Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [78]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [21]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 946 [10]
Given Kudos: 206
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Re: The new government requires employers to inform an employee of their [#permalink]
Can help to advise when we can use "X require Y to do something" and "X require that Y to do something".
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The new government requires employers to inform an employee of their [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The new government requires employers to inform an employee of their legal right to holidays and overtime pay.

(A) employers to inform an employee of their - illogical - Pronoun their can refer to employers
(B) employers to inform employees that he has a - Pronoun he is singular but the nouns are plural
(C) employers to inform employees that there is a - Correct
(D) that employers inform an employee of their - illogical - Pronoun their can refer to employers
(E) that employers inform the employees that they have a - Pronoun ambiguity

GMATNinja , EMPOWERgmatRichC , sayantanc2k , daagh ,mikemcgarry , egmat and other experts -
Can we eliminate option E on pronoun ambiguity ?

Also , if we modify option B as below -
F . employers to inform employee that he has a
G. employers to inform employee that he or she has a
Will F be correct ? In my opinion G is correct .

Also , in option C is the usage of there is correct ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
The new government requires employers to inform an employee of their legal right to holidays and overtime pay.

(A) employers to inform an employee of their - illogical - Pronoun their can refer to employers
(B) employers to inform employees that he has a - Pronoun he is singular but the nouns are plural
(C) employers to inform employees that there is a - Correct
(D) that employers inform an employee of their - illogical - Pronoun their can refer to employers
(E) that employers inform the employees that they have a - Pronoun ambiguity

GMATNinja , EMPOWERgmatRichC , sayantanc2k , daagh ,mikemcgarry , egmat and other experts -
Can we eliminate option E on pronoun ambiguity ?

Also , if we modify option B as below -
F . employers to inform employee that he has a
G. employers to inform employee that he or she has a
Will F be correct ? In my opinion G is correct .

Also , in option C is the usage of there is correct ?

Query 1:
Not ambiguity, but wrong reference. By virtue of parallelsim "they" refers to "employers", but "they" should actually refer to "employees".

Query 2:
You can get the answer from this link:
https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2012 ... rsus-they/

Query 3:
Though gramatically correct, this option does not convey the meaning properly - it is not clear who has the right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
(A) employers to inform an employee of their
Use of plural pronoun THEIR for singular noun Employee is incorrect. Hence Incorrect
(B) employers to inform employees that he has a
Use of singular pronoun HE for plural noun Employees is incorrect. Hence Incorrect
(C) employers to inform employees that there is a
Best out of remaining questions. CORRECT
(D) that employers inform an employee of their
Use of plural pronoun THEIR for singular noun Employee is incorrect. Hence Incorrect
(E) that employers inform the employees that they have a
Antecedent of THEY is ambiguous. Hence Incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
vishalkumar4mba wrote:

C is best IMO
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618823 [3]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos