Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [5]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OzCat4 wrote:
But I am not clear with A, B, and C.
A: The phrase "continually from his teenage years on" indicates the photographing is a continued action. So, I think the use of past tense in this choice "who photographed it" is wrong, and the correct sentence should be "who has photographed it..."
It depends on (a) whether the person the sentence is talking about is still alive and (b) whether that person is still performing the action discussed in the sentence.

1. Einstein, who continually attempted to argue against quantum mechanics...
Because Einstein is no longer alive, the past tense is appropriate.

2. X, who has continually attempted to argue against quantum mechanics...
If X is still alive and is still trying to argue against quantum mechanics, we can use the present perfect tense in this sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
Send PM
Re: The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made [#permalink]
Shouldn't be there comma after it? Isn't continually creating a modifier error?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shreshtha55 wrote:
Shouldn't be there comma after it? Isn't continually creating a modifier error?
Continually just means regularly. You can read that part of the sentence like this:

Ansel Adams, who photographed it regularly...

If we add a comma after it, we'll get
Ansel Adams, who photographed it, regularly...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [2]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Can some please explain why C is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
EducationAisle

Hey,

I eliminated choice B and C because "continually" is an adverb and after "and" there is nothing for the adverb to modify (there needs to be another verb after and).

Is this correct thinking? I am surprised no one in this forum talked about it. I instantly eliminated B and C because "continually" needs to modify how he photographed.

GMAT tests this concept often by puting an adverb after comparison or conjunction but there is nothing for the adverb to modify

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
DiyaDutta wrote:
Can some please explain why C is wrong?

Hi DiyaDutta

Having seen many OG explanations, I would assume that C seems too wordy vs. option A.
Both sentences have the same meaning, but A looks much cleaner and sharper. And, unfortunately, our lovely GMAT prefers short and direct sentences.

Kudos please if my reply helped, even a little. Need to unlock those cool GMATCLUB tests, that were free this Thursday! :tongue_opt3
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brego wrote:
I eliminated choice B and C because "continually" is an adverb and after "and" there is nothing for the adverb to modify (there needs to be another verb after and).

Well, in B and C, a case could be made that photographed it is elided after continually.

I would strike off B and C, primarily for redundancy.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Abhishek009,

is (Comma + WHO) acceptable syntax ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ammuseeru wrote:
Abhishek009,

is (Comma + WHO) acceptable syntax ?
I'm not sure if you're still looking for a reply, but yes, it is perfectly acceptable to put a comma before this type of who. The comma may in fact be necessary:

... Mahatma Gandhi who was one of the... ← This one is not correct. It seems to suggest that there were multiple Mahatma Gandhis.
... Mahatma Gandhi, who was one of the... ← This one just introduces some additional information about Mahatma Gandhi, without implying that there are other Mahatma Gandhis.

Keep in mind that this is a meaning call.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 708
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
Send PM
Are we choosing A over C just because of concision. Not able to understand why is C incorrect?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
B and C are out because of parallelism issues. When we have a conjunction, we need both X and Y to be parallel. However, we have:

starting (adjective) and continually (adverb)

Moreover, these two sentences are redundant. If we're told Ansel Adams did something continuously, we don't need 'starting in his teenage years' -- this is already implied.

We can simply say 'continually from his teenage years on.'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja

Even after reading the entire thread for this question, I am unable to eliminate B and C. The only reason I understand is wordiness or awkwardness from the above discussion. Can you please share your thoughts on the two options.

Thanks for your help!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
virat03 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja

Even after reading the entire thread for this question, I am unable to eliminate B and C. The only reason I understand is wordiness or awkwardness from the above discussion. Can you please share your thoughts on the two options.

Thanks for your help!

Hello virat03,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can help resolve your doubt.

Your assessment here is actually correct. B and C are both grammatically correct; their only drawback is their awkward and needlessly wordy constructions. As we mentioned in our explanation, some students may believe that Options B and C are incorrect due to a supposed lack of parallelism between the present participle "starting" and the adverb "continually"; however, this is not the case. In these answer choices, "starting" plays the role of an adverb acting upon the verb "photographed", just as "continually" does. To understand this concept, please consider this example "John jogs every day, starting from his house and continuing for five miles." - in this example, both "starting from his house" and "continuing for five miles" both convey information about the action - "jogs" - that "John" takes. Thus, both are adverb phrases, meaning they are parallel.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made [#permalink]
Dmitriy wrote:
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams, who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.

(A) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on

(B) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually

(C) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on

(D) having photographed it continually since his teenage years

(E) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal KarishmaB! Would you mind tackling this question? Thank you! :please:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Will2020 wrote:
Dmitriy wrote:
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams, who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.

(A) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on

(B) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually

(C) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on

(D) having photographed it continually since his teenage years

(E) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually

Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal KarishmaB! Would you mind tackling this question? Thank you! :please:

(D) and (E) are out because comma + present participle at the end is not suitable here. Neither is it cause effect nor a how explanation of the previous action etc. It doesn't modify the subject of the previous clause "images" either.

"who photographed ..." after Ansel Adams makes sense since it tells us about Ansel Adams but is not essential to the meaning of the sentence.

'continually' means 'uninterrupted'.
So what we want to say is that Ansel Adams photographed YNP continually from his teenage years onwards. He started photographing it in his teenage years and continued uninterrupted.
So (A) makes complete sense and concisely explains what is meant.

(B) and (C) are not as good as (A) because they seem to have disconnected 'continually' and 'the point from which it has been done continually'. If we want to say that he did it regularly from a certain point onwards, then (A) is better.
This is where concision is preferable. Concision does not mean that we should count the words and prefer one word over two words. It means that what can be said directly and elegantly should not be said in a round about confusing way.

Hence (A) is the best.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made [#permalink]
Hi atulsinghpm,

Your'e absolutely right them would have been absolutely spot on however we can only work with the sentences we are given , therefore proeeding forward

D and E have verb tense issue and doesn't completely relate exactly why the photographs are perfect is it that he started late we have absolutely no clue

A perfectly conveys the meaning the photograhs were great since he has been doing it for a long time
Moreover if we turn off our ear we can spot the right answer

THerefore IMO A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I am new, please help me legends of Gmatclub. My understanding is that 'who' can only be used for subjects of the sentence when being used as a relative pronoun/modifier ? Am i wrong? Which concept am i missing here?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts