Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [39]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32844 [3]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allow [#permalink]
Kudos
Frankly speaking this question for me is one of a few in SC, that I have not ruled options out, but have seen atin option C and have decided, that it is what needed.
Because through process and at a group of events seem to hold somehow the parallel structure.
Would like to see comments.

The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allows political parties to raise money only through a process with high standards in contrast to a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned.

A) process with high standards in contrast to
B) process that has been standardized highly and not within - so long and bad
C) highly standardized process rather than at- good
D) high process of standards instead of - change of meaning, not high process, but high standarts
E) process of high standards rather than that of - it is bad, because group of events - it is a process itself; we do not need here one more process or that of
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Re: The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allow [#permalink]
Kudos
'Instead of' of is a complex preposition and must be followed by only noun

'Rather Than' is a conjunction and can be followed by any thing.

Be generous with KUDOS!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sunny91 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I will be obliged if you kindly explain the parallelism construction in the option c- through X rather than at Y

c) allows political parties to raise money only through a highly standardized process rather than at a group of fundraising events

Dear sunny91,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Point #1: Parallelism is NOT a grammatical construction. Parallelism is a logical construction, and the matching grammar simply serves to mirror the logic.

Point #2: Parallelism does NOT demand a exact pattern of matching down to every detail.
Students routinely think mechanically about parallelism, as if each detail of one branch has to match, word for word, what's in the other branch. The GMAT SC loves to write questions that punish mechanical thinking about parallelism.
In fact, there can be all kinds of differences in the two branches, as long as the logical pattern of matching is clear. For example, verbs in parallel do not have to be in the same tense.

You can never simply read a GMAT SC sentence literally, at the word-for-word level, and determine whether the parallelism is correct. To understand parallelism, you always have to think about the logic: what ideas are being matched, and do the words reflect this?

Ultimately, the GMAT SC is not simply a test of grammar. On the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric are all equally important--in a well-constructed sentence, those three work together to produce meaning. That's what the GMAT SC tests. Folks who focus purely on grammar miss most of what the GMAT SC is about.

Think about these two sentences.
1) Political parties raise money only through a highly standardized process.
2) Political parties do not raise money at a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned.
Both of those are 100% correct. The idioms are correct. Logically, they discuss two opposite scenarios--regulated vs. unregulated fund-raising. Thus, it makes perfect sense to put them in parallel:
3) Political parties raise money only through a highly standardized process, rather than at a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned.
Of course, as always, the common words are dropped in the second branch of the parallelism. See:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

The two parallel pieces in #3 begin with two different preposition. This is precisely the sort of detail that seems a big problem to people with a shallow mechanical understanding of parallelism and is recognized as a total non-issue by people who really understand what parallelism is.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
MOHIT1402 wrote:
The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allows political parties to raise money only through a process with high standards in contrast to a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned.

B) process that has been standardized highly and not within
C) highly standardized process rather than at
D) high process of standards instead of
E) process of high standards rather than that of

proper comparison should be done...
"Process" with another "process"

C does it best...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM

it seems as if process is standard compared to a group : non sensical

process is not within group ? : non sensical

Correct comparison process and (process) AT groups ;

wrong comparison : process of standard and group

meaning issue : rather than that of --> rather than process of : non sensical

pls comment
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
MOHIT1402 wrote:

As per my understanding process should be compared to a process.

A) process with high standards in contrast to -- a process compared to a group of fundraising events, therefore, non sensical
B) process that has been standardized highly and not within -- 1. it should be highly standardized instead of standardized highly 2. process not within a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned -- NON SENSICAL meaning. As process cannot be within a group of events.
C) highly standardized process rather than at --
D) high process of standards instead of -- high process of standards should be process of high standards, otherwise the comparison is not clear.
E) process of high standards rather than that of -- process of high standards rather than process of a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned. that of is making the sentence sound non-sensical.

Can someone elaborate more on this question? Also, on the structure of the CORRECT answer, as I came to the correct answer by POE

mikemcgarry

Originally posted by aceGMAT21 on 20 Oct 2017, 14:15.
Last edited by aceGMAT21 on 22 Oct 2017, 01:46, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MOHIT1402 wrote:

The answer is C
A incorrect comparison we can contrast only two process not a process and an event
B not within is wrong the sentence does not have correct comparison .=
C correct comparison and the choice is very elegant
D wrong it should be process of high standards.
E again comparison is wrong
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi daagh , GMATNinja

I have analysed this question but i think i am missing some points here can you please analyse this question and validate my analysis .

Regards,
Arvind
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Expert Reply
aceGMAT21 wrote:
Can someone elaborate more on this question? Also, on the structure of the CORRECT answer, as I came to the correct answer by POE

mikemcgarry

Dear aceGMAT21,

My friend, with all due respect, I have absolutely no idea what your question is. I have absolutely no idea what you understand and where you are confused. As you may have heard me say before, one of the underestimated skills of a successful student is the art of asking excellent questions. See
Asking Excellent Questions
I really would love to be able to address what confuses you, but I would need you to make that clear. That blog will explain more of what I mean. If you ask a high-quality question about this SC problem, then I will be happy to respond.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:

mikemcgarry

Dear aceGMAT21,

My friend, with all due respect, I have absolutely no idea what your question is. I have absolutely no idea what you understand and where you are confused. As you may have heard me say before, one of the underestimated skills of a successful student is the art of asking excellent questions. See
Asking Excellent Questions
I really would love to be able to address what confuses you, but I would need you to make that clear. That blog will explain more of what I mean. If you ask a high-quality question about this SC problem, then I will be happy to respond.

Yes, sure mikemcgarry! :) Sorry for the confusion.

Can you please review my comments on the wrong answer choices and correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning for any of those choices. Also, I came to the correct answer by POE. So, can you please explain the correct answer?

Also, thanks for replying and listening to my queries! :)

Thanks.
-Varun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
MOHIT1402 wrote:

A) process with high standards in contrast to -- a process compared to a group of fundraising events, therefore, non sensical
B) process that has been standardized highly and not within -- 1. it should be highly standardized instead of standardized highly 2. process not within a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned -- NON SENSICAL meaning. As process cannot be within a group of events.
D) high process of standards instead of -- high process of standards should be process of high standards, otherwise the comparison is not clear.
E) process of high standards rather than that of -- process of high standards rather than process of a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned. that of is making the sentence sound non-sensical.

aceGMAT21 wrote:

Can you please review my comments on the wrong answer choices and correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning for any of those choices. Also, I came to the correct answer by POE. So, can you please explain the correct answer?

Thanks.
-Varun

Dear aceGMAT21 Varun,

Now, I see what you have done. My friend, you have presented this in one of the most confusing ways possible. For starters, you have included all your thoughts in the quote box for MOHIT1402, which makes the words appears as his thoughts rather than yours. If you are quoting another user, please do not add your own thoughts to the quote box of the other user. His words should be his and your words should yours. Also, as a general rule, please don't bold your own words when you simply are asking for help: that makes it sound as if you are shouting for help. Finally, while your question is much clearer now, I will say that you are still a long way off from understanding the spirit of what an "excellent question" is and how that mindset could advance your learning. Once again, that blog article has information that, if integrated, could make you a much more effective student.

Let's look at the choices.

(A) process with high standards in contrast to = this is awkward; also, it's unclear whether we are comparing the "process" to something else or the "high standards" to something else. This is both awkward and ambiguous, a disaster.

(B) process that has been standardized highly and not within = very awkward phrasing "a process that has been standardized highly." Also, "within a group of fundraising events" doesn't make sense. I think you recognize the nonsense part but didn't recognize the awkward part.

(C) highly standardized process rather than at = sleek, elegant, and beautiful. Exceptionally well-written.

(D) high process of standards instead of = the phrase "high process of standards" is a jumble that makes no sense. Also, the GMAT appears not to like the construction "instead of," always using "rather than" for comparisons.

(E) process of high standards rather than that of = a classic GMAT SC mistake. The GMAT loves to through in an extra unnecessary "that of" to confound students, because so many students don't fully understand when "that of" is correct. Yes, you are correct: this makes the sentence nonsensical.

Four answers are clearly wrong, and (C) is a masterpiece of concision and clarity.

Does this make sense?

Hi Mike,
I will be obliged if you kindly explain the parallelism construction in the option c- through X rather than at Y

c) allows political parties to raise money only through a highly standardized process rather than at a group of fundraising events
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
rishabhdxt wrote:
'Instead of' of is a complex preposition and must be followed by only noun

'Rather Than' is a conjunction and can be followed by any thing.

Be generous with KUDOS!

With instead of in D, the statement reads:

The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allows political parties to raise money only through a high process of standards instead of a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned.

Ignoring all other problems, is "instead of" usage correct here? Isn't " a group of fundraising events" noun?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
sevenplusplus wrote:

The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allows political parties to raise money only through a high process of standards instead of a group of fundraising events that are unregulated and unsanctioned.

Ignoring all other problems, is "instead of" usage correct here? Isn't " a group of fundraising events" noun?

Hello sevenplusplus,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes indeed, a group of fundraising events is a noun phrases. So grammatically, usage of instead of is correct.

However, IMHO, in the context of the given official sentence, use of instead of is not correct because usage of instead of presents substitution - one thing in place of the other.

The official sentence talks about an all together a different way of raining money. It does not talk a about a substitute for the process.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
egmat wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:

Hello sevenplusplus,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes indeed, a group of fundraising events is a noun phrases. So grammatically, usage of instead of is correct.

However, IMHO, in the context of the given official sentence, use of instead of is not correct because usage of instead of presents substitution - one thing in place of the other.

The official sentence talks about an all together a different way of raining money. It does not talk a about a substitute for the process.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks Shraddha. Helps.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Isn't comparison with "rather than" is enough instead to add extra "at" in the right answer?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
aceGMAT21 wrote:
MOHIT1402 wrote:

aceGMAT21 wrote:

Thanks.
-Varun

Dear aceGMAT21 Varun,

Now, I see what you have done. My friend, you have presented this in one of the most confusing ways possible. For starters, you have included all your thoughts in the quote box for MOHIT1402, which makes the words appears as his thoughts rather than yours. If you are quoting another user, please do not add your own thoughts to the quote box of the other user. His words should be his and your words should yours. Also, as a general rule, please don't bold your own words when you simply are asking for help: that makes it sound as if you are shouting for help. Finally, while your question is much clearer now, I will say that you are still a long way off from understanding the spirit of what an "excellent question" is and how that mindset could advance your learning. Once again, that blog article has information that, if integrated, could make you a much more effective student.

Let's look at the choices.

(A) process with high standards in contrast to = this is awkward; also, it's unclear whether we are comparing the "process" to something else or the "high standards" to something else. This is both awkward and ambiguous, a disaster.

(B) process that has been standardized highly and not within = very awkward phrasing "a process that has been standardized highly." Also, "within a group of fundraising events" doesn't make sense. I think you recognize the nonsense part but didn't recognize the awkward part.

(C) highly standardized process rather than at = sleek, elegant, and beautiful. Exceptionally well-written.

(D) high process of standards instead of = the phrase "high process of standards" is a jumble that makes no sense. Also, the GMAT appears not to like the construction "instead of," always using "rather than" for comparisons.

(E) process of high standards rather than that of = a classic GMAT SC mistake. The GMAT loves to through in an extra unnecessary "that of" to confound students, because so many students don't fully understand when "that of" is correct. Yes, you are correct: this makes the sentence nonsensical.

Four answers are clearly wrong, and (C) is a masterpiece of concision and clarity.

Does this make sense?

mikemcgarry -- I'm a little confused since I always believed that "rather than" is used to denote a preference. Now the non-underlined portion of this sentence makes it abundantly clear that fundraising through a highly standardised process is the "only" way. It's not a matter of preference I mean. I used this as a split to eliminate C and E and went on to mark A as the correct answer. Now i'm confused about the idiomatic usage here. Would request if you can clarify
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allow [#permalink]

Option elimination -
(A) process with high standards in contrast to - "in contrast to" is a comparison trigger. Here, "a process" is compared with "a group." Moreover, we also look at it from the perspective that to raise money, we have two choices. ".....to raise money through .....(prepositional phrase) in contrast to a group of ...(noun phrase) - not parallel.
Prepositional phrases function as adjectival or adverbial.
Noun Phrases function as subjects, objects, or complements.
(B) process that has been standardized highly and not within - "standardized highly" and not within a group" are awkward.
(C) highly standardized process rather than at-perfect. Rather than used perfectly to show preference between the choices and two choices introduced by the parallel prepositions phrases .... through... rather than ..at....
(D) high process of standards instead of - Through a process ..instead of a group.... wired. Moreover, "instead of" suggests substituting one thing with another. E.g., She ate an apple instead of a cookie. But "rather than" is used for a preference between two options. E.g., I would rather study than go out. Here, in the context of a sentence, the intended meaning is a preference between the two options and not a substation of one method with another.
(E) process of high standards rather than that of - "that" refers to "a process." But the sentence doesn't make sense. ....to raise money through a process...rather than a process ..." Moreover, we have a prepositional phrase on one end and a noun phrase on the other.
GMAT Club Bot
The new legislation governing presidential campaign contribution allow [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts