Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:LBS (waitlisted), Cass (admitted)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:London Business School (Admitted), INSEAD (ding w/ interview), Cambridge (Admitted), HEC (Admitted)
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 9 yrs in supply chain with experience in 4 countries
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2011 Thread [#permalink]
Kudos
LBS newsflash !!

Over the weekend, a team from London Business School won the annual Wharton Private Equity Competition. The team of <names removed> beat out 18 teams from the top American schools including Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, Kellogg, and Wharton. This follows on the success of the London Business School team of <more names removed> who won the European Private Equity competition at Rotterdam earlier this year.

These achievements are particularly impressive as this is the first year London Business School has entered these competitions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
thfc wrote:
Could a current student briefly explain the process of going on international exchange at LBS? Is it a very competitive process? How does one go about applying? Is there an interview process?

I am not a current student, but posed the same question at my LBS visit. It depends, popular exchange BSchools are CBS, MIT, Booth. Demand always outweighs supply of available places. The answer is relatively tough to get in. Also rule that foreign students get preference for exchange. So US students less likely to enter exchange BSchools in the US.

Other BSchools are neutral (HEC or other US schools) and others are less popular.
some BSchools in Asia are getting more popular as exchange partners.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well I'm at Booth right now and somehow it didn't feel particularly competitive when I was applying for it. The most in-demand schools were Columbia, Wharton, MIT, Booth, AGSM, HKU (in no particular order). Plus you get to pick 3 (in your order of preference) and it is very rare that you do not get even one school of your preference.

The rule is you cannot apply for schools in your home country in R1. However there are TONS of spots in R2 for really great US schools. I know several Americans who went to Stern, Kellogg, Tuck and got spots in R2.

Columbia, MIT, Wharton and Chicago were filled up in R1 and none of my American friends got an opportunity to apply for these, but they applied instead to AGSM, HKU, HEC, IESE etc. There are just way too many other cool schools and locations as available options.

Jock4MBA wrote:
thfc wrote:
Could a current student briefly explain the process of going on international exchange at LBS? Is it a very competitive process? How does one go about applying? Is there an interview process?

I am not a current student, but posed the same question at my LBS visit. It depends, popular exchange BSchools are CBS, MIT, Booth. Demand always outweighs supply of available places. The answer is relatively tough to get in. Also rule that foreign students get preference for exchange. So US students less likely to enter exchange BSchools in the US.

Other BSchools are neutral (HEC or other US schools) and others are less popular.
some BSchools in Asia are getting more popular as exchange partners.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools:LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
 Q49  V49
GPA: 3.625
Send PM
Kudos
tryinghard wrote:
Thanks bsd, that was very helpful. Also, what are the typical topics for the presentation in an interview. Is it business related, geo political or something else. If you can share a few examples (unless you are not supposed to), then it would great. I am just trying to prepare a strategy for the presentation.

cheers...

I read in a blog or forum post several months ago where someone compared the impromptu presentation to the writing section of the GMAT in that whatever side you choose to argue was far less important than how you thought out and structured your argument. I found this comparison especially helpful. The classic "Intro/3 Main Points/Conclusion" structure is a good standby to keep in mind too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: International Business &amp; Strategy
Schools:Oxford R1(ding), INSEAD R2(Admit), HBS R2(admit), LBS R2(ding w/interview)
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview yesterday - it didn't go very well at all. Totally messed up the presentation bit, lost my train of thought in the middle of one the points I was making. So not expecting an admit from there. I also think as I have received an admit from another school the day before my interview, I relaxed too much and didn't really prepare properly or focus on it. Other than that the interviewer just went through my current job, asked about some leadership experiences, international background, why did i get into the industry I'm in now, what am i hoping to take away with from an MBA that will significantly help me in my career, and why LBS (and not the other schools I've applied to). I'm now officially done with interviews etc. Thank God - am a bit burned out by this whole process, I'm going on holiday next week to re-load batteries and relax in the sun. Good luck to everyone else on your interviews!!
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
I had my interview with an alumni today. We met in a coffee shop and the interview went on for around 90 minutes.

The usual questions of why MBA and why LBS.

Some questions on team work and lots of questions on my industry and specifically on my resume and my application.

Overall a very conversational interview.

Now the waiting game begins.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Just completed my interview- I haven't ever interviewed with an Alum , but I find them way more nicer and friendlier than adcom and 2nd years. I have to admit, this is the truly the first school that I really learned from the experiences of someone else who had gone through the program. Maybe the 30 min on-campus interviews are just not time-permitting to have an engaging conversation. This was definitely an interview experience I enjoyed. Good luck everyone!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Kudos
pitseleh80 wrote:
Hello. I am a Round 2 applicant for LBS.
A couple of hours ago, I got a call from the admissions office and the officer asked me to have a brief chat so that she could test my speaking ability in English. (I am an Asian and I had an alumni interview in my home country 2 weeks ago)
I believe I did okay with the chat, and in the last part of the chat she asked me of whether I have an intention to take English courses before the actual commencement.

Do you believe this is a good sign for my admission, although she did not mention whether I am admitted or not.
Today is definitely one of the most thrilling days in my life (since LBS is indeed my top choice school.)

Thank you guys and I wish the best of luck with your admission result as well!

Yes, it is a good sign. But you need to be proactive to address their doubts about your English speaking ability. Just in case they are still not fully convinced, why don't you 'quickly' enroll in an english speaking class and let them know that you intend to improve further in this area.
Send PM
Kudos
I am in . . feeling top of the world obviously .. congrats everyone who got in . .i m a re applicant from India and its like a dream come true :D .. looking forward to discuss more ..
Send PM
Kudos
bsd_lover wrote:
huge congrats buddy - persistence pays off ..
zimzamzum wrote:
I am in . . feeling top of the world obviously .. congrats everyone who got in . .i m a re applicant from India and its like a dream come true :D .. looking forward to discuss more ..

Thanks a lot bsd_lover. I am looking forward to discuss more with you, since I have to make a tough decision to choose between Kellogg MMM program and LBS (learning toward LBS :) ).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
josephcambridge wrote:
I applied in R2 and have been put on the waitlist. How many other people are in the same boat?

Any idea what the chance of getting in is from the waitlist (obviously not an exact science). I see a lot of people on this forum are weighing up multiple offers, so I assume that a fair percentage of people will decline their offiers - but LBS would have factored that in when picking the number of offers to give. On the email it says I don't need to submit anything in addition, but is there anything I can do to improve my chances?

The next 6/7 weeks are going to kill me! Congratulations to everyone that got in!

Thanks a lot in advance,
Joseph

There's usually a decent number put on the W/L every round. What are your odds of coming off it? To be honest it is almost impossible to give you an answer. There will be a significant number of W/L'd people who ultimately get a seat in the progamme, but your chances depend on a number of different factors including who pulls out, your background/WE, and at the end of the day your "fit" for the seat that opens up. I used to live with a member of Adcom (not at LBS, but a top US school) and every year she would comment that the hardest part of the job was dealing with anxious W/Ler's pushing for updates etc. I know this probably isn't what you want to hear, but it really is a case of sitting tight and hoping for the best for the next couple of months. Unless there was a massive hole in your application it's tough to do anything to improve your overall profile other than being polite and impressing anyone you meet involved in the programme (without overdoing it of course).

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
welcome! thanks! :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Good initiative buddy. Perhaps look at the title pages for 2010 thread and post some useful links on the master post.

Good luck with the application process.

*I added some of the extra info.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I'd love to post additional info, but I dont have privileges yet, so I have to wait a week...

Anyone out there want to draw some info from the prior LBS threads so we can create a go-to data source on this thread as well? That would be great.

B
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate (June 2011)
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Private Equity
Schools:Cambridge - Dinged, Oxford - Admitted, Cranfield - Admitted
 Q42  V40
WE 1: 1 year Operations @ top Nigerian Bank
WE 2: 2 years Portfolio Manager at Investment Banking Boutique
WE 3: At generalist private equity fund since September 2009
Send PM
Good stuff brad....just went through the LBS 2010 thread and found it very informative....

My profile.....

27 y/o male (Nigerian)
5 years work experience (asset mgt for three and private equity for two) in Nigeria
670 GMAT (89% V, 62% Q)
Took the CFA level two exam last week...hope i pass to get around my low quant score in GMAT
low undergrad GPA

BSD_Lover...notice you were the star of the 2010 thread :wink:......think i got a shot at LBS?

I also plan to apply to Cranfield, Said and Judge in addition to LBS.

Here's to a successful admission's season for us all!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Hi bayoba, not just LBS but many other schools will find your profile attractive. Do the obvious things (i.e. essays, recommendations) right.

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for starting the thread.

I'm actually going to be a reapplicant after getting dinged last year (1st round with interview).

My profile:

27 year old male (American)
A little less than 5 years w/e in public sector consulting in the US.
760 GMAT (99% V, 88% Q)
3.5 GPA

I think I've done a lot in the past year to improve my profile (Extra leadership and ECs), but how worried should I be that I wasn't explicitly asked to reapply in my original ding letter?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  68   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts