GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Mars Exploration Program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
The Mars Exploration Program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 10:51
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (01:45) correct 77% (01:31) wrong based on 807 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

A. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

B. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as to determine the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

C. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

D. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help to determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars

E. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission is to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

Sourced from RSSing.com -- As usual, no OA or OE is available. What is given after three days is my own OA and not the original author's. A lot of discussions with reasoning are welcome.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Mars Exploration Program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 11:12
Top Contributor
A is out since when we use whether the "or not" state is already intended.
B is out since the meaning and parallelism changes.

C- Seems to be okay. We have correct modifiers, verb, and parallelism. So hold.

D. to help to determine is wordy. Just to help determine is good. So out.

E. use of singular verb is for plural subject goals is wrong.

So I go with option C.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

1 KUDOS received
PS Forum Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 11:39
daagh wrote:
The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

A. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

B. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as to determine the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

C. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

D. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help to determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars

E. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission is to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.

Sourced from RSSing.com -- As usual, no OA or OE is available. What is given after three days is my own OA and not the original author's. A lot of discussions with reasoning are welcome.

IMO B

A. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.-------main goals are being lists her so the list should be parallel. "whether or not" is redundant

B. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as to determine the role of water, and to study the the climate and geology of Mars.------------the list is parallel here and redundancy has been removed. Correct

C. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climad geology of Mars.------list is not parallel

D. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help to determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars------list is not parallel.
"to help to determine" is incorrect

E. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission is to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars.-------.S-V issue and list is not parallel
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Senior RC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 11:44
Top Contributor
niks18 wrote:

B. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as to determine the role of water, and to study the the climate and geology of Mars.------------the list is parallel here and redundancy has been removed. Correct

How is the list parallel in B?. "as well as" is redundant. We say X, Y and Z. Not X as well as Y and Z.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 11:57
IMO D

As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help to determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars

To help is followed by the infinitive 'to determine' and the participle 'determining' in parallel, connected together through 'as well as'.

'To help' and 'to study' are also parallel after the helping verb 'are'.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 16:17
I chose B

I think determining isnt parallel and in B also "to help to determine" - I think its wrong
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 19:14
i also chose B. Well the reason is "X, as well as Y, and Z" in this X is the main focus and Y is after thought
X :- to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life
Y :- to determine the role of water
Z :- to study the climate and geology of Mars

X and Z makes the list so they have to be parallel
Plus in all other options A,C,D,E "determining the role of water" is acting a modifier. So i choose B

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 20:34
Gnpth wrote:
A is out since when we use whether the "or not" state is already intended.
B is out since the meaning and parallelism changes.

C- Seems to be okay. We have correct modifiers, verb, and parallelism. So hold.

D. to help to determine is wordy. Just to help determine is good. So out.

E. use of singular verb is for plural subject goals is wrong.

So I go with option C.

Could you help explain why you think the meaning is changed in B? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 06:57
daagh wrote:

I think that the answer is B, due to parellelism. Although, I am not very sure. :|

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:16
Hi
i have my gmat on monday
can wait for the OA but want to know it
and what is the level of the question
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:29
Top Contributor
So far, most of the opinions have been tentative among B, C, D; it is difficult to assign a difficulty value in such fluid contexts. However, I feel since it is drawing so much of munching, it should be 750 + level

Narendran +9198845 44509

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 19:38
Top Contributor
daagh wrote:
So far, most of the opinions have been tentative among B, C, D; it is difficult to assign a difficulty value in such fluid contexts. However, I feel since it is drawing so much of munching, it should be 750 + level

Hi daagh, Please let us know the OA. I guess most of them are tending towards B. But I'm not really sure how in B all 3 items as parallel?

since the presence of as well as. Please provide your explanation.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 21:56
as well as is a additive phrase, it wont draw the compound verb AND. THE main scientific goal, the means we are talking about the main goal, hence only one goal and the verb should be IS. E maintains parallelism.

Experts please let me know is my logic is correct !! I don't see a problem with E
Expert Post
Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 23:57
Top Contributor
Gnpth
Quote:
Since you seem very curious, let me give my reasoning of the issue. But pl remember that this is not any official solution from the author, but just my own, which could be as good or bad as anybody's.

A. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. -- Whether or not is redundant and incorrect

B. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as to determine the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. --- as well as determining is the correct verb when we join a verb; 'as well as to determine' is not

Please read the part below in proof of this; <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/as+well+as>

Quote:
linking clauses

You can use as well as in a similar way to link clauses. However, the second clause must be a clause beginning with an -ing form.
She manages the budget as well as ordering the equipment.

C. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. ---- The two things that are parallel here are 1. to help and 2. to study. Correct choice.

D. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help to determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars ------ to help 'to determine', especially because of the infinitive marker before determine is not to be taken as parallel 'to study'

E. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission is to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. --- Goals … is --SV error

Narendran +9198845 44509

PS Forum Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 00:38
daagh wrote:
Gnpth
Quote:
Since you seem very curious, let me give my reasoning of the issue. But pl remember that this is not any official solution from the author, but just my own, which could be as good or bad as anybody's.

A. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether or not Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. -- Whether or not is redundant and incorrect

B. The Mars Exploration Program established that the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as to determine the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. --- as well as determining is the correct verb when we join a verb; 'as well as to determine' is not

Please read the part below in proof of this; <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/as+well+as>

Quote:
linking clauses

You can use as well as in a similar way to link clauses. However, the second clause must be a clause beginning with an -ing form.
She manages the budget as well as ordering the equipment.

C. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. ---- The two things that are parallel here are 1. to help and 2. to study. Correct choice.

D. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission are to help to determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars ------ to help 'to determine', especially because of the infinitive marker before determine is not to be taken as parallel 'to study'

E. As established by the Mars Exploration Program, the main scientific goals of the MSL mission is to help determine whether Mars could ever have supported life, as well as determining the role of water, and to study the climate and geology of Mars. --- Goals … is --SV error

Thanks daagh for the succinct explanation.
However I would like to clear few doubts over here - In option B apart from the error "as well as determining to" are there any other errors or does the sentence distorts the intended meaning? Because I feel that option B is more direct than the passive construction used in Option C, so if there were no idiom error then B could have been a strong contender.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 01:49
Top Contributor
True; if there were no idiom errors in B, then there would be two correct answers. But the risk is that the question would be invalid.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 06:33
daagh wrote:

Thanks for sharing the OA before time.
I went with B.

- Stne

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 23:27
anuj11 wrote:
as well as is a additive phrase, it wont draw the compound verb AND. THE main scientific goal, the means we are talking about the main goal, hence only one goal and the verb should be IS. E maintains parallelism.

Experts please let me know is my logic is correct !! I don't see a problem with E

Answer choice E states “...main scientific goal[s]...is to”

Goals, which is plural, should be followed by “are” not “is”.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: The Mars Exploration Program   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 23:27

The Mars Exploration Program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap