Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:34 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [30]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [25]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with [#permalink]
whats the source .B looks good to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with [#permalink]
Kudos
The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

A)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members

B)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team

C)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

D)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges like morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all team members

E)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all the team members

DOUBT

I eliminated options A and D for the incorrect usage of "Like" while giving list of things. Such as should be used instead.
Next, I eliminated option E because "Team cohesion" has a comma after it, making the sentence have two "and". This makes the sentence incorrect. "E" eliminated.

Left with B and C, all that is different in these options is among and between. As usual, I was left with two options. Putting my knowledge of among (which should be used when you compare more than two bodies) and between (which should be used when you compare two bodies), I chose "B"- INCORRECT !!! :(

Can someone please explain WHY OPTIONS B IS INCORRECT and options C is CORRECT ? Thanks
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The examples in E do not conver the intended meaning - cohesion and communication is w.r.t team (intent highlights the challenges w.r.t geographically distributed workforce)

E - wrongly differentiates the examples of team cohesion and communication. This aspect is correctly highlighted in C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Backbencher wrote:
DOUBT

I eliminated options A and D for the incorrect usage of "Like" while giving list of things. Such as should be used instead.
Next, I eliminated option E because "Team cohesion" has a comma after it, making the sentence have two "and". This makes the sentence incorrect. "E" eliminated.

Left with B and C, all that is different in these options is among and between. As usual, I was left with two options. Putting my knowledge of among (which should be used when you compare more than two bodies) and between (which should be used when you compare two bodies), I chose "B"- INCORRECT !!! :(

Can someone please explain WHY OPTIONS B IS INCORRECT and options C is CORRECT ? Thanks

Hi Backbencher,

Here are the two most confusing answer choices:
B) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team

C) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

If you carefully study these two choices, Choice B carries an extra word “also”, which is not quite required here in the sentence. This makes Choice C more concise.

About the usage of between – Well, commonly we use “between” when we talk about two entities and we use “among” when we talk about more than two entities. However, “between” can also be used when we want to show multiple pair relations.

Consider the example presented by the original post:
• Water ran between my toes.

This sentence does not mean that I have just two toes. It means that every toe has a pair relation with every other toe. This is the meaning that is denoted by the use of “between” in Choice C.

So between the two Choices, Choice C emerges as the winner.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi,

I would like to focus on "accountability between all team members" in Option B. This is a clear idiomatic error, and thus, B cannot be the correct choice.
I agree that "between" can be used when comparing multiple pair relations, but in this case, the sentence is not referring to any pair. It is bluntly referring to the whole team.
I doubt whether the source is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [4]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
dipanjan_1988 wrote:
egmat wrote:
Backbencher wrote:
DOUBT

Hi Backbencher,

Here are the two most confusing answer choices:
B) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and also accountability among all team

C) The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

If you carefully study these two choices, Choice B carries an extra word “also”, which is not quite required here in the sentence. This makes Choice C more concise.

About the usage of between – Well, commonly we use “between” when we talk about two entities and we use “among” when we talk about more than two entities. However, “between” can also be used when we want to show multiple pair relations.

Consider the example presented by the original post:
• Water ran between my toes.

This sentence does not mean that I have just two toes. It means that every toe has a pair relation with every other toe. This is the meaning that is denoted by the use of “between” in Choice C.

So between the two Choices, Choice C emerges as the winner.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi,

I would like to focus on "accountability between all team members" in Option B. This is a clear idiomatic error, and thus, B cannot be the correct choice.
I agree that "between" can be used when comparing multiple pair relations, but in this case, the sentence is not referring to any pair. It is bluntly referring to the whole team.
I doubt whether the source is correct.

I also had my doubts, so I looked it up. This is what I have found.

Merriam Webster - Usage Discussion of between

There is a persistent but unfounded notion that between can be used only of two items and that among must be used for more than two. Between has been used of more than two since Old English; it is especially appropriate to denote a one-to-one relationship, regardless of the number of items. It can be used when the number is unspecified<economic cooperation between nations> , when more than two are enumerated <between you and me and the lamppost> <partitioned between Austria, Prussia, and Russia — Nathaniel Benchley>, and even when only one item is mentioned (but repetition is implied) <pausing between every sentence to rap the floor — George Eliot>. Among is more appropriate where the emphasis is on distribution rather than individual relationships <discontent among the peasants>.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
C)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion and communication, and accountability between all team members.

E)The management of a workforce distributed geographically carries with it challenges such as morale, team cohesion, and communication, and accountability between all the team members

Am I seeing this wrong? the only difference I see between the two options is the "THE"
I don't understand what is the difference between the two options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
winionhi wrote:

Am I seeing this wrong? the only difference I see between the two options is the "THE"
I don't understand what is the difference between the two options.

Look at the comma after cohesion. Cohesion and communication refer to team and should not use a comma because they are only two elements. That is what makes answer E incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Such ambiguous questions should be removed from discussion thread which doesn't make any sense. I also see two subject experts having different opinions. This question seems self made without any source just to confuse serious people. Admin,please take note.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Such ambiguous questions should be removed from discussion thread which doesn't make any sense. I also see two subject experts having different opinions. This question seems self made without any source just to confuse serious people. Admin,please take note.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I think B and C are the two best options but both seem to have errors in the eyes of the GMAT. “Also” in the last example of the list in B is in clear violation of parallelism, but “among” seems to be the clear choice when discussing a group bigger than two, as it appears to me in the eyes of the GMAT. I think trying to sort out when one-to-one relationships among a group of people >2 warrants the use of between will just lead to confusion among those who are studying.

I guess here we are picking between the lesser of two evils.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts