852 [2], given: 289

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2014, 06:11
E it is :The first is a position that opposes that established by the argument; the second is a conclusion to the argument.

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 61

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1929 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2014, 08:04
"that established by the argument" : please define this part of the answer.

Position established so far in the argument before that bold part or what argument trying to establish as a whole i.e. final conclusion.

If I infer what argument establishes as a whole i.e conclusion then E is not correct answer.

I was between D and E. :(

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1929 [0], given: 229

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 12:03
PiyushK wrote:
"that established by the argument" : please define this part of the answer.

Position established so far in the argument before that bold part or what argument trying to establish as a whole i.e. final conclusion.

If I infer what argument establishes as a whole i.e conclusion then E is not correct answer.

I was between D and E. :(

"that established by the argument" = argument/conclusion = The industrial zone neighbors the habitats of certain wildlife species that are protected by law so the introduction of poisons is probably not the solution to this particular infestation.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2015, 00:48
Yes, it is E. Not a good question though

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 33

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 193 [3], given: 75

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The municipality introduced DDA poison, improving the situation, but resulting in the death of many Klacktop birds. To prevent the death of the Klacktops, DDB poison was introduced which resulted in the death of many Gellowtop frogs. Some of the public believe that since the rat infestation poses a significant threat to the Larynxtown citizens' health, any measures, irrelevant of the harm caused to wildlife, must be taken to cease it. The industrial zone neighbors the habitats of certain wildlife species that are protected by law so the introduction of poisons is probably not the solution to this particular infestation.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A) The first provides support for the argument's main position; the second objects to this position.
B) The first states a position that challenges that supported by the argument's conclusion; the second is evidence used to further support that conclusion.
C) The first challenges the main position of the argument; the second gives support to that challenge.
D) The first describes evidence that supports the argument's conclusion; the second is that conclusion.
E) The first is a position that opposes that established by the argument; the second is a conclusion to the argument.

Two colored (in red) words determine the role of the portions.
1- First is a believe, so it cannot be an evidence. And it is against (oppose, challenge) the second bold portion. Thus, we eliminate A and D
2- Just prior to the second bold portion "SO" indicates that it is the conclusion of the argument and it is not supported by the 1st bold portion. Thus, eliminate B and C.
E is the answer.

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Kudos [?]: 193 [3], given: 75

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 06:58
I don't really get the reasoning of the passage. Please explain.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3622 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 00:05
hongson1706 wrote:

The argument is as follows:

Premise 1: Poisons kill both rats and wildlife.
Premise 2: Wildlife is protected by law.
Conclusion: Poisons cannot be used to kill rats...... (BF2)

Counter-view: Poisons should be used to kill rats irrespective of harm to wildlife. (BF1)

Thus correct answer is E.

Please let me know, if you still have doubts.

Kudos [?]: 3622 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2017, 11:21
hongson1706 wrote:

the argument starts off with some background information on the zone's battle with rats. It talks about various poisons the zone used to try to kill off the rats, and the collateral damage that comes with them (killing off birds and frogs.) These lead to the conclusion (triggered by the word BELIEVE) that residents assert, that all measures are necessary to stop the spread of rats.

So at this point you know boldface one serves as a conclusion of the argument asserted by the citizens.

The final sentence introduces the new piece of information that the zone is close to a protected habitat area SO it's probably not the best idea to go shock and awe on the rats at the risk of harming the other animals in the area.

So at this point we know the author's conclusion, that it's not the best idea to take any means necessary to rid the zone of rats.

Therefore, the boldface serves the roles of (1) a conclusion asserted by the residents that is the opposite of the authors and (2) the author's conclusion.

The only one that fits this structure is E. Hope this helps!

PA

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 412

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 03:30
Answer (E)

Was scratching my head looking for "main verb" in the last sentence to understand what it means, until i realized that "neighbors" is not subject but the actual main verb. Took good amount of time, need to strengthen my SC kills.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 412

Re: The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2017, 03:30

The Larynxtown industrial zone is infested with rats. The

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap