Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [2]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: The message behind the selection of certain Nobel Prize winners is muc [#permalink]
daagh DmitryFarber SaraiGMAT generis

Please respond :
The intended meaning:
-A certain message is much different from that of the past years
- this phenomenon has lead the analysts to subscribe to X(modifier) or to Y (modifier)

Structure :
Main clause, verb-ing modifier modifying entire clause.

", leading analysts subscribing to theories being promoted by the political right or to any explanation likely prompted by the committee's ...."

Here after "being promoted by the political right " we need "or" to make the sentence clear and parallel.
If we do not have "or" it would say :being promoted by political rights(by) or any explanation
The OA (B) follows the above construction and hence is ambiguous
This isn't the intended meaning, so isn't this ambiguous?

jennpt is discarding D , for the usage of "being" as a modifier a valid reasoning?

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The message behind the selection of certain Nobel Prize winners is muc [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm afraid I can't comment on the intended meaning of this one, because I have no idea what it is! All five choices are basically incoherent. The difference in message led analysts to subscribe BOTH to right-wing theories AND to explanations that were prompted by the focus on climate change? What?!? Not one part of that makes any sense. I hope this isn't really a Veritas question . . .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AdityaHongunti

You asked about our justification for eliminating D. I would ding it first for "resulting in the fact that." Wow, is that a long and wordy substitute for the same idea as "leading to"!

In general, I would have "the fact that" on my list of things that are always suspicious. Not dead wrong, but highly suspicious.

Your best idiom in these choices is leading someone to do something. That should ring out clear as a bell in B.

Then, to your point, the "being" in D is wholly unnecessary. We could just have easily said "theories promoted by."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts