Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19726 [192]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [82]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29918 [20]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [8]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: The letters C, I, R, C, L, and E can be used to form 6-letter strings [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:
The letters C, I, R, C, L, and E can be used to form 6-letter strings such as CIRCLE or CCIRLE. Using these letters, how many different 6-letter strings can be formed in which the two occurrences of the letter C are separated by at least one other letter?

A. 96
B. 120
C. 144
D. 180
E. 240

PS54110.01

Let’s determine the number of ways in which the letters C are next to each other:

[C-C] - I - R - L - E

We treat the two letters [CC] as a single letter since they are always together. Thus, we are in essence arranging 5 letters. This above can be arranged in 5! = 120 ways

The 6 letters C - C - I - R - L - E can be arranged in 6! / 2! = 720/2 = 360.

So, the number of ways to arrange the letters in which the two C’s are separated by at least one letter (i.e., not next to each other) is 360 - 120 = 240.

Answer: E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The letters C, I, R, C, L, and E can be used to form 6-letter strings [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We're told the letters C, I, R, C, L, and E are to be used to form 6-letter strings such as CIRCLE or CCIRLE. We're asked for the number of different 6-letter strings that can be formed in which the two occurrences of the letter C are separated by AT LEAST one other letter. There are a couple of different ways to approach this question - and if you don't know an elegant way to approach it, then you can still get the correct answer with a little permutation math and some 'brute force.'

If the first letter is a C, then the second letter CANNOT be an C (that second letter would have to be one of the other 4 non-C letters)...

C 4

From here, any of the four remaining letters can be in the 3rd spot. After placing one, any of the remaining three letters can be in the 4th spot, etc. and the last letter would be in the 6th spot...

C 4 4 3 2 1

This would give us (4)(4)(3)(2)(1) = 96 possible arrangements with a C in the 1st spot.

If a non-C is in the 1st spot and a C is in the 2nd spot, then we have...

4 C _ _ _ _

A non-C would have to be in the 3rd spot (3 options), then any of the remaining three letters could be 4th, etc...

4 C 3 3 2 1

This would give us (4)(3)(3)(2)(1) = 72 possible arrangements

Next, we could have two non-Cs to start off, then Cs in following spots...

4 3 C 2 1 C --> (4)(3)(2)(1) = 24 possible arrangements
4 3 C 2 C 1 --> (4)(3)(2)(1) = 24 possible arrangements
4 3 2 C 1 C --> (4)(3)(2)(1) = 24 possible arrangements

This would give us an additional (3)(24) =72 possible arrangements

There are no other options to account for, so we have 96+72+72 = 240 total arrangements.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:
The letters C, I, R, C, L, and E can be used to form 6-letter strings such as CIRCLE or CCIRLE. Using these letters, how many different 6-letter strings can be formed in which the two occurrences of the letter C are separated by at least one other letter?

A. 96
B. 120
C. 144
D. 180
E. 240

PS54110.01

Answer: Option E

The DETAILED video explanation of the problem is attached

Get the VIDEO solution of ALL QUANT problems of "GMAT Official Advanced Questions" here.

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for FREE resource

Subscribe Topic-wise UN-bundled Video course. CHECK FREE Sample Videos
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [3]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Total number of combinations possible= 6!/2=360
Number of combinations with 2 Cs together = 5!=120
Number of combinations with 2 Cs separated = 360-120= 240

Hence E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [3]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:

A. 96
B. 120
C. 144
D. 180
E. 240

PS54110.01

Alternatively, a different approach could be to actually list down the cases
C_ C _ _ _ The intermediate letters can be arranged in 4! ways. C need not come in the first position and can be moved around 4 spaces to the right(keeping space between the C as one) so 4! * 4
C_ _C _ _ 4! * 3 (C's can be shifted only 3 places to the right)
C_ _ _C _ 4! * 2
C_ _ _ _C 4! * 1

Total=4! * 4 + 4! * 3 + 4! * 2 + 4! * 1= 4!*10 = 240
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Total possible arrangements for CIRCLE ; 6!/2! ; 360
and arrangements for CCIRLE ; CC; X ; XIRLE; 5! ; 120
so different 6-letter strings can be formed in which the two occurrences of the letter C are separated by at least one other letter = 360-120 ; 240
IMO E

gmatt1476 wrote:

A. 96
B. 120
C. 144
D. 180
E. 240

PS54110.01
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29918 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Gmatboat wrote:
Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, in considering the number of words that DO have adjacent C's, shouldn't the formula be 5!/2!? Since the 2 "Cs" are repeated?

When we "glue" the two C's together, we have a single entity, which means we have a total of 5 different objects to arrange.
We can arrange 5 different objects in 5! ways.
Since there are no duplicates among these 5! possible outcomes, we need not divide by 2
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RohitSaluja wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Gmatboat wrote:
Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, in considering the number of words that DO have adjacent C's, shouldn't the formula be 5!/2!? Since the 2 "Cs" are repeated?

When we "glue" the two C's together, we have a single entity, which means we have a total of 5 different objects to arrange.
Since there are no duplicates among these 5! possible outcomes, we need not divide by 2

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow VeritasKarishma, Please clarify whether my understanding of the above is correct, when we combine/glue similar entities together, they can be treated as unique for example in the word Mississippi

We have 4 S, 4 I, 2 P, and 1 M, if for "Mississippi" we were to find arrangments in which 'S' should be separated by at least one letter and 'I' should also be separated by at least 1 letter then we could treat it as having 4 distinct letters right

1 X, X represents 4 S
1 Y, Y represents 4 I
2 P and 1 M

so the solution to finding arrangements to a problem where all S should be together and so do I's would be below:

Total ways = 11! / (4! * 4! * 2!)

Bad combination (Together) = 4! / 2! (Division by 2! is for repeating P)

Answer = Total ways - Bad combination
Bad combination

When a letter is repeated 4 times and if we want that there should be at least one letter between each of two occurrences, that case is different from a letter occurring two times and we putting in at least one letter between them.

When there are 2 instances, we glue them together and take them as unacceptable cases. In all other cases, the two are not together.
But when 4 are glued together and we take them as unacceptable and all other cases as acceptable then we are assuming that ...MMMSM..., MMSMIM... etc are acceptable. But that is not what we want.
We don't want even one pair of M's to be together. These questions are handled differently.

Check this:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/find-the-num ... 87580.html
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
Total Number of possibilities for a 6 digit word = 6! = 720
In the word "Circle" , the letter C is repeated twice so , we divide the value by 2! , we get 6!/2! = 360

Restriction:
The letters C should not be next to each other.
Lets consider both the C as one element , {CC},I,R,L,E - We get total combinations as 5! , which is 120

Final answer
Total possibilities without restriction - number of ways with restriction
360-120 = 240

Ans: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Can someone answer this question using another approach ?

What I did was arranged the letters C & C keeping a space of atleast one letter between them and arranging the remaining 4 letters in 4! Ways.

That gives me a total of 4! * 4 = 96. Need help !

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SiddharthR,

Based on your answer, are you assuming that a "C" must occupy the 'first letter" in the word - with the second "C" occupying the third, fourth, fifth or sixth letter? How about when the first letter is NOT a "C"...?

For example: _ C _ _ _ C

Once you consider all of those additional options, you'll have the correct answer.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

A. 96
B. 120
C. 144
D. 180
E. 240

We can use the rule that says: TOTAL number of outcomes if we IGNORE the rule = (number of outcomes that FOLLOW the rule) + (number of outcomes that BREAK the rule)
In other words: Number of ways to arrange the 6 letter if we IGNORE the rule = (number of words that DON'T have adjacent C's) + (number of words that DO have adjacent C's)

Rearrange to get: number of words that DON'T have adjacent C's = (Number of ways to arrange the 6 letter if we IGNORE the rule) - (number of words that DO have adjacent C's)

Number of ways to arrange the 6 letter if we IGNORE the rule
If we IGNORE the rule, then we are arranging the letters in CIRCLE
Since we have DUPLICATE letters, we can apply the MISSISSIPPI rule (see video below)

In the word CIRCLE:
There are 6 letters in total
There are 2 identical C's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 6!/(2!) = 360

number of words that DO have adjacent C's
Take the two C's and "glue" them together to get the SUPER LETTER "CC"
This ensures that the C's are together
We now must arrange CC, I, R, L, E
We can arrange n different objects in n! ways
So, we can arrange CC, I, R, L, and E in 5! ways (= 120 ways)
So, number of words that DO have adjacent C's = 120

So, number of words that DON'T have adjacent C's = 360 - 120 = 240

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, in considering the number of words that DO have adjacent C's, shouldn't the formula be 5!/ 2!? Since the 2 "Cs" are repeated?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Gmatboat wrote:

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow VeritasKarishma, Please clarify whether my understanding of the above is correct, when we combine/glue similar entities together, they can be treated as unique for example in the word Mississippi

We have 4 S, 4 I, 2 P, and 1 M, if for "Mississippi" we were to find arrangments in which 'S' should be separated by at least one letter and 'I' should also be separated by at least 1 letter then we could treat it as having 4 distinct letters right

1 X, X represents 4 S
1 Y, Y represents 4 I
2 P and 1 M

so the solution to finding arrangements to a problem where all S should be together and so do I's would be below:

Bad combination
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29918 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
RohitSaluja wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Gmatboat wrote:

1 X, X represents 4 S
1 Y, Y represents 4 I
2 P and 1 M

Bad combination

Not quite.
If we want arrangements in which 'S' is separated by at least one letter, there are several different ways to break that rule.
- one way to break the rule is to have an arrangement where all 4 S's and all I's are together (e.g., MIIIIPSSSSP)
- another way to break the rule, is to have 3 S's together as in this example: MISSSIPIPSI
And so on

Your solution only addresses the situation where we break the rule by having all 4 S's and all I's are together
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

A. 96
B. 120
C. 144
D. 180
E. 240

We can use the rule that says: TOTAL number of outcomes if we IGNORE the rule = (number of outcomes that FOLLOW the rule) + (number of outcomes that BREAK the rule)
In other words: Number of ways to arrange the 6 letter if we IGNORE the rule = (number of words that DON'T have adjacent C's) + (number of words that DO have adjacent C's)

Rearrange to get: number of words that DON'T have adjacent C's = (Number of ways to arrange the 6 letter if we IGNORE the rule) - (number of words that DO have adjacent C's)

Number of ways to arrange the 6 letter if we IGNORE the rule
If we IGNORE the rule, then we are arranging the letters in CIRCLE
Since we have DUPLICATE letters, we can apply the MISSISSIPPI rule (see video below)

In the word CIRCLE:
There are 6 letters in total
There are 2 identical C's
So, the total number of possible arrangements = 6!/(2!) = 360

number of words that DO have adjacent C's
Take the two C's and "glue" them together to get the SUPER LETTER "CC"
This ensures that the C's are together
We now must arrange CC, I, R, L, E
We can arrange n different objects in n! ways
So, we can arrange CC, I, R, L, and E in 5! ways (= 120 ways)
So, number of words that DO have adjacent C's = 120

So, number of words that DON'T have adjacent C's = 360 - 120 = 240

RELATED VIDEO

Should'nt it be 5!*2! because two c's internally can be placed in either ways?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29918 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Jaya6 wrote:
Should'nt it be 5!*2! because two c's internally can be placed in either ways?

That would be correct IF the two C's were different.
However, since the two C's are identical, there's only 1 way to arrange them together.
MBA House Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Concepts involved.
Mutually exclusive sets.
Permutation with repetition.
Attachments

1E953943-7852-4C0A-A65B-485693223AA1.jpeg
1E953943-7852-4C0A-A65B-485693223AA1.jpeg [ 845.4 KiB | Viewed 14190 times ]

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts