Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35484 [37]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35484 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [3]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [4]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Re: The new model of dark matter reactivity hopefully can provide sufficie [#permalink]
Kudos
#First split_ meaning --> D & E out as they omit to claim that the model can provide sufficient evidence; this is a core element for the original meaning of the sentence.

#Second split_ redundancy --> A is out as "hopefully" and "can" express the same meaning of possibility

B and C remain --> In B the pronoun "it" is used incorrectly. Put where it is, it conveys ambiguity in the sentence. On the other hand, in C it is correctly used as non essential modifier with the meaning that the community hopes that the new model can provide sufficient evidence.

IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: The new model of dark matter reactivity hopefully can provide sufficie [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 202: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The new model of dark matter reactivity hopefully can provide sufficient evidence, this will put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

Hi,
IMO C.
First, the use of "hopefully" is very arguable on GMAT. Here is an explanation by Mike from Magoosh.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/hopefully-159341.html

Now, only living can hope for something. Hence, new model cannot. This takes care of A,D & E.
Quote:
A) hopefully can provide sufficient evidence, this will put
D) hopefully will put
E) hopes to put

Out of B & C, latter uses the correct construction by putting hope in a non-essential modifier, making it the correct choice.
Quote:
B) it is hoped, can provide sufficient evidence that will put

Quote:
C) can, it is hoped, provide sufficient evidence to put
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Kudos
The new model of dark matter reactivity hopefully can provide sufficient evidence, this will put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

a few issues .First, demonstrative pronouns such as "this" can not be used on their own.They need to be attached to their referent noun or used to create copies of a referent.It also seems we have a comma splice here.The sentence runs on,leaving the meaning mangled

This sentence reads awkwardly

This is the right answer.it avoids all the meaning,construction and pronoun errors

D) hopefully will put
its the evidence that will put to rest the debate not the model itself

E) hopes to put
Once again, its the evidence that should put to rest the debate

Answer is C
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2299 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
It took me 1 minute and 19 seconds to choose (C).

(A) Comma splice.
(B) there must be a comma before "it is hoped".
(C) There is still debate on the use of "hopefully" as "it is hoped". The acceptance rate is higher and higher, but GMAT does not like such usage. Thus, C correctly uses "it is hoped" to express the intended meaning.
(D) See above.
(E) This one is the shortest, but I feel that only people can hope.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

D) hopefully will put
E) hopes to put

MEANING: The new model can provide sufficient evidence to put to rest the age-old debate.

A) "the model can provide evidence, this will put" fragment;
B) "can provide…that will put" the first item "can" presents a possibility, but the second "will" presents a certainty, this is inconsistent and unintended;
D) "the model hopefully will put to rest" this imps the model itself will, certainly, put to rest the debate, not the evidence it generates, unintended;
E) same as (D).

Ans (C)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Is D incorrect just because of usage of word hopefully or it does have run on issue too?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2299 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
globaldesi wrote:
Is D incorrect just because of usage of word hopefully or it does have run on issue too?

Posted from my mobile device

D is not a run-on sentence. This version has just one subject (The new model) and one verb (Put to rest). D is grammatically sound.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35484 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is HERE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: NUS
Send PM
Funny thing- once we know the answer (OA) we can come up with any damn reason to justify the OA. Though the analysis is right, it always fails to occur to me if that kind of thinking is possible in the examination scenario. Looking at the question, the OA and then piecing together some reason, is good but I am not sure if it works, in reality.

eakabuah wrote:

Meaning: The new model of dark matter reactivity can, it is hoped, provide sufficient evidence to put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

We can easily eliminate A for joining two main clauses with just a comma to create a run-on sentence.
On the grounds of meaning, will is not appropriate in the context of this sentence. Apart from expressing that something will happen in the future based on certain conditions, will also express certainty. Meanwhile hopefully also expresses hope amidst some level of doubt pertaining to the occurrence of some event. Can is more appropriate when some level of doubt exists within the context of the sentence. Hence, hopefully works better with can than will agrees with hopefully. Based on this I can eliminate D.
On the same grounds of meaning, it doesn't make much sense to say that Dark matter hopes to put to rest the age-old debate. Does dark matter has what it takes to hope? Or is it that someone hopes that dark can[probably] provide sufficient evidence to put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter. For this illogical meaning, E can be eliminated.

In B we have dark matter can provide sufficient evidence that will put to rest the age-old debate. Already, can provide expresses some level of uncertainty. Something that is uncertain cannot form the basis for making categoric claims that evidence will put to rest the age-old debate. The infinitive form to put rather than will put as in C is better and sensical. With the infinitive, we can say that dark matter can provide sufficient evidence [in order or with the purpose] to put to rest the age-old debate. Eliminate B.

Now I'm left with option C. I hope my analysis has not taken a wrong turn to the North Pole; since we are in the season of Christmas :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

A) The new model of dark matter reactivity hopefully can provide sufficient evidence, this will put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

B) The new model of dark matter reactivity, it is hoped, can provide sufficient evidence that will put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

C) The new model of dark matter reactivity can, it is hoped, provide sufficient evidence to put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

D) The new model of dark matter reactivity hopefully will put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.

E) The new model of dark matter reactivity hopes to put to rest the age-old debate on the existence of antimatter.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts