GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 11:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     03:00 PM EST

     04:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: PLAY HARD OR GO HOME
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 148
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Dec 2017, 11:15
3
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:13) correct 35% (02:28) wrong based on 514 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned over the last decade with the struggles of barley growers.

Plan: In an effort to support these barley growers, two years ago, the NFA began a program of sending them, each autumn, a free special mix of fertilizer and enzymes designed to multiply barley yield, to be applied the following spring during first growth. This mix had been stunningly successful in multiplying the yield of barley in laboratory conditions.

Results: Most barley growers reported little change in their economic status over this two year period.

Further information: All barley growers received the shipments, and all used them. Weather conditions have been fair to optimal for barley growth over the past two years.

In light of the further information, which of the following, if true, does most to explain the result that followed the implementation of the plan?

A.)During these two years, most of the barley growers reported using no other fertilizer besides the special mix sent by the government.


B.)The trucks that drove the special mix from the depot in Wisconsin to the individual farms sometime took as much as 4 or 5 days.


C.)Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants.


D.)This program was implemented at a time when more than half of barley growers nationwide were reported barely breaking even in their yearly expenses.


E.)This was the second such NFA program to aid barley growers; the first one, 14 years ago, was started with high hopes, but did little to change their situation.

ALL THE BEST EVRYONE..HOPE U ALL GET IT RIGHT...

_________________

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.


Originally posted by vards on 02 Jul 2014, 01:43.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 07 Dec 2017, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.
formatted
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2012
Posts: 8
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 04:15
vards wrote:
The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned over the last decade with the struggles of barley growers.
Plan: In an effort to support these barley growers, two years ago, the NFA began a program of sending them, each autumn, a free special mix of fertilizer and enzymes designed to multiply barley yield, to be applied the following spring during first growth. This mix had been stunningly successful in multiplying the yield of barley in laboratory conditions.
Results: Most barley growers reported little change in their economic status over this two year period.
Further information: All barley growers received the shipments, and all used them. Weather conditions have been fair to optimal for barley growth over the past two years.

In light of the further information, which of the following, if true, does most to explain the result that followed the implementation of the plan?

A.)During these two years, most of the barley growers reported using no other fertilizer besides the special mix sent by the government.


B.)The trucks that drove the special mix from the depot in Wisconsin to the individual farms sometime took as much as 4 or 5 days.


C.)Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants.


D.)This program was implemented at a time when more than half of barley growers nationwide were reported barely breaking even in their yearly expenses.


E.)This was the second such NFA program to aid barley growers; the first one, 14 years ago, was started with high hopes, but did little to change their situation.


ALL THE BEST EVRYONE..HOPE U ALL GET IT RIGHT...KUDOS HIGHLY DESIRED PLEASE :-D :-D


Can someone explain how is the answer as given in OA? My answer is D which is wrong :(
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: PLAY HARD OR GO HOME
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 148
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 04:56
nehamodak wrote:
vards wrote:
The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned over the last decade with the struggles of barley growers.
Plan: In an effort to support these barley growers, two years ago, the NFA began a program of sending them, each autumn, a free special mix of fertilizer and enzymes designed to multiply barley yield, to be applied the following spring during first growth. This mix had been stunningly successful in multiplying the yield of barley in laboratory conditions.
Results: Most barley growers reported little change in their economic status over this two year period.
Further information: All barley growers received the shipments, and all used them. Weather conditions have been fair to optimal for barley growth over the past two years.

In light of the further information, which of the following, if true, does most to explain the result that followed the implementation of the plan?

A.)During these two years, most of the barley growers reported using no other fertilizer besides the special mix sent by the government.


B.)The trucks that drove the special mix from the depot in Wisconsin to the individual farms sometime took as much as 4 or 5 days.


C.)Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants.


D.)This program was implemented at a time when more than half of barley growers nationwide were reported barely breaking even in their yearly expenses.


E.)This was the second such NFA program to aid barley growers; the first one, 14 years ago, was started with high hopes, but did little to change their situation.


ALL THE BEST EVRYONE..HOPE U ALL GET IT RIGHT...KUDOS HIGHLY DESIRED PLEASE :-D :-D


Can someone explain how is the answer as given in OA? My answer is D which is wrong :(



Hello friend..!

check out this dis link...its a video explanation from magoosh expert..!




http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3128# ... oL3jh.dpuf



Hope it helps..! :-D




Kudos are motivating :)
_________________

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4564
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2015, 09:26
3
It is impossible to accept the reasoning behind choice C. If it means to say that the NFA gave a program that ultimately proved inimical to barley, then the program is a flop. This is like saying FDA approved for use by expecting mothers an obstetric medicine that failed because some ingredient of the medicine had some poisonous element. In a national program, the side effects are more important than the desired effect. Yet again, no farm program will release a plan direct from the lab without testing in the farms.

Secondly the argument does not say anything about barley yield. It simply talks about the farmer’s economic lot after using the kit. What if the barley did yield well but the prices fell?

If there were a choice: the price of barley plummeted in those years due to unprecedented dumping from the neighboring countries, which had introduced similar programs.
IMHO that is the kind of paradox that would be convincing.

(I have gone through the video explanation)
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 81
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 14:31
C.)Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants.

I haven't watched the video, but here is my explanation.

Argument: "Plan: In an effort to support these barley growers, two years ago, the NFA began a program of sending them, each autumn, a free special mix of fertilizer and enzymes designed to multiply barley yield, to be applied the following spring during first growth."

If there is a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants and you give this bacteria enough time to grow in its size, then you have a problem. So by following the government advice and applying the special mix only the following spring, the bacteria is given enough time to grow and endanger the crop.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2015
Posts: 72
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2015, 06:58
MrSobe17 wrote:
C.)Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants.

I haven't watched the video, but here is my explanation.

Argument: "Plan: In an effort to support these barley growers, two years ago, the NFA began a program of sending them, each autumn, a free special mix of fertilizer and enzymes designed to multiply barley yield, to be applied the following spring during first growth."

If there is a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants and you give this bacteria enough time to grow in its size, then you have a problem. So by following the government advice and applying the special mix only the following spring, the bacteria is given enough time to grow and endanger the crop.



If C is the paradox, can some one explain why was barley experiment successful in lab.

To choose C as answer, we need to make strong assumption that - this so called bacteria don't grow in lab but only grow in farms - and i don't think we need to assume things for solving a paradox.

I dont agree with the OA. But i feel none of the options are relevant.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1356
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2015, 23:54
2
C is definitely the right answer. We're looking for some new information that could explain why the plan didn't help. If the special mix has a negative effect aside from the positive one, that could explain the problem. This doesn't require us to assume anything. Clearly, if it worked well under laboratory conditions, either the harmful bacteria was not present (entirely plausible) or something else in the laboratory conditions kept it from being a problem. In a CR problem, we don't even need to get into all that, and we certainly don't want to question the plausibility of this happening. We simply accept the given premises (the mix worked in the lab, everyone used it, but no one is better off financially). Once we accept all that, we just look for some reason for the continued trouble--the right answer could have been any source of financial trouble: invaders from another galaxy ate all the barley, every single barley grower was robbed by a team of hackers . . . it really doesn't matter what it is. We just need to know why the plan didn't leave the growers better off.

A, B, and E all require tremendous assumptions on our part. Is it bad not to use other fertilizer, or to have the mix sit in a truck for days? Perhaps, but we don't know, so it's impossible to say if this information makes any difference. D expands on what we already know--the barley growers were in financial trouble--but it does nothing to help us understand why they are no better off now that the plan has been put into action.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 319
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 03:27
vards wrote:
The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned over the last decade with the struggles of barley growers.
Plan: In an effort to support these barley growers, two years ago, the NFA began a program of sending them, each autumn, a free special mix of fertilizer and enzymes designed to multiply barley yield, to be applied the following spring during first growth. This mix had been stunningly successful in multiplying the yield of barley in laboratory conditions.
Results: Most barley growers reported little change in their economic status over this two year period.
Further information: All barley growers received the shipments, and all used them. Weather conditions have been fair to optimal for barley growth over the past two years.

In light of the further information, which of the following, if true, does most to explain the result that followed the implementation of the plan?

A.)During these two years, most of the barley growers reported using no other fertilizer besides the special mix sent by the government.


B.)The trucks that drove the special mix from the depot in Wisconsin to the individual farms sometime took as much as 4 or 5 days.


C.)Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants.


D.)This program was implemented at a time when more than half of barley growers nationwide were reported barely breaking even in their yearly expenses.


E.)This was the second such NFA program to aid barley growers; the first one, 14 years ago, was started with high hopes, but did little to change their situation.


ALL THE BEST EVRYONE..HOPE U ALL GET IT RIGHT...



Hi all,
Are there obfuscators in GMAT tutors?
are there those who deliberately try to teach the students by giving them wrong lessons?
I dont get how Magoosh or whatever could say that the question above has C as an answer.
the paradox was that an improved yield did not improve economic situation.
then an option that says that worms eat the plant when they are young becomes the right answer...was the question, "WHICH OPTION DESTROYS THE FURTHER INFORMATION PROVIDED?"
:( :?: :problem: :no :no
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 319
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 03:34
DmitryFarber wrote:
C is definitely the right answer. We're looking for some new information that could explain why the plan didn't help. If the special mix has a negative effect aside from the positive one, that could explain the problem. This doesn't require us to assume anything. Clearly, if it worked well under laboratory conditions, either the harmful bacteria was not present (entirely plausible) or something else in the laboratory conditions kept it from being a problem. In a CR problem, we don't even need to get into all that, and we certainly don't want to question the plausibility of this happening. We simply accept the given premises (the mix worked in the lab, everyone used it, but no one is better off financially). Once we accept all that, we just look for some reason for the continued trouble--the right answer could have been any source of financial trouble: invaders from another galaxy ate all the barley, every single barley grower was robbed by a team of hackers . . . it really doesn't matter what it is. We just need to know why the plan didn't leave the growers better off.

A, B, and E all require tremendous assumptions on our part. Is it bad not to use other fertilizer, or to have the mix sit in a truck for days? Perhaps, but we don't know, so it's impossible to say if this information makes any difference. D expands on what we already know--the barley growers were in financial trouble--but it does nothing to help us understand why they are no better off now that the plan has been put into action.


YOUR EXPLANATIONS ARE GREAT. C destroys the conclusion that the yield got improved in real life. now there are many questions like this in gmat that lets us make some assumptions. why is this one different all of a sudden?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1356
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 12:53
2
Nez, it's true that GMAT questions can vary slightly in the amount of real-world knowledge or common sense we have to apply to them. However, incorrect answers will usually require us to add something that simply isn't known, or to construct a whole elaborate narrative that may or may not be true. When in doubt, eliminate the most outrageous answers and then take another look at the remaining choices. If one answer seems to work but has one element that you don't feel 100% about, that should be the right choice.

Then, when you review, take the time to verify why each choice is right or wrong. If you find that you missed a problem, accept that there is something you overlooked. Don't give in to your initial instinct to say "The world has gone crazy! Everyone else is wrong!" (I know all about that.) Rather, take extra care to understand the reasoning behind the correct choice as well as the reasons to eliminate the answer you chose.
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 319
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2016, 14:22
DmitryFarber wrote:
Nez, it's true that GMAT questions can vary slightly in the amount of real-world knowledge or common sense we have to apply to them. However, incorrect answers will usually require us to add something that simply isn't known, or to construct a whole elaborate narrative that may or may not be true. When in doubt, eliminate the most outrageous answers and then take another look at the remaining choices. If one answer seems to work but has one element that you don't feel 100% about, that should be the right choice.

Then, when you review, take the time to verify why each choice is right or wrong. If you find that you missed a problem, accept that there is something you overlooked. Don't give in to your initial instinct to say "The world has gone crazy! Everyone else is wrong!" (I know all about that.) Rather, take extra care to understand the reasoning behind the correct choice as well as the reasons to eliminate the answer you chose.


Thanks Mr Farber
It's a shame I missed something.. a word (laboratory)
I saw it in the afternoon after your comment.
But was too embarrassed to acknowledge.
The miss was a blessing in disguise.
I learnt something deep.
And it's in my error log.
"the lab effect" which limits the variables affecting the phenomenon under test.
Thanks again, DmitryFarber. Awesome name that.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2017
Posts: 193
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 18:21
If the material added to the barley fields included an enzyme that multiplied the growth of a bacteria that fed on the barley, that would explain how something involved in the plan itself had the counteractive effect of inhibiting the success of the barley plants, which in turn would explain why the barley didn't grow and why the barley growers were no better off as a result of this plan.

Hence C
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1562
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 16:20

Official Explanation


The scenario presents us with a paradox. Both the plan and the further information seem to suggest reasons that the barley crop would have taken off, giving tremendous economic benefit to the barley growers, but the "results" section tells us this didn't happen. We need some further piece of information that would explain why, despite all the apparently favorable conditions, the barley didn't grow.

(C) is the credited answer. If the material added to the barley fields included an enzyme that multiplied the growth of a bacteria that fed on the barley, that would explain how something involved in the plan itself had the counteractive effect of inhibiting the success of the barley plants, which in turn would explain why the barley didn't grow and why the barley growers were no better off as a result of this plan.

(A) if anything would make us expect that the plan would have been a success, so it certainly doesn't explain why it wasn't successful.

(B) is irrelevant: the fertilizer & enzyme mix is sent in autumn to be used in the spring. That's a delay of 4-5 months, so the extra 4-5 days the truck takes will make no difference.

(D) underscores the nature of the problem the NFA was trying to solve --- yes, it was a big problem. Unfortunately, this doesn't at all explain why the plan didn't work. The mix sent to the farmers was free, so there were no additional expenses for the farmers associated with this plan. Therefore, the economic standing of the farmers has no bearing on whether the barley would grow.

(E) is an argument by analogy. Fourteen years ago, the NFA had a plan that didn't work, so that's why this plan didn't work. This is a very weak attempt at explanation. There is absolutely no guarantee that whatever caused the failure of the plan 14 years ago had any influence on the implementation of the current plan.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I chose answer choice D, and I don't understand why C is the best option. Can you explain a bit more?

A: We are told that this special mix "had been stunningly
successful in multiplying the yield of barley in laboratory
conditions." Therefore, it is reasonable for us to assume that the mix
should increase the yield of barley in the field, unless we are
told other information that would contradict it. It would therefore be
unreasonable for us to assume that the special mix would not increase
the yield at all, again unless we are told some other piece of information.

The reason C is the best answer choice here is somewhat subtle, but the reason D is incorrect is pretty straightforward, so let's start with D and then return to C.

So in this question, we're being asked which answer choice best
explains the paradox we're given. The paradox is that, even though the
barley farmers all received and used the fertilizer given to them by the
NFA, and even though that fertilizer was very successful in multiplying
barley yields in the lab, for some reason "most barley growers reported little change in their economic status over this two year period."

In other words, we are being asked to select the answer choice that best explains why the barley growers' economic situation didn't improve. So, that's the criteria we need to use when evaluating each of the answer choices we're given.

So let's look at D:

"This program was implemented at a time when more than
half of barley growers nationwide were reported barely breaking even in their yearly expenses."

This might sound like it a possible reason because it might seem like the fertilizer could have played some role in causing this economic hardship among the barley growers.

However, the "Results" have already told us that there was little change in the farmers' economic status during this time period:

"Most barley growers reported little change in their economic status over this two year period."

And because the economic status did not significantly change
during this period, we can therefore confidently rule out D.

So now let's look at why C is correct. Here's C:

"Some of the enzymes in the special mix multiply the growth of a bacteria that feeds on the young barley plants."

Here we are given some new information to work with.
And the new information we're given is that some enzymes in the
fertilizer cause a bacteria to multiply that likes to eat barley plants. This could certainly be the reason that explains the paradox.

In other words, we are told in the passage only that the fertilizer is successful in the lab in multiplying the barley yield. But we are NOT told whether the fertilizer also multiplies something else. But in choice C, we ARE told that the fertilizer multiples something else. And that something else is a bacteria that would directly counteract the fertilizer's benefits, therefore producing a more neutral overall (or net) effect on the barley yield for the farmers.

Q: If the answer is C, then how-come the lab testing gave stunning result? Shouldn't this show up on the lab test?

A: The key here is thinking about the difference between laboratory conditions and real world conditions. In a laboratory, everything is likely clean, sterile, and controlled. Therefore, there is a good chance that a bacteria that is common on actual farms is not in the laboratory. Therefore, there is actually a good chance that results will differ between a laboratory and the real world! Just because a certain outcome occurs in one environment, does not mean that the same outcome will occur in all environments: we cannot guarantee the same growth conditions.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 16:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The National Farm Administration (NFA) has been concerned ov

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.