This thread might be of little interest to you if you do not have a green-card application going on right now. Or you can read this thread to realize just how fortunate you people are
I am sure that a lot of GMATClubbers are internationals working in the US as non-immigrants (H1B). In the July bulletin, almost everybody who was waiting for his/her turn to file a green-card application became eligible to file for the same. So a lot of international MBA applicants would be in the same situation as mine. So, I thought that I should start a thread to discuss our situations and the possible options that we have. I found a BW thread on similar issue, but it doesn't seem to have much life.
I'll start with my case. I am from India, but since my wife was born outside India, we fall under the “EB3 – Rest of the world” category. Our priority date is December 2005. We became eligible to apply for I-485 in the July bulletin, and plan to apply for the same (and EAD) in the first week of July. Due to the flood of applications that USCIS got in June and will get in July, I am not sure when I will get my EAD and the eventual green-card.
I am assuming / hoping that I may get the EAD in 3-6 months (EAD is valid for only one year .. so it won't make sense if it takes more than 6 months to get it). But I have just no idea about the green-card. Since we would belong to the “Rest of the world”, perhaps we'll get the green-card sooner than Indian applicants (As India always reaches its upper-cap) .. but I still am not sure if that “sooner” actually means “within one year”.
Now my MBA application plan is in trouble because of this situation. Because I have applied for a green-card, I am not going to get F1 visa (I have already shown my immigration intent). If I quit my job, I'll lose H1B. Do I lose the EAD and the I485 too? In any case, I really want to ensure that I have a green-card when I am looking for a job post MBA.
One option that I have is: Keep my job, and go on a 2 years studies vacation (or get a similar job on EAD in a company that is willing to let me go for 2 years of studies). I don't know if this option is feasible. Is there any other option for me? Can I go for a full-time MBA after getting an EAD and a pending I485? Don't I need to be working on the same (or similar) job till I get the actual green-card? I am going to be 28 next month (Matriculating when 29) .. and I would not want to postpone my MBA plans by one more year (The age in 3s somehow sounds old)