It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 10:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 384 [0], given: 11

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)
The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 05:59
The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally effective in treating various forms of depression, although patients on the newer drug may have slightly fewer side effects. Thus, revenue from the sale of the new drug is going to far exceed the revenue from the sale of the old drug.

All of the following statements weaken the conclusion of the argument above, EXCEPT:

(A) Elavil is also used as a powerful anti-emetic medicine.
(B) The Drug Control Authorities in six states have refused to allow the sale of Prozac till some more tests are carried out.
(C) Some side effects of Elavil are common to Prozac as well.
(D) Prozac is not recommended as an anti-depressant for diabetics and heart patients.
(E) The unit sale price of Elavil is higher than that of Prozac.

Am not clear with the explanations provided hence, reopening this post..

IMO . E strengthens the conclusion. C is neutral and the rest weaken, since this is all weaken except question went for the one that strengthens. Please clarify why E os incorrect here

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Re: The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 06:43
Will vote for C

Question : ALL Weaken : EXCEPT

Conclusion: revenue from sale of new drug(Prozac) exceed revenue from sale of old drug(Elavil)

P1 - both drugs equally effective
P2 - Prozac slightly few side effects

--> Weaken the conclucion (Elavil has some additional feature that is important and hence the sale of Elavil can be more - hence more revenue for old drug)

(B) The Drug Control Authorities in six states have refused to allow the sale of Prozac till some more tests are carried out.
--> Clear Weakens the conclusion (Claerly shows the ban on sale = loss of revenue)

--> No effect on conclusion (keep is a side)

(D) Prozac is not recommended as an anti-depressant for diabetics and heart patients.
--> Can weaken the conclusion

--> If unit sale price of Elavil is hight we can argue that revenue from Elavil is higher then Prozac
example: Elavil per unit profit might be : $2 compared to Prozac unit profile of 5 cent clearly the revenue from Elvial can be more hence weaken the conclusion

So ans should be C

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Operations (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 22:12
Hi there is an assumption you are making in E, if the proces of the older drug is higher and ot has more side effects, naturally a customer will go for the new drug - Cheaperand Better ! so vols sold for elavil should go down and thus profits.. this strngthens

kuttingchai wrote:
Will vote for C

Question : ALL Weaken : EXCEPT

Conclusion: revenue from sale of new drug(Prozac) exceed revenue from sale of old drug(Elavil)

P1 - both drugs equally effective
P2 - Prozac slightly few side effects

--> Weaken the conclucion (Elavil has some additional feature that is important and hence the sale of Elavil can be more - hence more revenue for old drug)

--> Clear Weakens the conclusion (Claerly shows the ban on sale = loss of revenue)

--> No effect on conclusion (keep is a side)

--> Can weaken the conclusion

--> If unit sale price of Elavil is hight we can argue that revenue from Elavil is higher then Prozac
example: Elavil per unit profit might be : $2 compared to Prozac unit profile of 5 cent clearly the revenue from Elvial can be more hence weaken the conclusion

So ans should be C

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 205 [1], given: 31

Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2012, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Hi there is an assumption you are making in E, if the proces of the older drug is higher and ot has more side effects, naturally a customer will go for the new drug - Cheaperand Better ! so vols sold for elavil should go down and thus profits.. this strngthens

kuttingchai wrote:

So ans should be C

E involves only assumption, if you assume E can strengthen and if you assume E can weaken. Its not the airtight option. Now surfing through the options C makes more airtight statement how much one assumes C can never weaken. It has already been mentioned in argument that new one has less side effects than older one.
okay suppose 10 and 80 respectively. out of these side effects even if 7-8 are same then that doesnt alters anything in the conclusion. Its basically neutral and hence is the correct airtight option.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Kudos [?]: 205 [1], given: 31

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2013, 14:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2013, 00:17

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 08:48

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 541 [2], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally effective in treating various forms of depression, although patients on the newer drug may have slightly fewer side effects. Thus, revenue from the sale of the new drug is going to far exceed the revenue from the sale of the old drug.

All of the following statements weaken the conclusion of the argument above, EXCEPT:

To weaken the conclusion would be to find reasons why Prozac revenue would be lower or why Elavil revenue would be higher.

(A) Elavil is also used as a powerful anti-emetic medicine. This other use of Elavil might give it an advantage over Prozac and increase its sales.
In states where Prozac sales are prohibited, Elavil would be sold.
(C) Some side effects of Elavil are common to Prozac as well. From the stimulus we know that they're similar in efficacy and only differ in side effects. If Elavil's side effects are common to Prozac's, it presents no advantage over Prozac. Moreover, the stimulus says that the side effects of Prozac are fewer, thus giving it a potentially greater advantage over Elavil (strengthening the argument).
(D) Prozac is not recommended as an anti-depressant for diabetics and heart patients. Prozac would be a health hazard for some, thus Elavil would be sold.
(E) The unit sale price of Elavil is higher than that of Prozac. A higher price could generate greater revenue than Prozac.

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 541 [2], given: 23

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2016, 23:15

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 431 [1], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 07:55
This post received
KUDOS
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Am not clear with the explanations provided hence, reopening this post..

IMO . E strengthens the conclusion. C is neutral and the rest weaken, since this is all weaken excpet question went for the one that strengthens. Please clarify why E os incorrect here

oh god..please...please...do not put anything in question stem that might lead to the answer choice...it just spoils the practice for everyone else...
souvik101990, can you pls hide the author's comments in a spoiler???
thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 431 [1], given: 200

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 679

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 13:27
I have a doubt with C - with the wording and interpretation and would like some help with that. Queries highlighted below:
The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally effective in treating various forms of depression, although patients on the newer drug may have slightly fewer side effects. Thus, revenue from the sale of the new drug (PROZAC) is going to far exceed the revenue from the sale of the old drug.

(A) Elavil is also used as a powerful anti-emetic medicine. - Basically it says Elavil has two uses - so ppl maybe inclined to buy this more/ or is generally irrelevant to increased sale of Prozac. SO it can fall into the 'except' category
(C) Some side effects of Elavil are common to Prozac as well.So it says the side effects are COMMON with Prozac. In argument above it says P will have LESSER side effects. So by reading 'common' it can be that there are an overlap of side effects but are still fewer. Ex. P has 4 side effects and E has 8 but those 4 of P overlap with E. How is this a non - weakener/ irrelevant then?

:( Would like some guidance

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 679

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 03:00
hemanthp wrote:

I want to discuss so don't just type in your answer (that is why I have provided the OA). Do explain.

can anyone explain which one is better between C and E

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 40

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 06:28
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Re: The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2017, 06:28

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

The new drug Prozac and the old one Elavil are about equally

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap