It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:06

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large anima

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 8796 [5], given: 328

Re: The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large anima [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2012, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
First of all, here is the question with all answer choices.

The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be above 400,000 years old.

A. merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination from the examination of tools found in Germany, including
B. as mere scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include
C. as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes
D. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes
E. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

eybrj2 wrote:
Q1) Is it ok not to use "as" after than in the context of the sentence above?
(This is the reason that I picked C)

Q2) Does "from examining tools" have a problem?
If it have, what is it?

Answer to your first question: Yes, it is alright to not repeat “as” after “rather than” because it is implied or understood. “As” already appears once in the sentence. Another thing that we need to note in Choice C is parallelism. In the parallel list, the first entity is “hunters of large animals” and the second one is “meat scavengers”. Now, it is not always necessary for the entities in the parallel list to be absolutely parallel. However, in this case, it is possible. We can write “meat scavengers” as “scavengers of meat” that will make the entities absolutely parallel. So go for it.

Answer to your second question: Yes, “examining tools” have a little problem. Here “examining” is now an adjective that is modifying “tools”, suggesting that the “tools” are used for examining things. It no longer conveys that the new image has emerged from the examination of the tool.

Let’s take these sentences:
The smile of the baby is beautiful. (smile is beautiful)
The smiling baby is beautiful. (baby is beautiful)
So be careful of the change in the words in the original choice. They might change the meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 8796 [5], given: 328

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7597 [2], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)
Re: The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large anima [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2012, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The core problem in this issue is not about the use of the term ‘examining’, namely, whether it is an adjective or a gerund in the context.

Step1: The problem here is more about the use of the relative pronouns ‘which and that’ in B,C and D, in which the touch rule has been grossly flouted. In all the three cases, the implication is that Germany includes some tools, which is just meaningless. Eliminate all of them with a sleight of hand

Step 2: That said, between A and E, which use the participial ‘including’, to modify freely any fitting noun in the foregoing portion. E is better because it keeps the parallelism in ‘hunters and scavengers’ in tact rather than in ‘hunters and scavenging’

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7597 [2], given: 360

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 245 [4], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2012, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
We need has(sing verb) and not have so elimninate A,B

Couple of reasons to elimnate C,D

C-> uses "that" which as worded refers to Gemany the nearest noun

X RATHER THAN Y is the idiom

X->systematic hunters of large animals
Y->mere scavengers of meat

We dont need "as" again since it violates the idiomatic usage

D-> which refers to germany the nearest noun and changes the meaning

Hence E

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Kudos [?]: 245 [4], given: 56

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 245 [2], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2012, 22:10
This post received
KUDOS
parallel structure is one reason why (c) is worse than (d) or (e).

note that "rather than" is a one-part signal - i.e., unlike two-part constructions such as "both ... and" and "not only ... but also", it lacks a left-hand part indicating the beginning of the first parallel element. therefore, you can choose to start the first parallel element wherever you want - meaning that you can choose to include or exclude "as" at your convenience:

(c)
The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than as mere meat scavengers, has...
this parallelism is acceptable, but there are two undesirable things:
* "hunters OF large animals" isn't truly parallel to "meat scavengers"
* "meat scavengers" is awkward / unclear (you probably won't know this unless you're a native speaker of english and/or a writer)

(d)(e)
The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than mere scavengers of meat, has...
this is better parallelism (notice that "as" is excluded from the first part this time).
* note the EXACT parallelism between "hunters OF large animals" and "scavengers OF meat".

also, (c) implies, unambiguously (and absurdly), that germany itself "includes" 3 wooden spears.
(3 all the way!)

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Kudos [?]: 245 [2], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 178 [1], given: 21

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-12-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The new image of stonage people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

a) merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including
b) as merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include
c) as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes
d) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes
e) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

I would like to bring the attention of fellow club members to this question. Although a person with a good level of preparation can eliminate wrong answer choices and answer it but my question is about the usage of verb+ing modifier.

Q 1 : In above question what includes " three wooden spears that ....400,000 years old." In my view it must be the word " TOOLS"
Q 2 : Is it not true that verb + ing modifier modifies entire clause when preceded by a comma. How can correct answer be justified in above question ?

Kudos [?]: 178 [1], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 03:43
Can anybody please clarify the above doubt ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 05:18
psdeol wrote:
The new image of stonage people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

a) merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including
b) as merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include
c) as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes
d) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes
e) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

I would like to bring the attention of fellow club members to this question. Although a person with a good level of preparation can eliminate wrong answer choices and answer it but my question is about the usage of verb+ing modifier.

Q 1 : In above question what includes " three wooden spears that ....400,000 years old." In my view it must be the word " TOOLS"
Q 2 : Is it not true that verb + ing modifier modifies entire clause when preceded by a comma. How can correct answer be justified in above question ?

Just focus on parallelism first - hunter and scavengers - A, B out
Rather than - idiom - C out (rather than as)
Between D and E - which modifies Germany - D out
--> the correct answer is E

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 05:38
craky wrote:
psdeol wrote:

Just focus on parallelism first - hunter and scavengers - A, B out
Rather than - idiom - C out (rather than as)
Between D and E - which modifies Germany - D out
--> the correct answer is E

Hi Craky
Thanks for the explanation.
Are you sure the form image as hunters rather than as scavenger is wrong? If one has used as x first then for the sake of parallelism shouldn't one use as y? Perhaps I am wrong here.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 06:17
Just focus on parallelism first - hunter and scavengers - A, B out [ AGREED ]
Rather than - idiom - C out (rather than as) [ AGREED ]
Between D and E - which modifies Germany - D out [ I BEG TO DISAGREE HERE ]
--> the correct answer is E[/quote]
if "which" modifies Germany [ incoreect ] [AGREED ]
what does +ing modifier modify. By rule it should modify the subject + verb of preceding clause ..........in this case " The new image ...has emerged " .......the meaning implied Image .... emerged ..including wooden spears............[ KINDLY CLARIFY THIS POINT ]. I think this usage is incorrect, at the same time I believe e) is the best choice.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 47

Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2012, 12:05
psdeol wrote:

a) merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including ---new image as hunters rather than ...what? just think... merely scavanging is incorrect since as can compare same things. and this is not even parallel
b) as merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include ---same as A--as mere SCAVANGING...whr's the tense and where is the parallelism? OUT
c) as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes --- germany that includes what...tools? meaning of the sentence is disrupted..we want to say that the tools found include XYZ... not germany includes tool..---OUT
d) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes --which modifies germany which again changes the meaning of the sentence--OUT
e) mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including CORRECT ---mere scavengers of meat is parallel to hunters-- also including modifies TOOlS here and not germany

IMO E...For reasons mentioned above in the quote.
Which after a comma always (ALWAYS) modifies and refers to the thing just before the comma.... remember this rule in GMAT.
I hope i answer both of your questions..

Cheers!!

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 47

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 03:45
Dear I got the answer correct. I know how to use which and that. My question is :-

How does " including...." modify TOOLS in option (e). It should odify subject + verb of preceding clause.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 10:28
psdeol wrote:
Dear I got the answer correct. I know how to use which and that. My question is :-

How does " including...." modify TOOLS in option (e). It should odify subject + verb of preceding clause.

COMMA INCLUDING is an exemption – used to modify only the noun that precedes it! Same rule applies to "resulting from", which always modifies the preceding noun!

There are other exception such as this that might look the verbing but they aren't....

Side note :below sentence is wrong.

Last evening, I tried 3 types of whiskey, including single malt, bourbon and southern comfort

HTH

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur

Kudos [?]: 667 [1], given: 80

GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Subject/Verb agreement: subject-verb-agreement-159965.html
Questions on Subject/Verb agreement to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=131

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Kudos [?]: 667 [1], given: 80

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1810 [2], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
17. The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

A merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including --- S-V ERROR The image - have (X)
B. as mere scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include --- like A
C. as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes --- that refers to Germany as verb includes is singular.
D. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes --- Like C
E. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including --- I dont know what kind of modifier is this but logically its describing tools.. is it an absolute phrase ? i am not sure.. but this option is best through POE.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1810 [2], given: 229

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 00:07
In the Question
The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be above 400,000 years old.

A. merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination from the examination of tools found in Germany, including
B. as mere scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include
C. as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes
D. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes
E. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

In the Question there is parallelism of comparison
hunters of large animals vs scavenging for meat - - - which is not parallel.
So Options A, B and C are out

We have D and E in these options we have "which includes" and "including"

I find option D to be correct because in this question we are speaking about those 3 Wooden tools found in germany because of which the Whole idea got changed.

If the answer choice is E) then the three wooden tools were one of the thing that changed the idea.

Please throw some light on this.

Thanks in advance,
Rrsnathan.

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2014, 02:07
Reg. "I find option D to be correct because in this question we are speaking about those 3 Wooden tools found in germany because of which the Whole idea got changed."

If we are talking about those tools (plural), then "includes" should have been "include".

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 4

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 142

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 11:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
study wrote:
The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including there wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

A. merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

B. as mere meat scavengers, has emerged from examining tools found in Germany that includes

C. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, which includes

D. mere scavengers of meat, has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

E. missing - incorrect choice anyways

came across this one with re-arranged choices.

The excluded option here is:

as merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from examining tools found in Germany, which include

The new image ... has .... - correct s-v match - A and E out
B and C - incorrectly modify Germany. Note the singular verb 'includes' - cannot modify plural 'tools'

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 142

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2014, 03:20
eybrj2 wrote:
17. The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

A merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

Would D option be correct if it would have been which include instead of includes?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 245

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 06:04
[quote="eybrj2"]17. The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large animals, rather than merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears that archaeologists believe to be about 400,000 years old.

A merely scavenging for meat, have emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including

in option D, If which is used to refer tp "the examination of tools " which would be singular then i think the usage of includes would be correct.
can someone please explain this?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 245

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1810 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 06:43
Refer this video: to understand use of including
including is a special participle modifier.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1810 [0], given: 229

Re: The new image of Stone Age people as systematic hunters of large anima   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 06:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 85 posts ]