It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Schools: IIM
Re: The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2012, 05:17
Good question but I need some more help on the issue of "he" and "him"

2 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1525 [2], given: 277

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V34
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2014, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point
The topic will be sticky for 2 days from the date of posting

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Kudos [?]: 1525 [2], given: 277

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 132

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 06:18
Gnpth wrote:
NEW PROJECT!: Renew Old Thread => Back to basic => Give your explanation- Get Kudos Point
The topic will be sticky for 2 days from the date of posting

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he

How is the usage of "he" correct in E ?

AND

In D
Grammatically, will "more" automatically get repeated for all the three terms i.e. " wealthy, educated, and polished people than him " ?
Or will "more" modify only wealthy ?

Please clarify

Thankyou !!

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 132

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 193 [1], given: 130

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2014, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Gnpth wrote:

Meaning

The man was always aware of his situation. He knew he was a small town midwesterner thrusted into a world. This world was dominated by people who were wealthier, better educated and more polished than him.

Error analysis
The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully
that
he was a small-town Midwesterner
who was thrust into a world ---- No error
that
was dominated by wealthier, better-educated- No Error
,and more polished people than him. he /him, In spoken english we always use Him for subject pronouns "He", but in formal english subject pronouns are always to be written as they are

He loves Gmat more than her----Object pronoun her, this creates ambiguity, He loves GMAT vs He loves her, He loves GMAT vs she loves GMAT. The correct formal form would be He love GMAT more than She.

The world is dominated by more polished people than him- The world is dominated by polished people vs the world is dominated by him---This is the ambiguity

POE
(A) who was thrust into a world that was dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him- As discussed in error analysis
(B) who had been thrust into a world that was dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him - Same error as A
(C) who had been thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and people more polished than he was - Parallelism error People more polish is not parallel to wealthier, better educated.
(D) thrust into a world dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people than him -Same error as A
(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than he- Correct answer choice

I don't think this concept is tested on GMAT but still good to know.

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

Kudos [?]: 193 [1], given: 130

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 12:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8165 [2], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question is skating on very thin ice and hence is unlikely tobe a GMAT candidate.

The debate hinges around than ‘he’ or ‘him’. This is an unending debate that whenever you consider ‘than’ as a preposition, the object pronoun ‘him’ is correct and whenever ‘than’ is used as a conjunction, the subject pronoun ‘he’ is better, as after all, a conjunction joins clauses.

For those who doubt whether ‘he’ is a clause, the argument forwarded is that the actual meaning is ‘he is’ and so good enough. But IMO, I doubt whether GMAT would like to base a question on such a thin difference, as we have seen in so many cases in which GMAC steers clear of controversial issues.

To make life simple, some have suggested that it will be better to write out the full sentence without any ellipsis. So choice C could be an effective answer generally, except that, choice C in this context is using a wrong tense ‘had been’. Why ‘had been’ thrust is wrong here? Because ‘he was a small Midwesterner’, an earlier occurrence than his being thrust into a new world, has been marked by a simple past.

Finally therefore, at gunpoint, perhaps E

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8165 [2], given: 364

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 05:16

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 07:36

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 55

GPA: 3.37

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 15:37
Shouldn't it be "than himself" vrs. "him". Thats how I got to E

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 55

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8165 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2016, 01:37
Top Contributor
There is something weird about Choice E.

Quote:

First, if than is being used a conjunction, then there should be a clause after He; We might say the verb is elided after the subject he—but the vital question is—what is the elided verb .When you elide, the actual word should be present verbatim earlier. It cannot be ‘dominated’ because ‘dominated’ is not a verb here; it is a past participle.
For that matter, we cannot use an action verb here, after ‘he’ as there is no action verb in the prior part of the clause but for only a linking verb ‘was”
That is the reason we have to surmise that ‘than’ is used as preposition here, in which case, we cannot use ‘he”

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8165 [0], given: 364

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 17:30
so there's nothing wrong with "who"? the problem lies in the comparism and he or him?

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 805

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 00:57
starperformer wrote:
A. he was ... who was is too wordy.

B & C ... wrong use who

Betwn D & E

D dominated by more wealthy, educated, and polished people
E. dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished

IMO E

daagh why the usage of who is wrong here

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 805

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 01:50
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 11:21
could someone pls provide the explanation for this question?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 12:40
E is the answer because who goes with he.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 18:29
empty_spaces wrote:
The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes resentfully, that he was a small-town Midwesterner who was thrust into a world that was
dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more polished people than him.

(E) thrust into a world dominated by wealthier, better-educated, and more
polished people than he

pls EXPLAIN your answer.

thanks.

So this question is a really good example of how relying on your ear can sometimes fail you. Many native speakers think that the correct pronoun is "him" but the man is the subject and we are comparing him so technically "E" is the right answer. And native speakers shouldn't feel ashamed because there is a lot of apocryphal grammar advice instilled into even natural born American citizens at a young age.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 165

Re: The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2017, 18:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

The man was always aware, sometimes proudly and sometimes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap