Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
GMAT Impact: How Do Business Schools View the GRE? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: How Do Business Schools View the GRE?
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

Many business schools, including Stanford, Harvard, and Wharton, accept either the GMAT or the GRE. I have spoken with a couple of admissions officers about this topic, as well as several students who have had their own conversations with admissions officers about which test to take.

The general consensus seems to be that taking the GRE instead of the GMAT confers no major disadvantage, but some schools do (as we suspected) discount the GRE quant score a bit because they feel that the GMAT quant is more challenging. (And I think they are right about that.)

No one would discuss specifics, but here are some things I inferred. First, the discount is not enormous—my guess is that it is on the order of perhaps five to ten percentile points. If you, for whatever reason, find the GRE quant much easier than the GMAT quant, then it still might be to your advantage to take the GRE.

Second, so far, I have only heard top schools acknowledge doing this. Certainly, any schools could discount the GRE quant; my guess, though, is that everyone else is not as concerned about the small differences in score/difficulty level between the two tests. The top schools receive so many applications that choosing among all of the highly qualified candidates is extremely difficult, so they are even more concerned about making an apples-to-apples comparison (as much as they can).

Finally, no one expressed any concern about the verbal portion of the GRE; the schools seem to view the two tests as equally challenging in this area. (And, again, I agree with this assessment.) The GRE and GMAT do test somewhat different verbal skills, but vocabulary (GRE) is just as important as grammar (GMAT) in business communication, so neither test has an edge here. (Both tests address meaning in their vocabulary- and grammar-based verbal questions.)

What does this mean? If you are applying to a top school, you should have a slight preference for the GMAT over the GRE, but if you are really struggling with GMAT quant, then try a GRE practice test (under 100% official conditions, please!). If you find the GRE quant a lot easier (enough that you can score at least ten percentile points higher), then you may want to consider taking the GRE instead.

And be sure to check out our GMAT vs. GRE infographic for even more help deciding which test to take!

The post GMAT Impact: How Do Business Schools View the GRE? appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Avoiding Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Avoiding Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers
A dangling or misplaced modifier is a word or phrase that is intended to describe one thing, but actually describes something else because of its placement in a sentence. Misplaced modifiers are a common mistake in MBA application essays and can be very distracting to a reader, in addition to possibly misrepresenting the writer’s intention. Although misplaced modifiers can appear anywhere in a sentence, the most common, most obvious, and (thankfully) easiest to correct are those that occur at the beginning of a sentence. Consider the following examples:

As the highest-rated professor at the school, West’s academic writings are primarily analyses of recent developments in tort law.

Even after studying all night, the test was still too difficult for John to pass.

In the first sample sentence, “the highest-rated professor at the school” is meant to describe West, but it instead refers to “West’s academic writings.” In the second example, we can assume that John was the one who studied all night, but because of the way the sentence is constructed, “the test” supposedly did the extensive studying.

To avoid these kinds of confusing constructions, make sure that the first thing you mention after a descriptive introductory phrase is what you want that phrase to describe. To correct our examples here, we could reword them as follows:

As the highest-rated professor at the school, West produces academic writings that are primarily analyses of recent developments in tort law.

Even after studying all night, John was unable to pass the test.

However, misplaced modifiers can appear anywhere within a sentence, when a phrase is juxtaposed with a different part of the sentence than is intended. Consider the following:

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I shared my dream of starting a charitable foundation with my parents.

With this wording, the writer is saying that he dreams of starting a foundation with his parents, yet we can safely assume that the writer instead meant that he shared his dream with his parents. To correct this sentence, you could move the misplaced phrase or even reword the sentence to clarify:

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I shared with my parents my dream of starting a charitable foundation.

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I told my parents about my dream of starting a charitable foundation.

Always make sure your descriptive phrases are in proper proximity to the elements of your sentence that you want them to modify.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Avoiding Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: GMAC Survey Reveals Products/Services and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: GMAC Survey Reveals Products/Services and Finance/Accounting as Top MBA Industries
Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes simplify the many differences among the various MBA programs. This week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

Each year, the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) conducts a plethora of surveys on subjects ranging from application trends to prospective students’ opinions. The organization recently released the results of its 2016 Alumni Perspectives Survey, which gathers data from business school alumni across the globe. The survey’s findings included a list of the most popular industries among respondents. The top three fields were quite even, as products/services tied for the number-one spot with finance/accounting, both claiming 19% of respondents. Technology was second with 17%, while government/nonprofit trailed closely behind with 11%.

The post B-School Chart of the Week: GMAC Survey Reveals Products/Services and Finance/Accounting as Top MBA Industries appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Avoiding Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Avoiding Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers
A dangling or misplaced modifier is a word or phrase that is intended to describe one thing, but actually describes something else because of its placement in a sentence. Misplaced modifiers are a common mistake in MBA application essays and can be very distracting to a reader, in addition to possibly misrepresenting the writer’s intention. Although misplaced modifiers can appear anywhere in a sentence, the most common, most obvious, and (thankfully) easiest to correct are those that occur at the beginning of a sentence. Consider the following examples:

As the highest-rated professor at the school, West’s academic writings are primarily analyses of recent developments in tort law.

Even after studying all night, the test was still too difficult for John to pass.

In the first sample sentence, “the highest-rated professor at the school” is meant to describe West, but it instead refers to “West’s academic writings.” In the second example, we can assume that John was the one who studied all night, but because of the way the sentence is constructed, “the test” supposedly did the extensive studying.

To avoid these kinds of confusing constructions, make sure that the first thing you mention after a descriptive introductory phrase is what you want that phrase to describe. To correct our examples here, we could reword them as follows:

As the highest-rated professor at the school, West produces academic writings that are primarily analyses of recent developments in tort law.

Even after studying all night, John was unable to pass the test.

However, misplaced modifiers can appear anywhere within a sentence, when a phrase is juxtaposed with a different part of the sentence than is intended. Consider the following:

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I shared my dream of starting a charitable foundation with my parents.

With this wording, the writer is saying that he dreams of starting a foundation with his parents, yet we can safely assume that the writer instead meant that he shared his dream with his parents. To correct this sentence, you could move the misplaced phrase or even reword the sentence to clarify:

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I shared with my parents my dream of starting a charitable foundation.

As I became aware of what I wanted in life, I told my parents about my dream of starting a charitable foundation.

Always make sure your descriptive phrases are in proper proximity to the elements of your sentence that you want them to modify.

The post Monday Morning Essay Tip: Avoiding Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: GMAC Survey Reveals Products/Services and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: GMAC Survey Reveals Products/Services and Finance/Accounting as Top MBA Industries
Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes simplify the many differences among the various MBA programs. This week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

Each year, the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) conducts a plethora of surveys on subjects ranging from application trends to prospective students’ opinions. The organization recently released the results of its 2016 Alumni Perspectives Survey, which gathers data from business school alumni across the globe. The survey’s findings included a list of the most popular industries among respondents. The top three fields were quite even, as products/services tied for the number-one spot with finance/accounting, both claiming 19% of respondents. Technology was second with 17%, while government/nonprofit trailed closely behind with 11%.

The post B-School Chart of the Week: GMAC Survey Reveals Products/Services and Finance/Accounting as Top MBA Industries appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Mission Admission: Look at Schools Beyond the Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: Look at Schools Beyond the Rankings
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

We at mbaMission have tried repeatedly to persuade business school candidates who are evaluating MBA programs to downplay the schools’ rankings, which can fluctuate wildly, and instead focus on fit, which is enduring. Now, as a new admissions season is about to begin, we recommend that you accelerate and broaden your evaluation process.

One way to look beyond rankings is to speak with MBA students. Even if you do not have direct access to students, reaching out to them in a targeted way—via email, club Web sites, and social media—can be quite easy. You should not feel as though you are being “pushy” when contacting a student in this way, because most students take pride in their school and are open to speaking with candidates. They are a de facto part of the school’s marketing arm. For example, if you are interested in a certain program for its entrepreneurship offerings, you can reach out to the individual(s) leading the entrepreneurship club to learn more about the program (and the club!). Of course, you should be respectful of each individual’s time and be well prepared for your conversation. If you are conscientious, you will be able to gain some great insight into the school’s academic environment and then have time to find out more about the atmosphere on campus. Networking now should enable you to begin narrowing your search and more effectively focus your limited “free” time over the next few months.

The post Mission Admission: Look at Schools Beyond the Rankings appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: John Morgan, University of California, Berkeley, H [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: John Morgan, University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on John Morgan from the University of California (UC), Berkeley, Haas School of Business.

John Morgan has been at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business since 2002, and he won the Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2006. In an admissions podcast (“Game Theory and Strategy”), Morgan discusses how he has grown his “Game Theory” course, which studies how nations and industries interact strategically with each other. Morgan recommends that all Haas MBA students take the course, which is designed to cover all functions and industries, in their last semester at the school so that they apply the “mind-set to think strategically” to what they have learned in the program. Morgan expects the teams in his class to be ready to defend their strategies, but plenty of laughter is part of the course as well—as it reportedly is in all Morgan’s courses. An alumna even commented via Twitter in 2012, “Loving John Morgan’s Disruptive Technologies seminar. Great comedic timing.” On Morgan’s personal Haas Web page, he includes a list of vocabulary words he calls “New Words for the New Millennium.”

The post Professor Profiles: John Morgan, University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
mbaMission Is Proud to Introduce New Career Coaching Services! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: mbaMission Is Proud to Introduce New Career Coaching Services!
mbaMission is proud to announce an addition to our MBA admissions consulting services: pre- and post-MBA career coaching! Whether you work with us to Strengthen Your Pre-MBA Career, Get a Job You Love after earning your degree, or Become a Star Performer in your current role, our career coaching experts will empower you to take charge of your professional life.

mbaMission Career Coaches can help you achieve mastery and fulfillment at work and assist you with any aspect of your career at any stage. We offer comprehensive packages to help you realize your greatest potential, whether you are…

• A pre-MBA who is ready to start positioning yourself for your post-MBA career and wants to make the most of your personal, professional, and community life before you begin the admissions process
  • A pre-MBA who is trying to figure out how to define your short-term or long-term goals before embarking on the road to business school
  • A current or post-MBA who is searching for not just a job, but a fulfilling and lasting career in a field you love
  • A current or post-MBA who is hoping to maximize your potential in a current role, define strengths and weaknesses, and build key relationships so that you can hit the ground running and establish yourself as a top performer

For those who have more focused needs, we offer targeted assistance with defining your values, building key relationships, enhancing your spoken and/or written communication abilities, assessing your job performance, preparing for challenging and competitive interviews, and creating strategies to grow your skills and abilities—all on an hourly basis.

Additionally, our free Career Primers empower aspiring professionals to quickly go beyond the stereotypes and gain true insight into the most popular career paths. Each primer has been written in conjunction with industry insiders who provide intriguing perspectives on such fields as investment banking, private equity, and consulting!

If some element of your performance in your current role or overall career needs improvement, mbaMission’s Career Coaches can help you identify action areas, strategize an approach, and execute a plan to make that happen. Take your first step toward working with us by signing up for a free 30-minute consultation with an mbaMission Career Coach today!

The post mbaMission Is Proud to Introduce New Career Coaching Services! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Liquidity Preference Functions at Chicago Bo [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Liquidity Preference Functions at Chicago Booth
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school. 

Liquidity Preference Function (LPF) is a play on a financial term coined by John Maynard Keynes, and these gatherings are held on Fridays at Hyde Park at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Students and their partners/families gather after classes in a communal area in the Harper Building called Winter Garden for free food and drinks. LPF is a school-sponsored event organized by the Graduate Business Council (a group of students elected by the student body to organize activities). LPFs are often theme based, such as the Mentor-Mentee LPF and one at which the Booth Arts Group displayed the finalists in a photography contest it sponsored, and music and dance performances were featured.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Chicago Booth and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: Liquidity Preference Functions at Chicago Booth appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Bus [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business
[img]https://www.mbamission.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Georgetown-University’s-McDonough-School-of-Business-300x196.jpg[/img]
Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business

MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business unveiled an updated MBA curriculum in 2012—and with it, a revamped global emphasis. Dean David A. Thomas announced the changes as a response to the evolving global business landscape, meant to equip students “with the skills to be innovative leaders—whether they are joining established organizations or becoming entrepreneurs.” During “opening term,” first-year students are required to take “Structure of Global Industries.” This immersive three-week core course provides a foundation in international business that runs through the required “modules” in the spring semester and culminates with the school’s newly expanded, signature “Global Business Experience” during students’ second year. In this program, students take on consulting roles working for actual international organizations. In the spring, student teams travel to their respective client’s country—such as South Africa, Turkey, Mexico, and Italy—to gain firsthand experience working in a global consulting and management setting. After the participating students return to campus, they present the stories of and takeaways from their experiences to their classmates at the school’s Global Business Conference.

The post Diamonds in the Rough: Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: Preparing for Cold Calls at Darden [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Preparing for Cold Calls at Darden

UVA Darden

MBA students at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business are known to work quite hard amid the rigors of the case method. Each day, they are expected to read and complete their own analysis of a case and then compare and reason through their analysis with a small, diverse learning team of fellow students. Often, students can spend two to four hours prepping on their own and then two to three more with their teammates to arrive at an answer (as opposed to the answer). And, what can be the reward for all of this? They may just be selected for a “cold call” to start off the class.

At Darden, most first-year classes and some second-year classes begin with a professor randomly selecting a student to lead the day’s discussion with his/her case analysis. This student can be subjected to anywhere from five to 20 minutes of questioning, as the professor teases out key points of discussion for the broader class to explore. Many a student has sweated through a cold call, only to gain the applause of his/her peers at the end. (Others, of course, may not do as well.) The cold calls can be daunting, but they force students to prepare thoroughly and think on their feet—a key feature of the Darden learning experience.

For more information on Darden and any of 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Friday Factoid: Preparing for Cold Calls at Darden appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Title Trumps All! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Title Trumps All!

In the past, we have tackled the myth that you must know alumni of top MBA programs to gain acceptance into those schools. Without rehashing that argument, a myth that is somewhat similar—in that it pertains to who you know instead of who you are—is that your recommendation must be written by someone with a flashy title. Each year, many candidates will persuade either someone outside their workplace (a congressman, for example) or an insider who does not know their work all that well (e.g., a managing director or CEO) to write on their behalf.

Unfortunately, when you obtain a recommendation from someone who depends on his/her title and not on actual knowledge of you when writing this important letter, the result is a vague endorsement. Consequently, the admissions committee will not get to know you—and this undermines the very purpose of recommendations. Even if you can educate someone far above you in the corporate hierarchy about your achievements and he/she can write a seemingly personal letter, it still will not make sense that a CEO, for example, knows what you—one of hundreds of analysts—are doing on a daily basis. So the intimacy of this individual’s letter just might seem absurd. Of course, if your CEO does actually know you and can write a personal letter that makes a logical connection between your position and his/hers, it should be helpful.

Instead of merely seeking a title when considering possible sources for your recommendations, you should identify an individual who knows you well and can write about your strengths and even your weaknesses with sincerity. If your supervisor has an unspectacular title, it will not reflect negatively on you; what will matter is what he/she writes. If that person can discuss your performance while providing powerful examples of standout achievements, then he/she will help you to the fullest.

The post MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: Title Trumps All! appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Entrepreneurial Sisters Miki and Radha Agrawal Discuss THINX and Their [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Entrepreneurial Sisters Miki and Radha Agrawal Discuss THINX and Their Other Endeavors

Jeremy Shinewald with THINX co-founders Miki and Radha Agrawal

Today, many aspiring MBAs and MBA graduates want to join start-ups or launch such companies themselves. Is entrepreneurship as exciting as it seems? Is it really for you? mbaMission Founder Jeremy Shinewald has teamed up with Venture for America and CBS Interactive to launch Smart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast. Each week, Shinewald interviews another entrepreneur so you can hear the gritty stories of their ups and downs on the road to success.

This podcast episode brings to the studio a team—a sister team, in fact! Miki and Radha Agrawal hail from an entrepreneurial family and have combined their wits to launch a plethora of endeavors, the latest of which being THINX, a patent-pending women’s underwear for menstruation. The Agrawals sat down to share their detailed story, discussing these highlights and more:

• How they launched a successful gluten-free restaurant more than a decade before the recent gluten-free frenzy
  • Why the sisters considered selling their restaurants after a period of grueling work
  • How a “genie” helped them get past a difficult stage in their entrepreneurship
Subscribe to the podcast series to hear each episode as it is released!

The post Entrepreneurial Sisters Miki and Radha Agrawal Discuss THINX and Their Other Endeavors appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: Timing on the Integrated Reasoning Section [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: Timing on the Integrated Reasoning Section
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan Prep’s Stacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

As we have discussed in the past, the importance of the Integrated Reasoning section mirrors that of the essay: we want to get a “good enough” score, but our main focus is on the Quant and Verbal. (Note: this will likely change in the future as the schools figure out how to use IR scores.)

One important aspect of that is, as always, timing. We have 30 minutes total for IR, and there are a total of 12 questions. We do actually have to discuss what a “question” is; this is a little bit confusing on IR, because many of the questions have multiple parts.

One question equals everything that appears on one screen. A question might have one, two, or three parts to it, and all parts need to be answered to gain credit for that one question. Once you have submitted your answer(s) for that question, a new question screen will pop up.

Because we have a total of 12 questions (some with multiple parts), we have an average of 2.5 minutes per question. Some question types will naturally take longer than others, though; for example, Multi-Source Reasoning (MSR) requires us to do quite a bit of reading. MSR prompts also typically include multiple questions, however, so our reading time can be spread across two or three questions (similar to Reading Comp), allowing us still to aim for an average of about 2.5 minutes per question.

How should we handle the overall timing for the section? Glad you asked. You have a choice: you can check your progress by time or by question number. If you are not sure which would feel more natural for you, try out both options and see which one you like better.

Also, you can check either once or twice during the 30 minutes. If you think you can remember to check twice, that is great; if not, checking just once is fine.

Time Check: if, when you check, you are within one question of your target, you are good!

Time left
You have finished Q#

Check Once
15 minutes

OR

Check Twice
20 minutes, 10 minutes

Question # Check: if, when you check, you are within two minutes of your target, you are good!

You have finished Q#
Time left

Check Once
15 minutes

OR

Check Twice
20 minutes, 10 minutes

If you find that you are behind (you have used too much time relative to the question number), then you are going to need to guess immediately on at least one question, possibly more. Do NOT try to spread your remaining time across the remaining questions; that is a recipe for getting them all wrong thanks to careless mistakes.

If you find that you are ahead (you are more than two minutes too fast), slow down a bit. Write down or check your work and make sure you are not losing any “easy” points (meaning, we do not want to make careless mistakes on questions that we actually can answer correctly).

Finally, remember once again that we do not care as much about the IR score; identifying your weaker areas and simply skipping a couple of those questions as soon as they pop up is perfectly fine!

The post GMAT Impact: Timing on the Integrated Reasoning Section appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: Which Business School Class Represents the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: Which Business School Class Represents the Most Countries?

Business schools hope to fill their classrooms with a diversity of students. This year, they have clearly met their goal according to a review of the countries represented at top-ranked business schools. The latest incoming class at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, the Class of 2017, includes students from 73 countries—the most out of all 15 schools examined. Harvard Business School (HBS) featured the second-highest amount of countries, with students hailing from 64 nations. Such schools as the New York University Stern School of Business, the Stanford Graduate School of Business, and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business also scored highly, and all surveyed schools featured students from at least 20 countries.

The post B-School Chart of the Week: Which Business School Class Represents the Most Countries? appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose a business school. However, the educational experience you will have is what is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Bruce Greenwald from Columbia Business School.

Bruce Greenwald has been a fixture at Columbia Business School (CBS) since the early 1990s, and until recent years he taught the highly demanded “Economics of Strategic Behavior” course in the full-time MBA program (he continues to teach this course in the EMBA program). Students in the school’s Value Investing Program are primarily the ones who get to enjoy his classes, and those with whom mbaMission spoke espoused enthusiasm for Greenwald’s intense depth of knowledge and his connections to top-notch guest speakers, which he brings to campus to address his students. On the CBS Peer Course Review site, a former student of Greenwald’s once summed up the instructor’s popularity by stating, “Greenwald has the ability to make something complex seem simple and easy to understand.”

The post Professor Profiles: Bruce Greenwald, Columbia Business School appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Closing Bell at the Yale SOM [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Closing Bell at the Yale SOM
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

The Yale University School of Management’s (SOM’s) weekly happy hour, Closing Bell, takes place on Thursday nights. SOM students have no classes on Fridays, so Closing Bell kicks off the weekend. This event is attended by students and their partners as well as by members of the school’s faculty and staff. According to one second year mbaMission interviewed, “It’s a great chance to catch up with friends after a busy week and to make plans for the evening, which often includes a trip to GPSCY [the Graduate & Professional Student Center at Yale, aka Gryphon’s Pub] or other popular watering holes like Mory’s, Richter’s, or Anchor, or quieter dinners and gatherings.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at the Yale SOM and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.

The post Beyond the MBA Classroom: Closing Bell at the Yale SOM appeared first on mbaMission - MBA Admissions Consulting.
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts