GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

The new e-waste salvage company collects electronic waste

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
The new e-waste salvage company collects electronic waste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 22:34
manishtank1988 wrote:
suramya26
I don't completely see your point but in GMAT we only have to choose from given options. Any sentence can be made better or ideal using some structure which may not be given in options. We don't/shouldn't count them. I agree that if the sentence would have been:
[clause 1,and clause 2]: The new “e-waste” salvage company collects electronic waste items, such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players, as trash and it transports them to state facilities for recycling.
This sentence is clear and easy to understand.
But as discussed above and presented on e-gmat's links: questions is trying to test our understanding of different structure:
Noun, noun-modifier, that clause.
Here generally comma+that clause doesn't sit well but as Marcab mentioned if the modifer between the comma-splice is NON-ESSENTIAL that directly corresponds to noun before the modifier (this structure is being tested here!!!).

Finally, i would add that comma+co-ordinating conjunction (such as FANBOY - for/and/nor/but/or/yet) are used to connect INDEPENDENT clause and not just any clause. So in your structure clause1 and clause2 both should be IC.

Hope this helps in clarifying certain doubts.
If you find this post helpful, please kudo :)

Thanks a lot..Friend..for this .It really helped a lot..

I agree that B seems to be the best of the 5 options... But it will be of great help if you could clarify this small doubt of mine...

By saying that clause1, modifier, and clause 2
I meant that option B should have been players, that have been discarded as trash, and transports

Yes I agree that that has here been used as a non essential modifier
But just see the following sentence

The boy, who is standing at the door, is my brother

Here who is a non essential modifier. In this sentence the Noun modifier who is standing at the door is placed separately BETWEEN 2 COMMAS AND CAN BE EASILY DISTINGUISHED IN THE WHOLE SENTENCE. Also we now get the sense of the sentence even by skipping this clause and reading the remaining sentence as The boy is my brother

Furthermore, In the question that have been discarded as trash is a noun modifier that actually modifies the players
And I MAY BE WRONG HERE but if we dont put comma (,) before and the noun modifier that have been discarded as trash appears to mix with the main sentence and

The whole sentence would look like
The new “e-waste” salvage company collects electronic waste items, such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players, that have been discarded as trash and transports them to state facilities for recycling.

Now we could not differentiate between the 2 main identities which we are talking about i.e. the collection of electronic wastes and transporting them.

Because the noun modifier which was earlier distinctive and clear is no more clear as it was....

I know there may be flaws in my approach and understanding of the rule here. But I hope you help me in getting this concept clear

I hope you get my doubt now..

PLEASE HELP ME...
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The new e-waste salvage company collects electronic waste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 08:39
suramya26 wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:
suramya26
I don't completely see your point but in GMAT we only have to choose from given options. Any sentence can be made better or ideal using some structure which may not be given in options. We don't/shouldn't count them. I agree that if the sentence would have been:
[clause 1,and clause 2]: The new “e-waste” salvage company collects electronic waste items, such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players, as trash and it transports them to state facilities for recycling.
This sentence is clear and easy to understand.
But as discussed above and presented on e-gmat's links: questions is trying to test our understanding of different structure:
Noun, noun-modifier, that clause.
Here generally comma+that clause doesn't sit well but as Marcab mentioned if the modifer between the comma-splice is NON-ESSENTIAL that directly corresponds to noun before the modifier (this structure is being tested here!!!).

Finally, i would add that comma+co-ordinating conjunction (such as FANBOY - for/and/nor/but/or/yet) are used to connect INDEPENDENT clause and not just any clause. So in your structure clause1 and clause2 both should be IC.

Hope this helps in clarifying certain doubts.
If you find this post helpful, please kudo :)

Thanks a lot..Friend..for this .It really helped a lot..

I agree that B seems to be the best of the 5 options... But it will be of great help if you could clarify this small doubt of mine...

By saying that clause1, modifier, and clause 2
I meant that option B should have been players, that have been discarded as trash, and transports

Yes I agree that that has here been used as a non essential modifier
But just see the following sentence

The boy, who is standing at the door, is my brother

Here who is a non essential modifier. In this sentence the Noun modifier who is standing at the door is placed separately BETWEEN 2 COMMAS AND CAN BE EASILY DISTINGUISHED IN THE WHOLE SENTENCE. Also we now get the sense of the sentence even by skipping this clause and reading the remaining sentence as The boy is my brother

Furthermore, In the question that have been discarded as trash is a noun modifier that actually modifies the players
And I MAY BE WRONG HERE but if we dont put comma (,) before and the noun modifier that have been discarded as trash appears to mix with the main sentence and

The whole sentence would look like
The new “e-waste” salvage company collects electronic waste items, such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players, that have been discarded as trash and transports them to state facilities for recycling.

Now we could not differentiate between the 2 main identities which we are talking about i.e. the collection of electronic wastes and transporting them.

Because the noun modifier which was earlier distinctive and clear is no more clear as it was....

I know there may be flaws in my approach and understanding of the rule here. But I hope you help me in getting this concept clear

I hope you get my doubt now..

PLEASE HELP ME...

The construction of option B is NOT Clause 1 , AND Clause 2.

If there were two clauses, then the construction would be:
The salvage company collects, and IT transports. ( 2 clauses are added by "and", comma required)

There is only one clause with 2 parallel verbs:
The salvage company collects and transports. (2 verbs are added by "and", no comma )

Add modifier 1: such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players (non-essential modifier)
Add modifier 2: that have been discarded as trash (essential modifier referring to "electronic waste items" - this is an exception of the modifier touch rule).

So the complete construction is:
Subject + verb1 + object +, non-essential modifier, + essential modifier referring to object + verb 2.

In case your doubt is not cleared, please post again.
Manager
Manager
B
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 23:40
I see people's explanation of parallelism for "collects" & "transports", but my question what is the plural subject here to know regardless that it should be "transports" (e.g., in case I missed the parallelism mentioned above)

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 22:36
nishtil wrote:
The new “e-waste” salvage company collects electronic waste items, such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players, discarding them as trash, to transport them to state facilities for recycling.

A players, discarding them as trash, to transport
B players, that have been discarded as trash and transports
C players that are discarded, as trash in order to transport
D players, which have been discarded as trash and transport
E players, that are discarded as trash and transport

.... Please provide detail explaination....

A very good question
Imo B
A contains ambiguous them and Ing modifier is wrongly modifying the preceding phrase .
C is redundant and wordy as company collects waste item .Waste items are discarded.
D use which is wrong and verb has to be singular
E plural verb is used instead of singular verb

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 05:33
mdacosta wrote:
I see people's explanation of parallelism for "collects" & "transports", but my question what is the plural subject here to know regardless that it should be "transports" (e.g., in case I missed the parallelism mentioned above)

Not plural subject, but singular - "collects" & "transports" are singular verbs - the subject of these verbs is "The new “e-waste" salvage company ".
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 05:45
I chose B because it was the only option that said TRANSPORTS as oppose to transport. It should be transports because the company is singular
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2018, 22:06
nishtil wrote:
The new “e-waste” salvage company collects electronic waste items, such as old cellular telephones and broken personal music players, discarding them as trash, to transport them to state facilities for recycling.

A players, discarding them as trash, to transport
B players, that have been discarded as trash and transports
C players that are discarded, as trash in order to transport
D players, which have been discarded as trash and transport
E players, that are discarded as trash and transport

.... Please provide detail explaination....

Please correct my thought process if you believe I made a mistake:

A) Them could refer to "telephones", "music players" or "Waste items"
B) Correct
C) They do not collect "Waste items as trash". The items have been discarded as trash. Meaning is altered here
D) CD players are just an example of discarded trash, so the "which" here changes the meaning of the sentence
E) We need "transports" over "transport"
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Erasmus '20, NTU '20
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V25
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2018, 03:14
Only choice B has correct parallelism...'collects' and 'transports'
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The new e-waste salvage company collects electronic waste &nbs [#permalink] 08 Dec 2018, 03:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

The new e-waste salvage company collects electronic waste

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap