Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink]
Yes, it definitely does answer the question! I'm a little surprised as I'd been so sure I was advancing to the stage where a two page CV would be acceptable. While this is now a moot point, I thought I'd share my findings (which echo what bsd_lover said to the letter!)

I spoke to two contacts at Harvard, and three contacts at Kellogg:

Harvard frowns heavily on anything beyond a single page, and beyond exceptions made for (in one of my friend's words) "...a PhD. holder with prior multiple Master's degrees, who previously headed up a world-famous company in an executive position, etc...," the CV one-page limit is strictly enforced.

Kellogg won't even work with you till your CV fits into one page (confirmed by all my contacts there), and even then, it must conform to some sort of template.

lakai777 wrote:
well i guess that answers THAT question.

bsd_lover wrote:
You will NOT have an option to go over one page. They will get reviewed by career services midway through autumn term (before they go in the CV book) and if it is too long, you will be told to shorten it. Furthermore I'll say that it will look really BAD if it is over one page. It shows lack of clarity and succinctness. CV is not just a simple listing of all your accomplishments; it is also a story board of what makes you a strong candidate for a particular role. You will end up tailoring your CVs for different roles. You should be able to achieve this in one page. I have 9 years of work experience in 5 different industries. I have had to cut out accomplishments that I have been proud of - but are totally irrelevant.

We have a web based system for creating CVs where you type out roles one by one and the system generates a pdf document. While I am not a big fan of this, it ensures consistency of CVs for everyone at the school.

DoctorManhattan wrote:
I'm going to ask my contacts, current students at various MBA programmes, what their respective Career Services offices recommend with respect to CV length.

[redacted]

Further thoughts are appreciated. In the meantime, I'll get started on my unscientific survey!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tmino,

Thanks for the inside tips on Exchange programmes! I’ve got a quick question: when you say “Kellogg is also not very popular, but they don't accept any US exchange students,” could you clarify, please?

I ask because I met a U.S.-based (American who applied to the programme from the United States) London Business School alumnus who completed an Exchange term at Kellogg, and is now back in the United States. Do you mean Kellogg doesn’t accept students for Exchange who are attending U.S. schools?

tmino wrote:
Great input bsd_lover. Just wanted to add that it is not that common that US students go on exchange to US schools (as mentioned) but it is surely possible. Those who return want to work in the US post MBA, therefore attending a US b-school on exchange is beneficial for recruiting purposes. I also heard of an LBS alumn who is in Boston at BCG who exchanged to Tuck and made use of their career services (another factor to consider - some schools don't let LBS students use their career services, while we allow everyone coming to LBS to use ours!). Then in my year someone went to Chicago Booth. Both Tuck and Booth are not very popular, and any US student should get in easily in the 2nd round. Kellogg is also not very popular, but they don't accept any US exchange students. Ross is also very easy, but never heard of anyone from LBS exchanging there in the first place. The toughest US schools got get into on exchange are MIT (only 2 spots - also can cross register and take classes at HBS), Haas, Columbia, Wharton, UCLA. I think if I remember correctly you also had to interview at LBS for a spot at Wharton (maybe also MIT, can't remember).

Then Capetown and Sydney are quite popular, and this year Hong Kong was also a top choice (with 10 exchangers, I'm one of them currently here, only second to New York).

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
From what I remember Kellogg does not accept incoming exchange students who are US citizens. I assume in general US b-schools won't have exchange programs with other US b-schools in the first place.

This is what I heard about the Kellogg exchange at LBS , but I may be wrong.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks, tmino!

tmino wrote:
From what I remember Kellogg does not accept incoming exchange students who are US citizens. I assume in general US b-schools won't have exchange programs with other US b-schools in the first place.

This is what I heard about the Kellogg exchange at LBS , but I may be wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
Just had a flashback: my interviewer explicitly said at the start that it is "absolutely not a make-or-break", the interview is just part of the set of "inputs" that the adcom would consider holistically. In my mind, the interview had a much more crucial role in the application. I guess it all comes back again to the essays, the strengths of the profile and its fit within the forming class (in other words, a good deal of luck in the latter).
Any thoughts on this?
Manager
Manager
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
Every time I type in "lbs" in Google, I am constantly reminded not just of my stalker-like passion for the school, but of the 20 lbs I have put on in this application process. I went from having a six pack to well, being disgusted by my body. I remember when I was on campus, students told me that with all the social activities and academic workload, battling the "bulge" is no easy feat. Can any current students opine on the collective healthiness of the student body? Also, is there a gym on campus or one nearby that most students frequent to burn the weekly calories from Sundowners?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the insight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Frontline wrote:
Just had a flashback: my interviewer explicitly said at the start that it is "absolutely not a make-or-break", the interview is just part of the set of "inputs" that the adcom would consider holistically. In my mind, the interview had a much more crucial role in the application. I guess it all comes back again to the essays, the strengths of the profile and its fit within the forming class (in other words, a good deal of luck in the latter).
Any thoughts on this?

hi frontline, I was told the same by my interviewer... but i feel that the interview is more than a data point... the interview is a make-or-break between close calls.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
JoeMahmah wrote:
Thanks for the insight.

now i know where i can find a gym partner :-D
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I hope that the simple act of walking everywhere should help us lose and retain the weight. Right now I'm sitting all day - in the car, in my office, on my couch at home. Yes, I work out 4-5 times a week, but that short spur of activity is not enough to overcome the otherwise sedentary lifestyle. I'm really looking forward to donning a backpack and walking to school again, even if through fog and rain!

And it's awesome to know the gym is free...

By the way, London is home to a very famous marathon. You have to win a lottery to participate in full marathon just like with NYC, but I don't think it's a requirement for the half.

boeinz wrote:
JoeMahmah wrote:
Thanks for the insight.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Boeinz and snowintx, half marathon here we come! I love this positive attitude we have of not accepting the possibility of not being accepted! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Corporate Finance
Send PM
exactly! :-D wait, didn't we get the final acceptance!?

count me in any marathon/walk/hike/climb/park-jogging!

JoeMahmah wrote:
Boeinz and snowintx, half marathon here we come! I love this positive attitude we have of not accepting the possibility of not being accepted! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
How about this.... Oh thee Gods of Admissions! If you get me into LBS, I promise to run a half-marathon while in London!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
 Q46  V34
Send PM
boeinz wrote:
JoeMahmah wrote:
Thanks for the insight.

ditto (if I get in!)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:LBS R3
Send PM
leave a mark :lol: Applied for R3. hoping for good news 8-)

p.s. count me in for whatever club. I think I put on more than 20 lbs :roll: (if lbs takes me.)
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Hey bladez19,

I think your profile is unique, very interesting, and you have good numbers and solid education. I think LBS will love you, although you are a little on the young side. (I'm the same age, so don't take offense - it's just that European schools on average take somewhat older applicants) So my two cents is definitely try for the 4th round, and if it doesn't work out, repeat the application next year. LBS seems to be nice to its re-applicants, based on threads here at Gmatclub.

Now, I don't know how good LBS is with Oil Business. Have you looked at McCombs? It's been rubbing elbows with the oil industry here in Texas for as long as it's been in existence... Their application deadline for international applicants was Jan 15th though, so it's more an idea for next year if you don't end up applying in this one.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

bladez19 wrote:
Hey all,

I just spent a couple hours browsing this thread, and found it very helpful.

Thinking of applying for R4, even though its a long shot, because the timing in my life would just be too perfect if I somehow got in. My experience is a little less than most, but also a little different, so I thought I would put it out there see if you have any advice

M/25/750/GPA3.5 Top Canadian School/Mechanical Engineer/Canadian

Spent first 2.5 years out of school working for an Environmental Contracting company. Designed a couple Water Treatment Plants, eventually got promoted and was the manager of a smaller group (managed 15 people, a few million dollars worth of equipment, my group had yearly revenue of about $5M)

Left my job when an opportunity arose to be a Professional Race Car driver with Factory support from Volkswagen. Have spent the last 12 months, working full time on racing, this includes raising sponsorship money each season (I need to find around 50K in sponsors per season), organizing events for sponsors, attending events on behalf of VW, managing and marketing my "brand" as an athlete, working as coach and instructor for young drivers. Anyway, its been a fabulous experience, I've got to meet some high up execs with VW, learned a lot about Marketing/Sponsorship/The Car Business which was all new to me. Hopefully LBS would view this experience favorably as well.

Unfortunately, the long term career prospects in car racing if you're not an F1 driver aren't very lucrative (and I am already too old at 25 to every be in F1).

Anyway, my deal with Volkswagen ends in August, and I am looking to do a career switcheroo (at this point, my 2.5 years experience as a Mech Engineer told me its not what I want to do, I am way more interested in the Management and Finance side of business). From Calgary, so ideally I would like to pursue a future in the Energy sector, I'm especially interested in Exploration and Exploitation in the Oil Business.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
What an interesting profile, you definitely have the differentiation bonus!

LBS is not bad when it comes to the energy sector. Just recently saw many postings from Schlumberger, also Shell / BP recruited for summer interns, and all the remaining big oil companies recruit as well. Maybe get in touch with someone from the LBS Energy Club to find out more if you'd like. But I agree, give R4 a try!

bladez19 wrote:
Hey all,

I just spent a couple hours browsing this thread, and found it very helpful.

Thinking of applying for R4, even though its a long shot, because the timing in my life would just be too perfect if I somehow got in. My experience is a little less than most, but also a little different, so I thought I would put it out there see if you have any advice

M/25/750/GPA3.5 Top Canadian School/Mechanical Engineer/Canadian

Spent first 2.5 years out of school working for an Environmental Contracting company. Designed a couple Water Treatment Plants, eventually got promoted and was the manager of a smaller group (managed 15 people, a few million dollars worth of equipment, my group had yearly revenue of about $5M)

Left my job when an opportunity arose to be a Professional Race Car driver with Factory support from Volkswagen. Have spent the last 12 months, working full time on racing, this includes raising sponsorship money each season (I need to find around 50K in sponsors per season), organizing events for sponsors, attending events on behalf of VW, managing and marketing my "brand" as an athlete, working as coach and instructor for young drivers. Anyway, its been a fabulous experience, I've got to meet some high up execs with VW, learned a lot about Marketing/Sponsorship/The Car Business which was all new to me. Hopefully LBS would view this experience favorably as well.

Unfortunately, the long term career prospects in car racing if you're not an F1 driver aren't very lucrative (and I am already too old at 25 to every be in F1).

Anyway, my deal with Volkswagen ends in August, and I am looking to do a career switcheroo (at this point, my 2.5 years experience as a Mech Engineer told me its not what I want to do, I am way more interested in the Management and Finance side of business). From Calgary, so ideally I would like to pursue a future in the Energy sector, I'm especially interested in Exploration and Exploitation in the Oil Business.

Any advice would be appreciated!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts