Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [167]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [46]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [32]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [21]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Much like Monday's QOTD, this one has a nice idiom... that really doesn't matter. Should it be "preference of", "preference to", "preference in", "preference for", or "preference as"? Answer: who cares? We have lots of parallelism and subject-verb to deal with first.

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Quote:
a. exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

"...list of animals that exhibits": the animals exhibit, not exhibits. Plus, the parallelism is wrong here, too: "either using... or the left hand." Eliminate (A).

Quote:
b. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

The parallelism is better, but the subject-verb agreement is still wrong. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
c. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Same parallelism error as in (A). (C) is gone, too.

Quote:
d. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

Subject-verb looks good, and so does the parallelism. Keep (D).

Quote:
e. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Same parallelism error as in (A) and (C). (E) is gone, and (D) is the answer.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the rig [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
soxy_topacio wrote:
The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

A. exhibits a preference of wither using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

B. exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

C. exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

D. exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include

E. exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is the key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that the list of animals that exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Idioms

• “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.
• The infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + include" in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose or intent of an action.

A: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "animals" with the singular verb "exhibits". Further, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between A ("using the right hand") and B ("the left hand") in the idiomatic construction "either A or B"; remember, “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "animals" with the singular verb "exhibits". Further, Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and includes"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the list of animals has been expanded, and as a separate action includes the lower vertebrates; the intended meaning is that the list of animals has been expanded for the purpose of including the lower vertebrates.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between A ("using the right hand") and B ("the left hand") in the idiomatic construction "either A or B"; remember, “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "animals" with the plural verb "exhibit". Further, Option D uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + include" in this sentence), conveying the intended meaning - that the list of animals has been expanded for the purpose of including the lower vertebrates; remember, the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + include" in this sentence) is the preferred construction for referring to the purpose or intent of an action. Additionally, Option D maintains parallelism between A ("the right") and B ("the left hand") in the idiomatic construction "either A or B".

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "and includes"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the list of animals has been expanded, and as a separate action includes the lower vertebrates; the intended meaning is that the list of animals has been expanded for the purpose of including the lower vertebrates. Further, Option E fails to maintain parallelism between A ("using the right hand") and B ("the left hand") in the idiomatic construction "either A or B"; remember, “neither A nor B” and “either A or B” are idiomatic uses and are only used when referring to two elements; A and B must be parallel.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Either-Or" and "Neither-Nor" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Another important split is the use of correct parallelism of correlative conjunction ‘either – or’
Only B and D use the correct parallelism of using ‘either the right hand or left hand.’ Then B is wrong because of ‘exhibits
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
papua wrote:
Hello All,

the sentence states :"The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

"that" is clearly referring to the list, because later the sentence states that "has been expanded to include vertebrates" and "animals" cannot expand to include some other type of animals. The list should expand.

Therefore I think that either A or B should be right.

Please someone provide further explanation.

Hi papua,

'that' in this sentence refers to 'animals' not 'the list'. You have correctly said that 'animals' cannot be expanded so the subject for the verb 'has been expanded' should be 'the list'. On the similar lines, we can say that 'the list' cannot exhibit preference for using either the right hand or the left hand. So, the subject for the verb exhibit/exhibits should be the one that can exhibit this preference. Hence, 'that' refers to animals.

Let’s understand the structure and meaning of the sentence:

The list of animals
o that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e. claw, paw, or foot)
has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.

MEANING

• This sentence tells us about a list of animals. This list has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
• These animals exhibit a preference for using either the left hand or the right hand.

Note that, if ‘that’ refers to ‘the list’, then the meaning of the sentence will become the list exhibits a preference for using the left or the right hand. This does not make sense.

OPTION A

1. The singular verb ‘exhibits’ does not agree with the plural ‘that’, since ‘that’ here refers to ‘animals’.
2. ‘preference of’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.

OPTION B

1. The singular verb ‘exhibits’ does not agree with the plural ‘that’, since ‘that’ here refers to ‘animals’.
2. ‘…has been expanded and includes…. ’ does not convey the intended meaning. It should be ‘…..has been expanded to include…. ’, since the purpose of expanding the list was to include the lower vertebrates.

OPTION C

1. ‘preference in’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.
2. The structure ‘either using the right or the left hand’ is not parallel. The structure that follows ‘either’ should be similar to the structure that follows ‘or.

OPTION D

‘Preference for’ is correct usage.
‘using either the right or the left hand’ maintains parallelism.

OPTION E

1. ‘…has been expanded and includes…. ’ does not convey the intended meaning. It should be ‘…..has been expanded to include…. ’, since the purpose of expanding the list was to include the lower vertebrates.
2. ‘preference as to’ is incorrect idiomatic usage.
3. The structure ‘either using the right or the left hand’ is not parallel. The structure that follows ‘either’ should be similar to the structure that follows ‘or.

Hope this helps! :)
Manyu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [8]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
An important bunch of rules that will come in handy.. I guarantee :-D

One of the X's that/who <plural>
One of the X's <singular>
Only one of the X's <singular>
Only one of the X's that/who <plural>
The only one of the X's that/who <singular>

C D and E perfectly follows the above rule - The list of animal's that exhibit <plural>
Using POE u can easily arrive at D
Preference for - idiomatic

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1. The first split : The LIST ...............has been expanded TO INCLUDE.........
Thus B n E disappears in thin air.

Left with A / C / D

2. The 2nd split : ........ Animals ( Plural ) THAT.......Exibit ( Plural Verb )
Thus A goes off

Left with C n D

3. The 3rd split : Either X.........OR.......Y

C : ...................either using the right or the left hand : Parallelism Broken

D : ...................either the right or the left hand : Parallelism Intact

Leading to D - my take
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Hi Gmatninja,
Is not - of animals - a prepositional phrase? I did not get SV agreement at first glance.
Is not list the main subject? Also is list treated as collective noun, meaning to be always treated as plural?
Lists - forms plural form of list, correct?
WR,
Arpit.

Hello Arpit,

Thank you for the PM. I will be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :)

Let's get the original sentence here:

(Blue = subject, green = verb)

In the above-mentioned sentence, the noun modifier that modifies the immediate preceding noun animals because animals can show a preference in using either right ot left hand. A list cannot show this preference. The logic makes the modification clear.

Since that refers to the plural noun animals, use of singular verb exhibits for that is incorrect.

Please note that a noun in a prepositional cannot act as the subject of a clause. This is the ONLY limitation on a noun entity preceded by a preposition. A pronoun and a modifier can very well refer to a noun preceded by a preposition.

And yes, list is a singular noun. Hence, it uses singular verb has been included. The plural of list is lists.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [3]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Kudos