It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 36 [3], given: 23

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:54) correct 63% (01:00) wrong based on 703 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock; a feature that not only allows residents to lock and unlock the door without physical keys, but also may prevent them from entering the house during a power outage.

a) a feature that not only allows residents who lock and unlock the door without physical keys, but also may prevent
b) a feature allowing residents without a physical key to lock or unlock the door, but also possibly preventing
c) a feature allows residents locking or unlocking the door without physical keys, but also possibly preventing
d) this feature allows residents to lock and unlock the door without a physical key, but may also prevent
e) this feature not only allows residents without physical keys to lock or unlock the door, but also prevents

OA after discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Last edited by adg142000 on 18 Oct 2013, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 36 [3], given: 23

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3702 [1], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 00:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adg142000 wrote:
The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock; a feature that not only allows residents to lock and unlock the door without physical keys, but also may prevent them from entering the house during a power outage.

a) a feature that not only allows residents who lock and unlock the door without physical keys, but also may prevent
b) a feature allowing residents without a physical key to lock or unlock the door, but also possibly preventing
c) a feature allows residents locking or unlocking the door without physical keys, but also possibly preventing
d) this feature allows residents to lock and unlock the door without a physical key, but may also prevent
e) this feature not only allows residents without physical keys to lock or unlock the door, but also prevents

OA after discussion.

Choice A should be same as the underlined part of the sentence. Here, in choice A, lock is preceded by 'who' where as, in the underlined part of the sentence, lock is preceded by 'to'. So this creates confusion. Here I am assuming the wording of Choice A and posting my answer in light of that.

Answer should be D

A) INCORRECT :- The ideal structure is Not only x...... but also y......, in which you should have something concrete x that follows not only. In this choice who lock and unlock the door without physical keys is the relative clause modifying the noun residents. If we ignore this modifier we would left with a feature that not only allows residents....................., but also may prevent them................. Since there is nothing that describes what is not only, this structure does not make sense.

B) INCORRECT :- This choice has the modifier issue. without a physical key should logically modify the lock or unlock the door, but here, because of its wrong placement, it is modifying residents. Hence the sentence means that residents do not have the physical key. well we do not know this.

C) INCORRECT :- With the structure but also possibly preventing we are introducing hypothetical situation that feature may prevent residents from entering the house during powercuts. In hypothatical mood infinitive form of the verb preferred over gerund form.

D) CORRECT :- correct and concise structure.

E) INCORRECT :- Incorrect for the same reason cited at Choice B.

Hope that helps! :)

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3702 [1], given: 2420

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 01:27
a) a feature that not only allows residents who lock and unlock the door without physical keys, but also may prevent--- Not Only, But also is not parallel.
b) a feature allowing residents without a physical key to lock or unlock the door, but also possibly preventing--- Incorrect, Not only is missing in the sentence. Incorrect idiom.
c) a feature allows residents locking or unlocking the door without physical keys, but also possibly preventing--- Same as B
d) this feature allows residents to lock and unlock the door without a physical key, but may also prevent--- Correct. Although it does not use Not only, But also. But it is the best and most parallel answer choice.
e) this feature not only allows residents without physical keys to lock or unlock the door, but also prevents---- Changes meaning. The omission of may changes meaning.

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 570 Q46 V23
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 04:30
OA is indeed D as it has most concise structure as said :)

Help with Kudos if I add to your knowledge realm.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Schools: ISB '15 (S)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2013, 10:36
in the option D, the verb in the first part is ALLOWS (singular), whereas in the second part it is PREVENT & not PREVENTS. Can someone tell me, how does the addition of MAY affect the singular form of the verb PREVENTS

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 358

Schools: Wharton Exec '17
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2013, 08:02
I am not getting why option E is wrong?
Another doubt as laveen put it....Can anybody please clarify...
Thanx in advance.....

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 358

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P
Affiliations: GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 3702 [2], given: 2420

City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2013, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
srinjoy28 wrote:
I am not getting why option E is wrong?
Another doubt as laveen put it....Can anybody please clarify...
Thanx in advance.....

As for choice D, In the first phrase, the verb is in simple present tense, so we have to get the verb agree with subject (feature.....allows); however, in the second phrase, the verb is in future tense wherein may is functioning as an auxiliary verb. In this case the rules of subject verb agreement that we follow in simple present tense will not apply for this verb tense. i.e. Irrespective of Singular or Plural subject the verb will be in its simplest form.

feature allows residents...................................................., but feature may also prevent them.......................

In Choice E, As cited in my earlier response, incorrect placement of modifier with or without keys changes the meaning of the sentence.

Hope that helps!

Every Wednesday: Meet MBA Experts in Chat Room and Ask Your Most-Pressing MBA Admission Questions to them in a Live Chat.

Must Read Forum Topics Before You Kick Off Your MBA Application

New GMAT Club Decision Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Kudos [?]: 3702 [2], given: 2420

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 06:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 13:49
adg142000 wrote:

OA after discussion.

I concluded that the answer is D, ignoring A-C because those sentences could not stand alone...and in the use of the semi-colon, they have to be independent clauses? Am I correct in my thinking?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 36

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 03:08
ZaydenBond wrote:

I concluded that the answer is D, ignoring A-C because those sentences could not stand alone...and in the use of the semi-colon, they have to be independent clauses? Am I correct in my thinking?

I think we have to consider meaning of the sentence here:

Since author added semicolon in the stem , he is trying to add some additional information which should be a clause.
Author is trying to show an advantage of the new locking feature but also worried about a feature that may back fire on the users.
So there is a sense of transition in the mood

This is only explained by (D)

(E) Is also introducing a clause but it is giving a bunch of information stacked one after another rather than showing the intended transition in meaning

(C) can not be used because , when ; is used the following clause must be closely related to what has been discussed earlier.But the clause in (C) seems distracted from the context and is going on its own

(A) AND (B) are noun phrases that can not be used.

So (D) should be the answer !

The Mind ~ Muscle Connection
My GMAT Journey is Complete.Going to start the MBA in Information Management from 2016
Good Luck everyone.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 36

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [2], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2016, 04:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Quote:
The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock; a feature that not only allows residents to lock and unlock the door without physical keys but also may prevent them from entering the house during a power outage.

A semicolon should be followed by a free standing but related clause. One can dump the first two options simply on that grammar as what follow the semicolon are simple noun phrases and not verbed clauses. C is guilty of using unparallel symmetry around ‘but’.
E misuses the correlative conjunction ‘not only … ‘but also’ in its intent. Not only but also is used between two same direction phenomena with emphasis on the latter. It cannot be used between two paradoxical situations. E says a positive thing in the first arm but indicates a negative factor in the second. D is the best as many have pointed out for various other reasons.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [2], given: 363

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 07:11
What " this " is referring in this question ?

can it refers to a clause .

Thanks for your help and time .

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 141

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 03:44
E is incorrect for two reason:

Intent is saying although this feature -- good thing-- but --bad thing.
Not only , but also doesn't seem right here. because these two should be on the same side.

Second, may ___may prevent. Difference in meaning.

I have a question with sentence structure:
this feature allows X, but also Y.

Can we write a sentence with but also (without NOT ONLY)?

Narenn

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Re: The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2017, 03:44

The new house's front door is secured by an electronic lock

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap