Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig [#permalink]
Hi, I'm have a question regarding the use of "that" and "those"

In this question, since "animals" is a plural noun, should we use "those" instead of "that".
--> The list of animals those exhibit...

I thought "that" cannot be used with plural noun. So there is no such rules, right?

Thank you very much in advance.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig [#permalink]
Expert Reply
wutthiyo wrote:
Hi, I'm have a question regarding the use of "that" and "those"

In this question, since "animals" is a plural noun, should we use "those" instead of "that".
--> The list of animals those exhibit...

I thought "that" cannot be used with plural noun. So there is no such rules, right?

Hi! that is actually a very versatile word in English.

Please refer to my post on another thread, where I have described the various avatars of that: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-use-of-lie-detectors-is-based-on-the-assumption-that-103736.html#p1431999

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses the various avatars of that, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Much like Monday's QOTD, this one has a nice idiom... that really doesn't matter. Should it be "preference of", "preference to", "preference in", "preference for", or "preference as"? Answer: who cares? We have lots of parallelism and subject-verb to deal with first.

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Quote:
a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

"...list of animals that exhibits": the animals exhibit, not exhibits. Plus, the parallelism is wrong here, too: "either using... or the left hand." Eliminate (A).

Hi Gmatninja,
Is not - of animals - a prepositional phrase? I did not get SV agreement at first glance.
Is not list the main subject? Also is list treated as collective noun, meaning to be always treated as plural?
Lists - forms plural form of list, correct?
WR,
Arpit.
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for your response, however I am still confused in associating verb exhibits which is singular, with list.
Let me elaborate my query:
Prepositions list and animals are two nouns, joined by preposition of
As a thumb rule, to identify verb, I need to ignore prepositional phrase. Correct?
So here if I ignore of animals, I am left with main subject - List
Now you you already mentioned that list is singular subject, then did we use plural verb
exhibit since we took list of animals as plural subject?

Let me also try to separate clauses/ phrases:
Clause 1: The list of animals
that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
(here, that modifies noun animals and is followed by verb - exhibits)

(remaining part of clause 1): has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
here, like you mentioned SV no agreement is correct verb is singular and the list (of animals) is singular
I am purposely putting prepositional phrase in bracket to lay stress that the list - subject.
Also present perfect tense correctly suggests an event, whose effect is still continuing.

The only way I see to resolve confusion is if that acts as subject for exhibits,
then it makes sense since modifers that refers to plural noun animals.
Let me know gaps in my understanding.
WR,
Arpit.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Thanks for your response, however I am still confused in associating verb exhibits which is singular, with list.
Let me elaborate my query:
Prepositions list and animals are two nouns, joined by preposition of
As a thumb rule, to identify verb, I need to ignore prepositional phrase. Correct?
So here if I ignore of animals, I am left with main subject - List
Now you you already mentioned that list is singular subject, then did we use plural verb
exhibit since we took list of animals as plural subject?

Let me also try to separate clauses/ phrases:
Clause 1: The list of animals
that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
(here, that modifies noun animals and is followed by verb - exhibits)

(remaining part of clause 1): has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
here, like you mentioned SV no agreement is correct verb is singular and the list (of animals) is singular
I am purposely putting prepositional phrase in bracket to lay stress that the list - subject.
Also present perfect tense correctly suggests an event, whose effect is still continuing.

The only way I see to resolve confusion is if that acts as subject for exhibits,
then it makes sense since modifers that refers to plural noun animals.
Let me know gaps in my understanding.
WR,
Arpit.

Hello Arpit,

Thank you for the query. :)

Yes indeed that acts as a subject for the verb exhibits. The word list takes the singular verb has been expanded.

The sentence has two clauses:

Cl. 1: The list of animals

Cl. 2: that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)

Cont. of Cl. 1: has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Please bear in mind that a relative pronoun modifier always starts a dependent clause. In the above-mentioned official sentence, that acts as the subject of the clause that it starts. The usage of Relative Pronoun Modifiers has been covered elaborately with pertinent examples in the concept named Relative Pronoun Modifiers in the Modifiers block in our Sentence Correction course.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
IIM School Moderator
Send PM
Hi Shraddha,

Have you came across any OG examples where in THAT can jump over a noun.

I know the other relative pronoun modifier - which definitely can. :-D

WR,
Arpit
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi Shraddha,

Have you came across any OG examples where in THAT can jump over a noun.

I know the other relative pronoun modifier - which definitely can. :-D

WR,
Arpit

Hello Arpit,

Yes of course. If which can jump, then why can't that?

Take a look at the following correct official sentence:

The use of lie detectors is based on the assumption that lying produces emotional reactions in an individual that, in turn, create unconscious physiological response.

In the above-mentioned official sentence, that modifies emotional reactions.

But in the official question that we are discussing in this thread, that does not jump over the preceding noun. It modifies the immediate preceding noun animals.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
Send PM
Guys sorry for asking a really dumb question but in option A why is the subject animals because i read that if a noun is in a prepositional phase it cannot be a subject.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello abhimahna ,

I often get confused when to use singular or when to use plural verb in such type of structure i.e "noun phrase that verb" or "Noun+Prep Phrase that verb"

for example of "One of the cars that are" this is always plural. Is it same for prep phrase or is it meaning that decide for such questions?

For ex "List of animals that exhibit a preference " here list cannot exhibit a preference so it would be animals only.

But whats your opinion regarding the same to solidify one's understanding.

Thankyou in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig [#permalink]
In (B) and (E),
the list has been expanded and includes... how does this change the meaning?
if we ask '' the list has been expanded and what?
we can say --> ''the list has been expanded and includes another item (the lower vertebrates)''
the meaning seems okay. is my reasoning okay? please tell me more about on this issue. generis EducationAisle
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
soxy_topacio wrote:
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

A. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

B. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

C. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

D. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

E. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

subject verb

The list of animals that exhibit or exhibits
list = singular
animals close to verb and plural so exhibit will be used

prallelism
either x or y used
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM

Meaning Analysis: There is a list. This list consists of animals that show a preference of using the right or the left hand (and by hand we mean claw, paw, or foot). This list has now been expanded so as to include the lower vertebrates (animals that law eggs in water)

Sentence Structure:
The list (Subject)
of animals (Prepositional phrase modifying the previous noun "the list")
that (relative pronoun referring to "animals")
exhibits (singular verb to plural noun "animals")
a preference (object of the sentence)
of either (parallelism marker "either...or")
using the right (element 1 of parallelism)
or (end of parallelism marker "either...or")
the left hand (element 2 of parallelism marker)
(i.e. claw, paw, or foot) (examples/definition of "hand")
has been expanded (verb of subject "the list")(present perfect tense)
to include (infinitive - showing purpose of expanding this list)
the lower vertebrates. (explains what was included in the list)

Quote:
A. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

We clearly have a SV error. The plural subject "animals" has the singular verb "exhibits". This error is a deterministic one. We also notice that the parallelism out here is not quite right as well. Either X or Y, in this construction X and Y both MUST be parallel. However, the first element is "using the right (hand)" and the other is "the left hand". The ideal way of writing it would be "using either the right or the left hand"

Note - we cannot assume "using" to be elipsed. i.e. we cannot assume the sentence to be "either using the right hand or (using) the left hand". WHY? Because what comes after "either" MUST come after "or" as well.

Quote:
B. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

We again have the SV error of choice (A). The meaning of this choice is altered. Now the sentence essentially says that the list is expanded and the list includes. The cause (to include lower vertebrates) and the effect (expansion of list) is now lost.

I am also not sure why have we used the article the instead of a before "preference. "The" as an article is used to express something definite. E.g. "The book on the table is mine" Here I am talking about a specific book. But if we say "a book is made of paper" we are talking about books in general and not anything specific. Again, this probably isn't a deterministic error but it certainly makes this choice less desirable.

Quote:
C. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include.

The parallelism error has been repeated.

Quote:
D. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

All errors have been rectified and no new errors are made. Let us hold on to it.

Quote:
E. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

The parallelism error and the meaning error has been repeated. We also see (the less important) article error.

I believe "as to" out here is correct. The idiom "so as to" means in order to and that would be incorrect out here. BUT "as to" by itself means "concerning" and it makes complete sense to say "preference concerning..."

Correct Choice: (D)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor

A. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

C. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

If we use “either” before a verb, we need to use a verb after “or”.

Ex- I will either go out or spend time at home.

We cannot say I will go either out or spend time at home.

We use “either” after the verb if the verb is common to both objects.

Ex- I will go either to the mall or to the park.

(the verb “go” is common to both the objects- mall and park)

In the given question, we are talking about the “use” of either the right hand or the left. Hence A, C, and E can be eliminated.

It is not the list but the animals that exhibit a preference. Eliminate all options that use the singular verb “exhibits”. Eliminate options A and B.

Option D corrects all the errors stated above. Hence, D is correct.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

A. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include -> that modifies the closet noun, which is "animals". We need a plural verb. Incorrect.

B. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes -> Same as A. Incorrect.

C. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include -> either X or Y used here. X and Y must be parallel. "using the right" and "the left hand" are not parallel. Incorrect.

D. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include -> This is better. Let's keep it.

E. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes -> Same error as C. Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 386
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Retail Banking)
Send PM
that - Vital noun modifier - that exhibits .... follows touch noun rule . that means it always modifies the touching noun. In this case , 'that' modifies animals. So, animals (plural) that exhibit ... is a right approach

Errors : exhibits -wrong , either using the right or the left hand - wrong. we should follow either X or Y.So, A is out

B is out . It should be 'exhibit'.

Either using - wrong . We should follow 'either the right or the left hand'. C is out

Perfect

Same error as in C. e is out
D is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig [#permalink]
If we change option E to : - exhibit the preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes, then will it be right?
Some experts please put your input here. I think it will be right as now the list includes vertebrates too.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts