Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Assumptionx   Complete the Passagex                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Re: The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer call [#permalink]
karlfurt wrote:
why not D?
If the paintings were made well before 16000 years ago, it could be at a time when the deers had a hump which could have disapeared progressively.

The question reads like this - "Fossils of this animal, however, do not show any hump. Nevertheless, there is no reason to conclude that the cave paintings are therefore inaccurate in this regard, since ______."

In this regard is referring to Fossils of animals i.e. considering fossils of animals found, there is no reason to conclude that paintings are inaccurate. Thus, answer choice to be picked should have fossilization in the context.

Plus, D says "D. the cave paintings of the giant deer were painted well before 16,000 years ago".. If that was the case, then probably the paintings were created of some other species who lived well before 16000 years ago from now, and not the giant deer which lived about 16000 years ago from now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer call [#permalink]
nitinlgb wrote:
C

karlfurt wrote:
why not D?
If the paintings were made well before 16000 years ago, it could be at a time when the deers had a hump which could have disapeared progressively.

D could be easily refuted by an argument - that may be the painting depict some other species of deer (which lived in the different time period) rather than the one in question. C is best suited here.

Also the focus is on the hump, being in the fossil or not. So C is better option than D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Bookmarks
Looking at option D, we cannot confirm that the paintings are accurate wrt animal having a large hump back if they are drawn before 16,000 years ago when some of the deers were alive.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
D is a trap. Although D looks like a common a pattern that relates with the timeline, D in this question does not have that pattern.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry,

Isn't option C refuting the premise: Fossils are found without a hump.

Argument is pretty straightforward that paintings are not incorrect even though we have fossils without hump.

Please help!
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Isn't option C refuting the premise: Fossils are found without a hump.

Argument is pretty straightforward that paintings are not incorrect even though we have fossils without hump.

Please help!

Dear gmatexam439,

I'm happy to respond :-)

My friend, many students labor under the misconception that ALL outside information is irrelevant to the GMAT CR. It's true that one doesn't need specific knowledge of the topic--in this instance, the giant deer--but one definitely has to have a sense of how the real world works. Think about it. Why does the GMAT ask Critical Reasoning questions? The GMAT has this question precisely because managers in the real world need to evaluate arguments of all kinds every day. In order to be successful on the GMAT CR, you have to have a keen sense of the business world and you need to have a grasp of the basic scientific facts that everyone learns in school. See:
GMAT Critical Reasoning and Outside Knowledge

Choice (C) does NOT refute the premise. Fossils are made of bone. Bone, the only rock-like part of the body, is the only part that endures like rock for centuries, even millennia. By contrast, the humps that these giant deer had were "fatty tissue, which doos not fossilize." Much in the same way, if you looked, say, at the skeleton of a camel, you wouldn't see the spine curve up into the humps. The humps of a camel are a real anatomical feature that we can see, but this feature is not reflected in the skeleton.

The live animal, whether the ancient giant deer or the modern camel, has the fatty humps we can see: they are part of the living animal. Ancient cave painters, seeing the living giant deer, would have seen its hump. When the animal dies and rots away, so only the rock-like bones of the fossil are left, no hump would be visible on either animal. Thus, the animal really has a hump and the fossil doesn't.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you mikemcgarry for the quick response.

But isn't the language used in the option bit extreme -- "animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize". Maybe a better structure would have been such as "animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize EASILY".

This creates a lot of difference. I understand that we need to use outside information smartly, but we need to be wary of "exaggerated options" also.

Please elucidate.

Regards
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Thank you mikemcgarry for the quick response.

But isn't the language used in the option bit extreme -- "animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize". Maybe a better structure would have been such as "animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize EASILY".

This creates a lot of difference. I understand that we need to use outside information smartly, but we need to be wary of "exaggerated options" also.

Please elucidate.

Regards

Dear gmatexam439,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, context is everything! Don't get caught in the trap of applying a one-size-fits-all rule.

Think about it. In human affairs--the business world, the political realm, social movements, etc.--there really is no true "always" or "never" statement. The human realm is one of exceptions. This is precisely why extreme statements on these issues are suspect. There are general trends, of course--most scientists would say that evolution is scientifically accepted, most people flying for business fly first class, most environmentalists are politically liberal, etc. All of those and many other similar statements are perfectly true with "most" but would be false with "all."

By contrast, the natural sciences and mathematics are realms were things frequently are always or never true.
No multiple of 12 is a prime number.
A positive electrical charge is always attracted to a negative charge.
When an object is accelerating, this acceleration always indicates the presence of an unbalanced force.
Soft animal tissue (i.e. not bone, teeth, shell, etc.) never fossilizes.

Those may be "extreme" sounding statements, but they are perfectly true.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Hello mikemcgarry,

This makes a lot of sense Mike. Thank you for your patience :)

Regards
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
imaru wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.: 13
Page: 120
Difficulty:

Which of following most logically completes the argument?

The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer called the giant dear lived in Ireland about 16,000 years ago. Prehistoric cave paintings in France depict this animal as having a large hump on its back. Fossils of this animal, however, do not show any hump. Nevertheless, there is no reason to conclude that the cave paintings are therefore inaccurate in this regard, since ______.

A. some prehistoric cave paintings in France also depict other animals as having a hump
B. fossils of the giant deer are much more common in Ireland than in France
C. animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize
D. the cave paintings of the giant deer were painted well before 16,000 years ago
E. only one currently existing species of deer has any anatomical feature that even remotely resembles a hump

The only phrase that tricked me is "fatty tissue, which does not fossilize" and I went for D with which also I was not satisfied. But as we need to pick from the given choices I picked D. C seems to me countering the premise. If humps do not fossilize, then how they found fossil without hump?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
karlfurt wrote:
why not D?
If the paintings were made well before 16000 years ago, it could be at a time when the deer had a hump which could have disappeared progressively.

D doesn't solve the issue why the fossil doesn't have the hump though it is in the painting, therefore, it is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I don't understand why (C) is the correct answer here. after reading the prompt, I was looking for something that is exactly the opposite of what (C) says.
What am I missing here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM
ChiranjeevSingh, egmat

I am confused between C and D.
D is talking about giant deer as mentioned in the argument. Now if we suppose that we are living in 2020 and the deer existed till 2010. The paintings were carved in 2009. So, they must have seen the deer and then painted it. So, the painting must be accurate right?
I tried negating both the options and D seems to me a better choice than C.
If the painting was carved in 2011, then the animal is already extinct. How can we say for sure that the painting is not inaccurate.

luckyatc

Originally posted by uchihaitachi on 12 Jun 2020, 23:01.
Last edited by uchihaitachi on 11 Jul 2020, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
karlfurt wrote:
why not D?

In CR Questions we must avoid answers that require us taking an additional logical leap which is not clearly stated in the question.

Your assumption, 'it could be at a time when the deers had a hump which could have disappeared progressively' is not given to us in the question at all. Thus you will be introducing additional information into the question prompt, which you shouldn't do.

The answer to CR questions should be clear and be able to fit into the question prompt without making any additional logical leap.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer called the giant deer lived in Ireland about 16,000 years ago. Prehistoric cave paintings in France depict this animal as having a large hump on its back. Fossils of this animal, however, do not show any hump. Nevertheless, there is no reason to conclude that the cave paintings are therefore inaccurate in this regard, since __________.

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some prehistoric cave paintings in France also depict other animals as having a hump

Irrelevant, the animal in question is the now-extinct species of wild deer.

(B) fossils of the giant deer are much more common in Ireland than in France

Irrelevant…it would be silly to conclude that the cave paintings are accurate b/c there are more fossils in Ireland…suppose there only one such fossil in France…that could be all that’s needed to validate the conclusion (provided it provides some sort of substantive supporting evidence)

(C) animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize

Correct! Now we understand why we didn’t see any humps in the fossils.

(D) the cave paintings of the giant deer were painted well before 16,000 years ago

It seems the suggestion here is that the paintings ARE inaccurate perhaps because the deer lived in Ireland about 16K years ago. Well, then why conclude that the paintings are accurate?

(E) only one currently existing species of deer has any anatomical feature that even remotely resembles a hump

Irrelevant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
TooLong150 wrote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/which-of-following-most-logically-completes-the-argument-33561.html

Which of following most logically completes the argument?

The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer called the giant dear lived in Ireland about 16,000 years ago. Prehistoric cave paintings in France depict this animal as having a large hump on its back. Fossils of this animal, however, do not show any hump. Nevertheless, there is no reason to conclude that the cave paintings are therefore inaccurate in this regard, since ______.

Notes
Ancient deer lived somewhere.
Paintings show deer with hump.
Fossils no hump.
C: paintings not inaccurate,
because

A. some prehistoric cave paintings in France also depict other animals as having a hump

Wrong:
Other animals Out of scope

B. fossils of the giant deer are much more common in Ireland than in France

Wrong: incidence of Fossils are not an issue in argument

C. animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which dose not fossilize

Correct: People saw animal with hump, but Fossils did not capture it.
Negating Answer weakens argument, because it shows that Fossils would have captured the hump, but didn't and Therfore the paintings were inaccurate.

D. the cave paintings of the giant deer were painted well before 16,000 years ago

Wrong, because it shows that the painters did not capture the correct animal. This weakens the argument.

E. only one currently existing species of deer has any anatomical feature that even remotely resembles a hump

Wrong :
Out of scope: we aren't taking about currently existing species of deer.

hello TooLong150 you meant "paintings were correct?" please see highlighted part on your post

dear verbal experts, mikemcgarry, GMATNinja what will be correct logical opposite of option C?

"animal humps are not composed of fatty tissue, which fossilize"?

or

"animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which fossilize"

or

"animal humps are not composed of fatty tissue, which dose not fossilize" :dazed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
HERE WE GO!

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

The last members of a now-extinct species of a European wild deer called the giant deer lived in Ireland about 16,000 years ago. Prehistoric cave paintings in France depict this animal as having a large hump on its back. Fossils of this animal, however, do not show any hump. Nevertheless, there is no reason to conclude that the cave paintings are therefore inaccurate in this regard, since __________.

We need something realistic possibility that is able to clarify the mismatch between fossils and depictions.

(A) some prehistoric cave paintings in France also depict other animals as having a hump > irrelevant, stem is about deer
(B) fossils of the giant deer are much more common in Ireland than in France > irrelevant - it can be found in Azerbaijan or in Hungary also but doesn't make sense
(C) animal humps are composed of fatty tissue, which does not fossilize > AHA> This clearly concludes the sentence that this fatty tissue is disposed after some time..
(D) the cave paintings of the giant deer were painted well before 16,000 years ago > incorrect
(E) only one currently existing species of deer has any anatomical feature that even remotely resembles a hump > irrelevant
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts