It is currently 25 Feb 2018, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 17:22
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
--> modifier issue.

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
--> awkward.

(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.
-->wordy and awkward.

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.
--> awkward.

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge
The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 22:49
Hi Experts,

I have a question on verb tense in choice C. In some of the posts here, it says that "writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great " -- use of this participle phrase make it seem like the nephew is still writing. Could you tell me how we check tenses in the present participle phrases? My understanding is that if present participle comes with a helping verb then it means it's a present continuous tense, but if it doesn't (example in this question), how do we determine when its usage is correct and when it's not? Thank you!

GMATNinja, sayantanc2k

Thanks much!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 04:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sdlife wrote:
Hi Experts,

I have a question on verb tense in choice C. In some of the posts here, it says that "writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great " -- use of this participle phrase make it seem like the nephew is still writing. Could you tell me how we check tenses in the present participle phrases? My understanding is that if present participle comes with a helping verb then it means it's a present continuous tense, but if it doesn't (example in this question), how do we determine when its usage is correct and when it's not? Thank you!

GMATNinja, sayantanc2k

Thanks much!

The present participle generally takes up the tense of the main verb of the sentence:

Looking at the site, I could say that something was wrong... (looking occured in past)
Looking at the sun, I can determine direction... (looking occurs in present)
Looking at your peer review, I shall decide whether to promote you. (looking will happen in future).

There is a special type of participle called perfect participle - having + perfect. This form is used to depict that something occured in past AFTER completion of the event in perfect participle.

Having eaten the snacks, we left for the station... (leaving for station ocuured AFTER eating occured- compare with the use of past perfect)
Re: The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2018, 04:49

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap