Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [65]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [12]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [8]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [6]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The methods proposed for reducing the amount of interest to be paid [#permalink]
Kudos
Subject of the sentence is "Methods"

Options A & B suggest Methods are not able... which isnt' right

Option D & E correct the above error but mention "cannot be used without succeeding in creating a problem ". This changes them meaning of orginial sentience. Original sentence says Methods can't be successfully used where as Options D &E convey successfully creating a problem

Option E corrects the errors and conveys right meaning of sentence
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [4]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: The methods proposed for reducing the amount of interest to be paid [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"can" can say about qualification or a possibility. inhere, we need to say about a possibility, so, "we can use "can" as in choice C, D and E.

"able" is used to say about qualification not about a possibility, so, choice A and B is incorrect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sandrajoseph16 wrote:
Is there a difference between “cannot successfully be used” and “cannot be used successfully”? Are both these constructions grammatically correct?
I had selected A just because it had used the latter one and “cannot successfully be used” seemed wrong to me.
In a situation in which we have to "connect" the used to something, I'd probably prefer the option that puts successfully next to can.

Neither method can be used successfully to do something.

Neither method can successfully be used to do something.

But this question doesn't test us on that, so the better answer to your question is that both those phrases are possible. Just keep in mind that option A uses are not able to be used successfully, not cannot be used successfully. That is, we are not asked to take that call in this question.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
The methods proposed for reducing the amount of interest to be paid [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
penco wrote:
Hey generis AjiteshArun
I don't have any issue with options.
I want to ask about the usage of for reducing in this sentence.
We cannot refute on this but most of the times I have seen experts stress on the usage of to reduce.
Can you help me get what exactly is the difference between the two and how can we ascertain when to use which one ?

Hi penco,

My reply is not specific to this question (maybe you're also thinking about this other question?), but the for + gerund call may come down to whether we're looking at the purpose of a specific person or entity (or maybe a specific situation):

I. Purpose of a person: Don't use for + gerund.
1. I went to the market to buy vegetables. (source) ← To + plain form is appropriate here (for the purpose of a specific person/situation).
2. I went to the market for buying vegetables.For + gerund is incorrect (for the purpose of a specific person/situation).
3. I went to the market for vegetables.For + noun is fine, but slightly ambiguous: is this a "market for vegetables"? This is not a major problem, as to can be ambiguous as well, and sentences like "I went somewhere (X) for some Y" are very common.

II. General purpose of a noun: Both for + gerund and the to + plain form can be used to introduce the general purpose of something (a noun):
4. ... the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first drug for treating COVID-19. (source)
5. ... a drug to treat kidney stones, for instance, was raised from $1.50 per pill to $30. (source)

This is especially common with the verb (be) used (a drug used for treating X and a drug used to treat X are both correct).

III. A specific situation: Try not to use for + gerund.
6. An experimental cocktail of drugs was used to treat the president. ← This is what we'd normally expect to hear.
7. An experimental cocktail of drugs was used for treating the president. ← This is a very specific ("one-time") situation, and I would not use for + gerund here.

Just keep in mind, though, that with certain words, to + plain form is much more common (or in other cases, much less common) than for + gerund, leading to preference calls.

TL;DR: Choosing between [to + plain form] and [for + gerund] isn't always easy. Try to prioritise other entry points.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Hi experts, MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun

I don't think I caught this last time, but within answer choices B, D, and E, is the phrase "...a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow..." literally saying the following: a [the] future OF insufficient cash flow? Like a TYPE of future?

Totally valid. Insufficient cash flow is certainly a kind of problem. But a kind of future? Nope. The future can be bleak. But it cannot be a cash flow.

Nicely done!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SUV0508 wrote:
I didn't like the answer choices. In option C, "future problem" sounds awkward, especially when the phrase is modified by "insufficient cash flow"

Hello SUV0508,

We hope this finds you well.

It is important to remember, that on the GMAT awkwardness is not a dealbreaker; an answer choice can seem awkward to our ears but still be entirely correct. Awkwardness should only be taken into account if there are multiple answer choices that are otherwise error-free.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V26
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Is there a difference between “cannot successfully be used” and “cannot be used successfully”? Are both these constructions grammatically correct?
I had selected A just because it had used the latter one and “cannot successfully be used” seemed wrong to me.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
Kudos
The methods proposed for reducing the amount of interest to be paid are not able to be used successfully without creating a problem of insufficient cash flow in the future.

'are not able' is not the intended meaning. The methods are not able to do something? We want to say 'the methods cannot successfully be used.'

'without succeeding' is not correct; the method can be successful or unsuccesful.

Answer is C.

A) are not able to be used successfully without creating a problem of insufficient cash flow in the future

B) are not able successfully to be used without creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow

C) cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow

D) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow

E) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64884 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi Experts

GMATNinja KarishmaB MartyTargetTestPrep

The methods proposed for reducing the amount of interest to be paid are not able to be used successfully without creating a problem of insufficient cash flow in the future.

A) are not able to be used successfully without creating a problem of insufficient cash flow in the future

B) are not able successfully to be used without creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow

C) cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow

D) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow

E) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow

Isn't option C wrong

What I understood is that
For the methods to be succesfully used , we need to create a future problem of insufficient cash flow

Is this illogical?

Take another example:
You cannot consume antibiotics without experiencing their side effects.
This means that if you do consume antibiotics, you will experience their side effects.

The methods ... cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow
means if you do use the methods successfully, you will create a future problem of insufficient cash flow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V24
Send PM
What is verb of the sentence “cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow”
cannot be used....?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rahaman9969 wrote:
What is verb of the sentence “cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow”
cannot be used....?

Rahaman9969 , yes, cannot be used is the verb.

Methods . . . cannot be used [successfully] . . . without creating a problem.

You are correct. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GRE 1: Q167 V162
GPA: 3.5
Send PM

C) cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow - looks good

D) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow -

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
(1) meaning error: “The methods…are not able to be used successfully…” how can “methods” be able to do anything? Illogical;

(1) meaning error: “The methods…are not able successfully…” how can “methods” be able to do anything? Illogical; (2)

Best option

(1) meaning error: “The methods…cannot be used WITHOUT SUCCEEDING IN CREATING A PROBLEM…” so the methods can’t be used UNLESS there is success in the creation of a problem, particularly around the future of insufficient cash flow? Illogical and changes the meaning

(1) meaning error: similar to that of option D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

A) are not able to be used successfully without creating a problem of insufficient cash flow in the future ->Does it makes sense to say" The methods proposed are not able to be used successfully..."

B) are not able successfully to be used without creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow-> Does it makes sense to say" The methods proposed are not able successfully..."

C) cannot successfully be used without creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow ->"The methods proposed cannot successfully..." makes sense. Let's keep it.

D) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow-> without succeeding in creating a problem, this is changing the intended meaning.

E) cannot be used without succeeding in creating a future problem of insufficient cash flow -> without succeeding in creating a problem, this is changing the intended meaning.

So, I think C. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
The methods proposed for reducing the amount of interest to be paid [#permalink]
Hi experts, MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja AjiteshArun

I don't think I caught this last time, but within answer choices B, D, and E, is the phrase "...a problem in the future of insufficient cash flow..." literally saying the following: a [the] future OF insufficient cash flow? Like a TYPE of future?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Schools: Kelley (A)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V157
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
generis wrote:

SC52661.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

Hey generis AjiteshArun
We cannot refute on this but most of the times I have seen experts stress on the usage of to reduce.
Can you help me get what exactly is the difference between the two and how can we ascertain when to use which one ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
penco wrote:
generis wrote:

SC52661.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

Hey generis AjiteshArun

I use for when the context is for information and to when doer has purpose
e.g.: I went supermarket to buy vegetables ( clear purpose: why I went there)
He was fired for coming late.--> Here the purpose of firing was not coming late but it was a reason to fire.
The decision for selecting people was given by leaders.--again information but not purpose

it is easy to identify purpose, so I reserve to for such cases.
I hope it helps.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts