GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 20:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2018, 06:53
VP
VP
V
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 18:05
souvik101990 wrote:
I would not study this question. The option E definitely needs a "that" to be parallel.

Agreed. Can we use some kind of TAG for such questions, such as poor quality question or move it to some other section?

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 07:47
he measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past few decades indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that irreversible climate changes may happen sooner than scientists earlier estimated.

A) indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that

B) indicate that global warming has been continually increasing and that

C) indicates that global warming has been continually increasing and that

D) indicates that global warming is continually increasing, but

E) indicates that global warming is continually increasing and

Approach -

1) Eliminate A and B, indicate(plural) with measurement(singular) is incorrect.
2) Eliminate D, use of but is in contrast which is incorrect.
3) Eliminate C, use of present perfect with continually which means future is incorrect.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 10:50
Top Contributor
E) indicates that global warming is continually increasing and

It is clear that the continual increase is as per the indication of the past studies. However, is the second part speculation of the author rather than the studies? If it is by the author, then we can drop the 'that' in the second part. Even then if the second part is an entirely independent clause, the comma before the 'and' is missing. Therefore, unless there is a 'that' after 'and,' the structure of choice 'E' seems suspect.
Considering that in the given reported speech, the continual increase in global warming is the primary culprit and the cause of the irreversible changes, it will be difficult to present the two parts as two unrelated clauses as in E.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 08:18
I think logically C is correct. The 'Has been' is correctly used. That it Global Warming has started rising from the past and continues in the future. So has been is correct. 'Is' is wrong. Indicates that Global warming started in the present.
Correct me if I am wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 08:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap