Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2233 [191]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [63]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sacmanitin wrote:
The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s.

(A) The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s.

(B) The modernization program for the steel mill, hopefully completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.

(C) Modernizing the steel mill, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.

(D) The program for modernizing the steel mill, which can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s and cost approximately 51 million dollars.

(E) Modernizing the steel mill, a program that can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.

Here is my analysis of this question:

The entire sentence is underlined so we will likely see different sentence structures in the options. This is what it tells us:

The modernization program will cost 51 million dollars and it can hopefully be completed in the late 1980’s (and not later).

‘Modernizing the steel mill’ gives more information than ‘modernization program for the steel mill.’ It tells us what exactly is getting modernized and from the context it certainly looks like the mill is getting modernized. So, we would prefer ‘modernizing the steel mill’ but will not eliminate anything.

(A) The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s.
The relative pronoun ‘which’ modifies the program but is very close to the ’51 million dollars’ and seems to modify it.
Also, the adverb ‘hopefully’ serves the purpose better than the modifying clause ‘it is hoped.’ If we do use this clause, we should use it as a non-essential modifier surrounded by commas.

(B) The modernization program for the steel mill, hopefully completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
‘completed’ has been used as a modifying past participle, not as a verb (To be used as a verb, it needed a helping verb because it has passive meaning – ‘the program will be completed,’ not ‘the program completed’)
So, it seems to say that the program was completed in the past, but we are discussing a future program (which will cost 51 million dollars). Hence, this option is incorrect.

(C) Modernizing the steel mill, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
The meaning has changed here. ‘…to be completed in the late 1980’s’ means that the intent is to complete it in the late 1980’s, not before. Then, the use of ‘hopefully’ doesn’t make sense. The intent is to say that it will hopefully be done by then. The adverb ‘hopefully’ needs a verb so we need to say ‘hopefully will/can be completed …’
Hence, this option is incorrect.

(D) The program for modernizing the steel mill, which can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s and cost approximately 51 million dollars.
This is a fragment. We don’t have a main clause! Often, when the sentence involves complete restructuring, we have one or two options which are missing the main clause. Our work simplifies a whole lot when that happens.
The structure here is ‘the program …, which can be completed… and cost …’
The ‘which’ clause is erroneous too. ‘and’ joins ‘can be completed…’ with ‘cost …’ so the two should be parallel. But we need a verb with cost such as ‘will cost…’
Hence, this option is incorrect.

(E) Modernizing the steel mill, a program that can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
Here, the main clause is ‘Modernizing the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars.’
‘a program that can be completed in the late 1980’s’ is a noun modifier with the structure ‘noun + that clause (modifier).’ It correctly modifies ‘modernizing the steel mill.’
‘it is hoped’ is a non-essential modifier within this noun modifier.
Everything is correct here.
Answer (E)
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [6]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
B & C are rejected, hopefully is never right in GMAT.
Which is always used when there is a doubt...
So using which and hoped together is not right... :idea:
A & D are out....

IMO E
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business
GPA: -
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects
Send PM
Re: The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately [#permalink]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I was just trolling the boards, and then I saw myself summoned! So here I am, Indien! : )

The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s.

PROBLEM: "which" is a relative pronoun that opens up a modifying phrase. The rule on that is that it must always tough the noun it modifies. The modernization of the steel mill, however, is far away from this "which", so this won't work. "Modernization program for the steel mill" is also a terrible way to word that, though not technically incorrect.

PROBLEM: "completed" is a past participle, which makes no sense here. This program will be completed at some point in the future. Modifying it with a past participle is illogical.

PROBLEM: "Hopefully to be completed" ought to be modifying the program itself. Unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared in this question. Also "to be completed" is not a legitimate way to say this. We'd prefer "which will/can hopefully be completed...".

PROBLEM: Parallelism, because of the AND. While we hope that the program will be completed on time, we don't hope it will cost 51 million dollars. That's just what it will cost Nice try, AND. Also, this is not a complete sentence. This is because we opened up a modifying phrase with the word "which", and we never returned to the main clause "The program for modernizing the steel mill...".

ANSWER: Yep, it's got lots of commas. But commas are good! People forget the power of commas. Don't cross something out just because it's full of commas.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

Thanks for the explanation.

I still dont understand why C is wrong.
Modernizing the steel plant, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars.
Bold part here is set off by commas, so there are no issues in "Modernizing the steel plant will cost approximately 51 million dollars".
What is wrong with modifying clause "hopefully to be completed in the late 1980's".
Is there any rule why hopefully is mostly wrong on GMAT?

please explain :roll:
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [10]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey gsothee,

As I said, we need to be modifying the program, not the act of "modernizing the steel mill". You can't say "Modernizing, hopefully to be completed soon, is good." You'd have to say something like "The modernization may be completed soon."

As for the second part, it's just total gibberish. I can't say "My book, hopefully to be completed tomorrow..." You'd say "My book, which I"ll hopefully complete tomorrow..." or something like that.

Make more sense?

-t
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately [#permalink]
Bookmarks
sacmanitin wrote:

Official Explanation:

Choice A can be faulted because which grammatically refers to 5l million dollars, the nearest noun phrase. At any rate, it is not clear in choices A, B, C, or D whether the modernization program or the steel mill is supposed to be completed in the late 1980's. In B and C, the use of hopefully for it is hoped still meets with strong and widespread objection from many editors, lexicographers, and authors of usage handbooks. Aside from having an ambiguous which, D contains no independent clause and so cannot stand as a sentence. Choice E is the best answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM

(A) The modernization program for the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars, which it is hoped can be completed in the late 1980’s. - which illogically modifies 51 million dollars

(B) The modernization program for the steel mill, hopefully completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars. - Tense issue - program will be completed at some point in the future. So, "hopefully completed in the late 1980’s" is illogical

(C) Modernizing the steel mill, hopefully to be completed in the late 1980’s, will cost approximately 51 million dollars. - what will be completed in late 1980's - modernizing or the steel mill - is unclear

(D) The program for modernizing the steel mill, which can, it is hoped, be completed in the late 1980’s and cost approximately 51 million dollars. -- No independent clause

Please enlighten on options C-E and explain the role of the phrase "it is hoped" in option D and E. In my opinion, "it is hoped" seems like an independent clause within an independent clause.

In E,
Modernizing the steel mill will cost approximately 51 million dollars. - Independent clause

a program that can be completed in the late 1980’s - an appositive that modifies the "Modernizing the steel mill".
Does "it is hoped" acts as an adverb for the appositive phrase here?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , ChiranjeevSingh , ccooley, other experts - please enlighten
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos