GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 03:47
MSR007 wrote:
daagh wrote:
The important elements to remember are that it is an abstract expressionist painting and that it was not just an expensive painting but an expensive painting ever sold. These are essential legacies of the original text and should be taken through in the correct choice.

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million --- Looks ok;

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million ---I see no problem with ‘that was’ created except that it is two words extra. But more importantly, it is missing the ever sold point and hence is not reproducing the intent of the original.

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting ---- same as in B. In addition, 'a most expensive' is ungrammatical.

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold --- making it ‘the more expensive’ is wrong.

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million – missing the abstract expressionist piece

A therefore is the correct choice.

Hi Daagh,

Although i marked A as the answer, it was a difficult choice between A and B. Also,IMO, the language is a bit messed up as it should've been 'an abstract expressionist piece' as this clearly represent a genre/category.
My question is: What should be the concrete reason to choose A over B?

[b]MSR007
B changes the meaning.
[/b]

Hi friends,
Please tell me one more reason to eliminate E over A.other than the below one.
Quote:
– missing the abstract expressionist piece

Thankyou.

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 13:05
MSR007 wrote:
daagh wrote:
The important elements to remember are that it is an abstract expressionist painting and that it was not just an expensive painting but an expensive painting ever sold. These are essential legacies of the original text and should be taken through in the correct choice.

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million --- Looks ok;

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million ---I see no problem with ‘that was’ created except that it is two words extra. But more importantly, it is missing the ever sold point and hence is not reproducing the intent of the original.

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting ---- same as in B. In addition, 'a most expensive' is ungrammatical.

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold --- making it ‘the more expensive’ is wrong.

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million – missing the abstract expressionist piece

A therefore is the correct choice.

Hi Daagh,

Although i marked A as the answer, it was a difficult choice between A and B. Also,IMO, the language is a bit messed up as it should've been 'an abstract expressionist piece' as this clearly represent a genre/category.
My question is: What should be the concrete reason to choose A over B?

If you got confused between A & B, I suggest you to pay attention to use of "ever" in original sentence. "Daagh" clearly indicated in explanation. In general such subtle details are not the ones to be ignored in the answer choices. To your further query about what should have been or otherwise - Just pay good reason to POE and move on after all we have to choose best from the given answers not the best answer.
Hope it clarifies.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 13:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap