GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 05:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:36) correct 53% (01:53) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh fruits and vegetables online, suggests that customer orders be packed in extra-strong cartons to eliminate damage during transportation. Though these cartons are more expensive, overall costs would remain unaffected since the additional packaging cost is almost equal to the cost of refunding customers who received damaged fruits and vegetables.

Which of the following would it be most important to ascertain in determining whether implementing the manager’s proposal would have the argued-for effect on costs?

(A) Whether BigShoppe dispatchers habitually send out damaged fruits and vegetables to customers
(B) Whether the transportation companies used by BigShoppe will handle the new cartons carefully
(C) Whether the percentage of refunds that BigShoppe makes is higher than those seen by other online shopping companies
(D) Whether some customers are themselves responsible for the damage caused to the produce
(E) Whether fruits and vegetables are more vulnerable to incurring damage during shipping than are other fragile products.

source - CrackVerbal

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
examPAL Representative
P
Re: The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2018, 06:04
aragonn wrote:
The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh fruits and vegetables online, suggests that customer orders be packed in extra-strong cartons to eliminate damage during transportation. Though these cartons are more expensive, overall costs would remain unaffected since the additional packaging cost is almost equal to the cost of refunding customers who received damaged fruits and vegetables.

Which of the following would it be most important to ascertain in determining whether implementing the manager’s proposal would have the argued-for effect on costs?

(A) Whether BigShoppe dispatchers habitually send out damaged fruits and vegetables to customers
(B) Whether the transportation companies used by BigShoppe will handle the new cartons carefully
(C) Whether the percentage of refunds that BigShoppe makes is higher than those seen by other online shopping companies
(D) Whether some customers are themselves responsible for the damage caused to the produce
(E) Whether fruits and vegetables are more vulnerable to incurring damage during shipping than are other fragile products.

source - CrackVerbal

The answer is A.
We can solve this question using the Alternative approach, by going through the answers:
(A) Whether BigShoppe dispatchers habitually send out damaged fruits and vegetables to customers - if this is true, i.e. if the vegetables are damaged before they are even sent then strong packaging won't help! this is a very important thing to ascertain... looks good!
(B) Whether the transportation companies used by BigShoppe will handle the new cartons carefully the whole point of the strong packaging is that it makes it less important how it is handled. no!
(C) Whether the percentage of refunds that BigShoppe makes is higher than those seen by other online shopping companies irrelevant - we care whether Bigshoppe's expenses will change relative to themselves, not to other companies
(D) Whether some customers are themselves responsible for the damage caused to the produce at first glance this looks like it could be relevant. but consider - even if the customers are responsible, it probably occurs when they are transporting the groceries home, and thus is still very probable that strong packaging will solve the problem. So this is not a relevant fact
(E) Whether fruits and vegetables are more vulnerable to incurring damage during shipping than are other fragile products. irrelevant - we care whether the fruits and vegetables's expenses will drop - we don't care how they compare to other products
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 07:05

Official Explanation:

Official Answer: A

The argument is that using superior packaging would be beneficial and will offset the cost that BigShoppe incurs through refunds. The assumption is that using superior packaging would essentially ensure that the fruits and vegetables BigShoppe sends to customers will not have to be replaced. Option A poses the right evaluation, in that if it is found that BigShoppe is sending already damaged fruits and vegetables to customers, then the damage isn’t caused during transportation and therefore, using better packing material would be pointless. Thus, A is the correct answer.

(A) This option helps us evaluate the argument as mentioned above.
(B)We are worried about the superior packaging. We don’t need to know about how they will be handled.
(C) We don’t need to know about the percentage of refunds.
(D) We don’t need to know who is responsible.
(E) We don’t need to know about other products.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2019, 23:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2019, 23:41

The manager of BigShoppe, a company that lets customers purchase fresh

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics