GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge
The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 07:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:44) correct 63% (00:48) wrong based on 255 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past few decades indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that irreversible climate changes may happen sooner than scientists earlier estimated.

A) indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that

B) indicate that global warming has been continually increasing and that

C) indicates that global warming has been continually increasing and that

D) indicates that global warming is continually increasing, but

E) indicates that global warming is continually increasing and

Source: Experts Global

Regards
SandySilva

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 08:57
[quote="sandysilva"]The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past few decades indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that irreversible climate changes may happen sooner than scientists earlier estimated.

C is the correct answer.

A and B can be eliminated with subject verb disagreement. (indicate)

D can be omitted as the use of but is not required.

E can be eliminated on parallelism (usage of 'that' after 'and')

Please give kudos if you find the comment helpful
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 21:24
The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past few decades indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that irreversible climate changes may happen sooner than scientists earlier estimated.

A) indicate that global warming is continually increasing, but that -- SV error (indicates)

B) indicate that global warming has been continually increasing and that -- same as above

D) indicates that global warming is continually increasing, but -- but is used to mark contrast between things, here both "global warming continually increasing" and "irreversible climate change" are results of same phenomenon.

Now C and E are the contenders, I opt for C due to two reasons- a) usage of "and that" makes the two results parallel; b) The usage of perfect continuous "has been" tells that the results started in the past (few decades) and are continuing at present as well whereas the usage the continuous tense "is +ing" tells only about the current condition.

So, C should be correct.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 22:42
Experts main point of confusion is between C & E

Please explain whether OA is correct
or is it wrong?

According to me C is correct option has correct verb tense and when we apply parallelism.

measurment..... indicates that irr climate changes may .

Pls correct me if I am wrong

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:11
Hi Experts.
I have double checked the OA, and it says E is correct. Like other guys, I marked C as well.
Kindly comment.

Regards
SandySilva

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:22
I chose C due to the "past decades " reference. Can someone please provide color on why E is correct? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:37
The measurement indicates X and Y.
Usage of that twice makes it wordy.
I initially choose E Only. Correct me if wrong.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 10:29
sandysilva wrote:

I have few queries. Ill be thankful if you guys can help. I'll let some guys post the correct answer 1st.

It such a sentence, which states some facts from the measurement, simple present/progressive/past tense is used. Therefore option E is correct.
Also note that option C is stated in present perfect continuous tense, which is used to refer to an unspecified time between 'before now' and 'now'. The speaker is thinking about something that started but perhaps did not finish in that period of time. He/she is interested in the process as well as the result, and this process may still be going on, or may have just finished.
It is used either for ACTIONS THAT STARTED IN THE PAST AND CONTINUE IN THE PRESENT or ACTIONS THAT HAVE JUST FINISHED, BUT WE ARE INTERESTED IN THE RESULTS/EFFECTS.
Here, option C does not clearly state that whether global warming is still increasing or has stopped increasing just now.
Hope this helps :-)

All egmat SC Resource for FREE

Like = +Kudos

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 20:58
sandysilva wrote:

I have few queries. Ill be thankful if you guys can help. I'll let some guys post the correct answer 1st.

"The Measurement" is singular... "indicates".. eliminate A and B. General fact so present continuous fact.. But why " BUT" is wrong in option D :(
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 22:18
I chose E over C because in C, 'has been' and the second 'that' are unnecessary. E is much more concise and has no ambiguity by leaving those words out.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 02:14
need expert opinion on confusion over C & E.. pls revert
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Project Management (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 03:22
sandysilva wrote:

E over C because The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past few decades indicates A and B
A and "that" B is incorrect.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 19:34
Can you please explain why not D and why E? The sentence has "over the past few decades" so shouldn't there be a has/have?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 19:48
Pranathi.T wrote:
Can you please explain why not D and why E? The sentence has "over the past few decades" so shouldn't there be a has/have?

That is not necessary.
It feels of forced parallelism.
GMAT chooses the most concise sentence even if they mean the same.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 20:33
sandysilva wrote:

I go for E.

Between C and E .. C redundantly uses 2 " that " ... Indicates ( 2 things ) which are connected by " and "... It is a list of 2 things which the measurement indicates. 1 indicates that ( 1 ) and (2) ...

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 08:12
sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , TommyWallach , ChrisLele

I am confused between C and E. C seems to be a better choice. Can somebody please clarify??
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 13:49
The answer is E but I have difficulty articulating why that is a better choice than C other than that it is stylistically superior and stronger.

Its like... the trend over the past several decades is going up, so the numbers ARE increasing. It's also true that they have been increasing in the past, but its a stronger way to say it using the present tense. The only time you'd want to use C is if the statement was historically true but no longer applied.

For example: "The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past few decades indicates that global warming has been continually increasing, but new evidence shows that trend may no longer be true"

Does that make sense? Not sure how good I am at explaining this stuff
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 14:58
Let me share my thoughts on that question with you:
I was pretty confident with my answer (C)
Parallellism check, Present Perfect Progressive seems ok

I found the explanation on Youtube:

He says you need to take the simple present tense because of the adverb continually.
I'd also appreciate an experts opinion on that question.

sandysilva did you mean to change "warming of the globe" into "global warming" in D) to make it a little tougher? ;)
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 00:02
benejo wrote:
Let me share my thoughts on that question with you:
I was pretty confident with my answer (C)
Parallellism check, Present Perfect Progressive seems ok

I found the explanation on Youtube:

He says you need to take the simple present tense because of the adverb continually.
I'd also appreciate an experts opinion on that question.

sandysilva did you mean to change "warming of the globe" into "global warming" in D) to make it a little tougher? ;)

I'm not satisfied with the video explanation. The person says continually is making a trick. What trick? explain that ! simply saying making a trick is an explanation?

The right explanation -

The verb tense is not an issue here. The rule says " when you know the exact time or you know much more about the action it is optional to use present perfect tense, a simple present tense can be used"

present perfect tense usage - 1. event occurred in past and still is in act 2. the event occurred in past but its effect is still witnessed. 3. When an action occurred which has no definite time.

SO " has been continually increasing " is right and so is " is continually increasing"

The main issue is the redundancy - indicates that X.... and Y... that can be omitted here as a list of indications is provided and a single that here correctly refers to both of the entities. I understand that there are examples when more than 1 "that " is used. But the cases involve long modifiers: for eg - " indicates that x,(modifier of X)..., and that Y,(modifier of Y).

So the main differentiating point between C and E is " that". And as the " present perfect " is optional you choose a more concise form.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 12:00
mikemcgarry - In option C - Can we eliminate it on the basis of Continually Adverb and Increasing Gerund.
Re: The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2018, 12:00

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

The measurement of the Earth's atmospheric temperature over the past

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap