Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16651 [106]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [47]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618967 [40]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618967 [21]
Send PM
Re: The line represented by the equation y = 4 – 2x is the perpendicular [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
priyalr wrote:
Hello,

This is how I solved the problem. Since the Slope of line is -2, the line perpendicular to it would have SLope as 1/2. So I used R(4,1) and each options to see which one gives Slope as 1/2. Only option D gives me the co ordinates through which the SLope is 1/2. It took me around a minutes time to solve.

Please let me know if I'm correct ?

That's perfectly valid approach.

Two lines are perpendicular if and only the product of their slopes is -1. The slope of given line is -2, hence the slope of PR must be 1/2 (negative reciprocal of -2): 1/2*(-2)=-1.

Now, the slope of a line (a line segment) passing through two points \((x_1,y_1)\) and \((x_2,y_2)\) is \(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\).

So, for our case the slope of PR must be \(m=\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1-y_1}{4-x_1}\) and you can substitute x and y coordinates of each point from answer choices to see for which one this equation will hold true. Only coordinates of a point from option D fits.
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1422 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
Send PM
Re: The line represented by the equation y = 4 – 2x is the perpendicular [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
priyalr wrote:
Hello,

This is how I solved the problem. Since the Slope of line is -2, the line perpendicular to it would have SLope as 1/2. So I used R(4,1) and each options to see which one gives Slope as 1/2. Only option D gives me the co ordinates through which the SLope is 1/2. It took me around a minutes time to solve.

Two lines are perpendicular if and only the product of their slopes is -1. The slope of given line is -2, hence the slope of PR must be 1/2 (negative reciprocal of -2): 1/2*(-2)=-1.

Now, the slope of a line (a line segment) passing through two points \((x_1,y_1)\) and \((x_2,y_2)\) is \(m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}\).

So, for our case the slope of PR must be \(m=\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1-y_1}{4-x_1}\) and you can substitute x and y coordinates of each point from answer choices to see for which one this equation will hold true. Only coordinates of a point from option D fits.

let's have a look
Required slope for line PR = m= 1/2 ( using if two lines are perpendicular then their slopes m1 * m2 = -1 )
option D= ( 0,-1)
Option E = ( 2, 0)

so taking (4,1) and ( 0,-1) and finding slope
= -2/-4 = 1/2 which is of course what we are expecting ,

now taking (4,1) and (2,0) and finding slope

= -1/-2 = 1/2

So also E, satisfies the slope method
So what am I missing , it is said that only one option satisfies the equation 1/2 = (1-y1)/( 4-x1)
Taking E( 2,0)
(1-0)/(4-2) = 1/2

and taking D(0,-1)
(1+1)/(4-0)= 2/4= 1/2

so both D and E satisfy the slope condition , am I missing anything ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618967 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
stne wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
priyalr wrote:
Hello,

let's have a look
Required slope for line PR = m= 1/2 ( using if two lines are perpendicular then their slopes m1 * m2 = -1 )
option D= ( 0,-1)
Option E = ( 2, 0)

so taking (4,1) and ( 0,-1) and finding slope
= -2/-4 = 1/2 which is of course what we are expecting ,

now taking (4,1) and (2,0) and finding slope

= -1/-2 = 1/2

So also E, satisfies the slope method
So what am I missing , it is said that only one option satisfies the equation 1/2 = (1-y1)/( 4-x1)
Taking E( 2,0)
(1-0)/(4-2) = 1/2

and taking D(0,-1)
(1+1)/(4-0)= 2/4= 1/2

so both D and E satisfy the slope condition , am I missing anything ?

You can rule out (2,0) (option E), since this point is on the line y=4-2x.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel Bro, my question still remains : I understand E is on the line but why does E also result in slope of 1/2 . . E should cause the slope to be -2 since it is on the line. . why does it then cause the slope to be 1/2?

just trying to understand the math of slope here.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618967 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sachindia wrote:
Bunuel Bro, my question still remains : I understand E is on the line but why does E also result in slope of 1/2 . . E should cause the slope to be -2 since it is on the line. . why does it then cause the slope to be 1/2?

just trying to understand the math of slope here.

Point (2, 0) is on line segment PR (see diagram in my post above). PR is perpendicular to line y = 4 – 2x, thus ANY two point from line segment PR will give you the slope which is negative reciprocal of the slope of line y = 4 – 2x, i.e. 1/2.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [10]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Concrete way is to find the actual co-ordinates.

Slope of RP = 1/2 and by using 4,1 and slope the equation is y=x/2 -1

solve for point of intersection - x,y = 2,0.

now let P has co-ordinates (x,y)

since intersection is mid point.

(x+4)/2 = 2 and (y+1)/2 = 0 thus D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:

How do you get to know the point of intersection is 2,0?

I understood your solution till the previous step in which you found the equation of the line.
Math Expert
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:
Quote:

How do you get to know the point of intersection is 2,0?

I understood your solution till the previous step in which you found the equation of the line.

x-intercept is a value of x for y=0 and similarly y-intercept is a value of y for x=0.

To find x-intercept substitute y=0 and find x.
To find y-intercept substitute x=0 and find y.

For more check Coordinate Geometry chapter of Math Book: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bunuel, do you think these coordinates are not unique.
Any combination (x,y) for point P that satisfies the equation 2-2*y = 4-x will make RP perpendicular to the line y = 4-2x.
Am I correct to assert that?
Brother Karamazov
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ousmane wrote:
Bunuel, do you think these coordinates are not unique.
Any combination (x,y) for point P that satisfies the equation 2-2*y = 4-x will make RP perpendicular to the line y = 4-2x.
Am I correct to assert that?
Brother Karamazov

No, that's not correct. Line y = 4 – 2x not only has to be perpendicular of PR but also has to be bisector of PR (line y = 4 -2x cuts PR into two equal parts at 90°). Therefore the coordinates of P are unique.

Hope it's clear.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6273 [2]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
enigma123 wrote:
The line represented by the equation y = 4 – 2x is the perpendicular bisector of line segment RP. If R has the coordinates (4, 1), what are the coordinates of point P?

(A) (–4, 1)
(B) (–2, 2)
(C) (0, 1)
(D) (0, –1)
(E) (2, 0)

If the line y = 4 - 2x is the perpendicular bisector of line segment RP, then it’s perpendicular to RP at the midpoint of RP. Recall that two lines are perpendicular if their slopes are negative reciprocals of each other. Since the line has a slope of -2, the line segment should have a slope of ½. Thus, let’s first determine which answer choice can be point P so that the slope of RP is ½. We’ll use the slope formula: m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1):

A) (-4, 1)

m = (1 - 1)/(4 - (-4)) = 0

Point P can’t be (-4, 1).

B) (-2, 2)

m = (1 - 2)/(4 - (-2)) = -1/6

Point P can’t be (-2, 2).

C) (0, 1)

m = (1 - 1)/(4 - 0) = 0

Point P can’t be (0, 1).

D) (0, -1)

m = (1 - (-1))/(4 - 0) = 2/4 = 1/2

Point P could be (0, -1).

E) (2, 0)

m = (1 - 0)/(4 - 2) = 1/2

Point P could be (2, 0).

We see that point P could be either (0, -1) or (2, 0), since either one will make RP’s slope ½. Next let’s determine the midpoint of RP if P is either (0, -1) or (2, 0). We use the midpoint formula: ((x1 + x2)/2 , (y1 + y2)/2)). Recall that R = (4,1).

If P = (0, -1), then the midpoint of RP = ((4 + 0)/2, (1 + (-1))/2) = (2, 0).

If P = (2, 0), then the midpoint of RP = ((4 + 2)/2, (1 + 0)/2) = (3, 1/2).

Recall that the line y = 4 - 2x has to include the midpoint of RP. In other words, the midpoint of RP is a point on the line, and hence its coordinates will satisfy the equation of the line.

If P = (0, -1) and the midpoint of RP is (2, 0), is 0 = 4 - 2(2)? The answer is yes, since 0 = 0. We can see that choice D is the correct choice. However, let’s also show that choice E is not the correct choice:

If P = (2, 0) and the midpoint of RP is (3, 1/2), is 1/2 = 4 - 2(3)? The answer is no, since 1/2 ≠ -2.

Alternate Solution:

Since the line segment RP is perpendicular to y = 4 - 2x, the line containing RP must have a slope of 1/2, since the slopes of perpendicular lines are negative reciprocals of each other. Then, the line containing the line segment RP must be of the form y = (1/2)x + b, for some real number b. Since this line contains the point R, its equation must be satisfied when we substitute x = 4 and y = 1; therefore 1 = (1/2)(4) + b. Then, 1 = 2 + b, and thus b = -1.

We know the line that contains the line segment RP has an equation y = (1/2)x - 1. Let’s find the common point of this line with y = 4 - 2x. We set (1/2)x - 1 = 4 - 2x and solve for x:

(1/2)x -1 = 4 - 2x

(5/2)x = 5

x = 2

So, the x-coordinate of the common point is 2. We can substitute x = 2 in either equation to find the y-coordinate: y = 4 - 2(2) = 0. So, the common point is (2, 0).

Note that this common point is the midpoint of R and P. Therefore, if we let P = (a, b), we must have:

(a + 4)/2 = 2 and (b + 1)/2 = 0. We find that a = 0 and b = -1. Thus, P = (0, -1).

Answer: D
Math Expert
Send PM