Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [1]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Re: The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Dmitriy wrote:
The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams, who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.

(A) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on

(B) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually

(C) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on

(D) having photographed it continually since his teenage years

(E) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually

Explanation-
(A) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on- This is the correct answer. No errors

(B) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually- the phrase starting from teenage years and then continually is awkward and not precise

(C) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on- the phrase starting from teenage years and then continually is awkward and not precise

(D) having photographed it continually since his teenage years- the use of ing modifier is incorrect

(E) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually- use of ing modifier is incorrect
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made [#permalink]
EducationAisle wrote:
mdbajaj wrote:
I am new, please help me legends of Gmatclub. My understanding is that 'who' can only be used for subjects of the sentence when being used as a relative pronoun/modifier ? Am i wrong? Which concept am i missing here?

Your understanding seems to be broadly correct.

Basically, "who" (when used as a relative pronoun) serves as the subject of the clause that "who" is a part of.

Let's look at the sentence:

The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams, who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.

This has two clauses:

i) The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams
- "images" is the subject and "are" is the verb.

ii) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.
"who" (referring to the noun "photographer Ansel Adams") is the subject and "photographed" is the verb).

Thank you, though I have a follow-up doubt. My understanding also tells me that IC clauses are supposed to be either connected by FANBOYS or a semi colon? But neither is used to show a second independent clause?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mdbajaj wrote:
Does this rule only apply to whom? Whom is supposed to be a pronoun for the object of the sentence whereas Who was supposed to be a pronoun for the subject

Hi mdbajaj,

This is the mistake: "'who' can only be used for subjects of the sentence". The rule you're thinking about is not related to the sentence as a whole. Instead, it's limited to the clause introduced by who itself.

1. The person who meets... ← Here who is not the subject of the sentence (this isn't a complete sentence). It is actually the subject of meets.

2. The person whom we met... ← Here whom is the object of met (and we is the subject of met).

In these examples, who/whom refer to the person, and that noun may or may not be the subject of the sentence. It is actually the part after who/whom that helps us decide which one to use.

Finally, be careful with this rule. Whom can't be used as a substitute for who, but there is a lot of disagreement over whether who can replace whom.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdbajaj wrote:
My understanding also tells me that IC clauses are supposed to be either connected by FANBOYS or a semi colon? But neither is used to show a second independent clause?

You are right. Second clause ("who photographed it continually from his teenage years on") is a dependent clause. It might be handy to remember that all relative clauses are dependent clauses.

You can watch our video on Independent and Dependent clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Independent and Dependent clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdbajaj wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
mdbajaj wrote:
I am new, please help me legends of Gmatclub. My understanding is that 'who' can only be used for subjects of the sentence when being used as a relative pronoun/modifier ? Am i wrong? Which concept am i missing here?

Your understanding seems to be broadly correct.

Basically, "who" (when used as a relative pronoun) serves as the subject of the clause that "who" is a part of.

Let's look at the sentence:

This has two clauses:

i) The most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are those made by photographer Ansel Adams
- "images" is the subject and "are" is the verb.

ii) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on.
"who" (referring to the noun "photographer Ansel Adams") is the subject and "photographed" is the verb).

Thank you, though I have a follow-up doubt. My understanding also tells me that IC clauses are supposed to be either connected by FANBOYS or a semi colon? But neither is used to show a second independent clause?

Hello mdbajaj,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

Your understanding of how ICs are joined is correct, but "who photographed it continually from his teenage years on" is not an independent clause; it is a dependent clause that modifies "Ansel Adams". Hence, this clause is correctly linked to the noun it modifies with a comma.

Remember, to be considered independent, a clause must have an independent subject that is acted upon by an active verb to produce a complete thought, or in other words, it must be a complete sentence in itself.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
can an ing verbal modify a logical nearest pronoun or it has to be noun only?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
can an ing verbal modify a logical nearest pronoun or it has to be noun only?

It can be a pronoun if it makes sense in that context.

Looking radiant in a white dress, she is guiding us through the forest.

A present participial modifier modifies a person or a thing or an entire previous clause (or the subject of the previous clause).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey himanshu0123

Happy to help!

The foremost thing to understand is that pronouns are essentially nouns. A pronoun is used to replace a noun in a sentence. This logically implies that pronouns (obviously) have to do the work of the nouns they replace. For instance, when a pronoun replaces the subject of a sentence, that pronoun, from thereon, behaves as the subject of that sentence it is a part of. Let's look at an example:

a. Tom is angry.
b. He is angry.

The pronoun 'he' replaces 'Tom'. This means that 'he' is now the subject of 'b'. In other words, the pronoun 'he' does the work of the noun 'Tom'.

So, if a verb-ing word can modify an immediately preceding noun, it should also automatically be able to modify an immediately preceding pronoun. Let's look at some examples:

c. I saw Tom standing on the roof of his house.
d. I saw him standing on the roof of his house.

Let's look at another variation:

e. The man who, knowing the traffic rules very well, continued to drive over the speed limit was punished for willful negligence.

Here, the verb-ing modifier 'knowing' modifies the relative pronoun 'who', and also provides concession to the action 'continued to drive'. In other words, despite knowing the traffic rules very well, he continued to drive over the speed limit. So, that man was punished for willful negligence.

So, as you can see from the above, verb-ing modifiers can certainly modify preceding pronouns. What you need to be careful of are logical consistency and rhetorical construction.

I hope this improves your understanding.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
mejia401 wrote:

a) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on OK - At first, I thought "continually" + "years on" were redundant and "it" didn't have an antecedent (as Yosemite... is in a prepositional phrase), so I looked for a better sentence. There were none. This is the best among the five here.

b) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually "and then continually" looked normal but it is actually far from normal. "And" joins a participle and an adverb? Never seen such a thing. Out.

c) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on Same as above. Additionally, "continually from then on" is redundant. "Continually" already means "then on".

d) having photographed it continually since his teenage years "having" doesn't secure modifier to Ansel Adams. It's implied, but A is still a better choice.

e) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually Same errors as above - redundancy, parallelism, and.. sort of a dangling modifier.

IMO A

regarding A: can sth in a prepositional phrase never be an antecedent?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Schachfreizeit wrote:
mejia401 wrote:

a) who photographed it continually from his teenage years on OK - At first, I thought "continually" + "years on" were redundant and "it" didn't have an antecedent (as Yosemite... is in a prepositional phrase), so I looked for a better sentence. There were none. This is the best among the five here.

b) who photographed it starting from his teenage years and then continually "and then continually" looked normal but it is actually far from normal. "And" joins a participle and an adverb? Never seen such a thing. Out.

c) who photographed it starting in his teenage years and continually from then on Same as above. Additionally, "continually from then on" is redundant. "Continually" already means "then on".

d) having photographed it continually since his teenage years "having" doesn't secure modifier to Ansel Adams. It's implied, but A is still a better choice.

e) having photographed it starting in his teenage years and then continually Same errors as above - redundancy, parallelism, and.. sort of a dangling modifier.

IMO A

regarding A: can sth in a prepositional phrase never be an antecedent?

Hello Schachfreizeit,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, yes; there is no reason that a noun that is part of a prepositional phrase cannot serve as an antecedent.

For example, "I was going to eat at the cafe', but it was closed."

Here, "cafe" is part of the prepositional phrase "at the cafe", and it is the antecedent of the pronoun "it".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Tuck '26 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
can a ",verb-ing" mod, when used as a noun mod, modify only the subject? I can't shake off option-D. Please help!!
GMATNinja, daagh
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Auror_07 wrote:
can a ",verb-ing" mod, when used as a noun mod, modify only the subject? I can't shake off option-D. Please help!!

GMATNinja, daagh

Remember, you're trying to decide why (A) is better than (D), not why (D) is wrong in a vacuum.

In (A), the noun modifier ("who...") very clearly modifies Ansel Adams. All good there.

In (D), the "having..." part could technically modify the subject ("the most widely known images of Yosemite National Park") or perhaps the main subject+verb ("the most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are"). In fact, given how "comma + verb-ing" structures are often used, it would be perfectly natural for the reader to associate the "having..." part with one of those two, at least at first glance. Of course, the meaning doesn't really make sense in that case.

Sure, you could convince yourself the phrase beginning with "having" should modify Ansel Adams himself, and maybe the sentence is still reasonable. But the sentence structure certainly doesn't lend itself to that logical interpretation.

The other issue is that "having photographed" implies some sort of causality. Here, have an example:

"Having photographed all of the animals at the zoo, Tim decided to go to the aquarium."

This suggests that the "having" part somehow influenced Tim's decision to go to the aquarium -- and that makes perfect sense in this example.

Back to the original question. So does (D) imply that the images are widely known simply because Adams has been photographing the park since his teenage years? That's not necessarily wrong, but the meaning in (A) is better: The most widely known images of the park are the ones made by Adams, and Adams photographed the park continually from his teenage years on.

Again, you don't need to know that (D) is wrong because it violates some clear-cut grammar rules. You just need to understand why (A) is the clearer and better sentence.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Tuck '26 (I)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Auror_07 wrote:

GMATNinja, daagh

Remember, you're trying to decide why (A) is better than (D), not why (D) is wrong in a vacuum.

In (A), the noun modifier ("who...") very clearly modifies Ansel Adams. All good there.

In (D), the "having..." part could technically modify the subject ("the most widely known images of Yosemite National Park") or perhaps the main subject+verb ("the most widely known images of Yosemite National Park are"). In fact, given how "comma + verb-ing" structures are often used, it would be perfectly natural for the reader to associate the "having..." part with one of those two, at least at first glance. Of course, the meaning doesn't really make sense in that case.

Sure, you could convince yourself the phrase beginning with "having" should modify Ansel Adams himself, and maybe the sentence is still reasonable. But the sentence structure certainly doesn't lend itself to that logical interpretation.

The other issue is that "having photographed" implies some sort of causality. Here, have an example:

"Having photographed all of the animals at the zoo, Tim decided to go to the aquarium."

This suggests that the "having" part somehow influenced Tim's decision to go to the aquarium -- and that makes perfect sense in this example.

Back to the original question. So does (D) imply that the images are widely known simply because Adams has been photographing the park since his teenage years? That's not necessarily wrong, but the meaning in (A) is better: The most widely known images of the park are the ones made by Adams, and Adams photographed the park continually from his teenage years on.

Again, you don't need to know that (D) is wrong because it violates some clear-cut grammar rules. You just need to understand why (A) is the clearer and better sentence.

I hope that helps!

It was pretty clear once I learned that the comma+verb-ing usually brings in cause-effect. From that viewpoint, (D) definitely doesn't make sense. Thanks for your response!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
What is "on" doing in the first sentence? I got it wrong because "on" made the sentence too awkward and I selected D.

How to tackle such questions?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
sk05 wrote:
What is "on" doing in the first sentence? I got it wrong because "on" made the sentence too awkward and I selected D.

How to tackle such questions?

It is an accepted phrase.
Such as "From now on, you will go to school every day."
It means from this moment onwards.

'He photographed it continually from his teenage years on'
means he photographed it continually starting from his teenage years and then continued onwards.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts