Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial [#permalink]
Hey @e-gmat, can you explain two things here please:

1) Use of of being and for being
2) Option E violates that that parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatVerbal, I don't understand how 'that' in option A acts as an object for the verb 'recount'

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
GMATNinja, mikemcgarry

Doesn't option B use noun + noun modifier in the end?

The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation of being haunted.

My understand was that newspaper recounted the history of the mansion and that three rooms and reputation is a part of that history. So "history" is the primary thing which includes information about rooms and reputation?

Please tell me where I am going wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27 (Online)
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
AyeeshaJ wrote:
Hey @e-gmat, can you explain two things here please:

1) Use of of being and for being
2) Option E violates that that parallelism.

Hello AyeeshaJ,
Sincere apologies for the late revert.

1) It is not about the phrase of being and for being. The phrases that we need to consider are reputation of and reputation for. Now, the usage of being is correct in the sentence because it has been used as a verb-ing noun word.

2) There is no parallelism violation in Choice E with the omission of that before the verb had. The subject the mansion has two verbs - contained and had. These two verbs are properly connected by the connector and. The parallelism is maintained here.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Can we say that the usage of ,that is wrong and eliminate the options?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 386
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Retail Banking)
Send PM
A – Reputation for being a haunted house – wrong
B- seems good . But, it cannot refer back to mansion by jumping back to first sentence
C- same reason of A- wrong
D- mentioning that is correct . Said that -wrong. Ambiguity of it
E- seems good . E is the right answer

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
ArindamLucky

Yes, we can! None of the "that" phrases in A-D are parallel with the rest of the structure.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial [#permalink]
Correct option E

Preposition always follow Noun, Gerund, and Pronoun
Preposition "For" - to talk about a purpose or a reason for something
Preposition "of" - when we want to show that people or things relate to other things or people
this makes reputation for being - all wrong usage of preposition and can eliminated A,C ,and D

Eliminated:
A. mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation for being a haunted house
C. mansion, that the mansion contained thirteen rooms, and said that it had a reputation for being haunted
D. mansion, said that it contained thirteen rooms and had a reputation for being a haunted house

Remaining B, redundancy with pronoun "it" and "that"
Two "it" creates ambiguity, refer to which Noun - Newspaper, Mansion, or the rooms
B. mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation of being haunted

E Gives , clear message of the sentence:
The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial mansion and said that the mansion contained thirteen rooms and had the reputation of being haunted
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
vickytvn wrote:
Egmat, Could you advise on the option D.
I uderstand in terms of sentence structure . OPtion D is wrong but few posts question the Pronoun " IT" also as an error.
My query, IT can refer to story or Mansion. But it doesnot make sense if replace IT with story thus pronoun IT must refer to only mansion thus IT is not error here.
IS my understanding right?

Hi, friend!

I also wrongly choose D but now it is clear for me that E is the correct answer.

In D I really do not think that "it" has a pronoun-reference problem, I agree with you that "it" must refer only to "mansion" to make sense.

The problem in D is that considering the pronoun "it" as "mansion" you are starting a new and-list with the verbs "contained" and "had", but what about the verb "said" preceding "it"? You can not separate the previous verbs "recounted" and "said" with a comma, they also require an and-list and E makes things right.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
can we eliminate A, B, C for the usage of ', that '

As we know 'that' is not followed by a comma only 'which' is.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
ArindamLucky

Yes, we can! None of the "that" phrases in A-D are parallel with the rest of the structure.

DmitryFarber GMATNinja is answer choice (D) a run-on sentence? If there was a comma before "and had a reputation" would it be right? Or the meaning of the sentence would still be wrong?

Thank you! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
BillyZ wrote:
The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation for being a haunted house.
A. mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation for being a haunted house
B. mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation of being haunted
C. mansion, that the mansion contained thirteen rooms, and said that it had a reputation for being haunted
D. mansion, said that it contained thirteen rooms and had a reputation for being a haunted house
E. mansion and said that the mansion contained thirteen rooms and had the reputation of being haunted

I chose D - i have not read any posts

Reason -- the blue and the purple have to 'describe' / give more information HOW the newspaper story did what it did.

Below is the skeleton structure of A / B / C and E

Quote:
A - x, y, and z
B - x, y, and z
C - x, y, and z
D - x, y and z
E - x and y and z

IN A / B / C and E -- per my understanding of the skeleton structure --
y and z are independent of x [i.e. y and z DONT DESCRIBE X]

Only in D -- based on the skeleton structure -- does Y and Z 'describe' / give more information about the sentence before (x)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2286 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
IN A / B / C and E -- per my understanding of the skeleton structure --
y and z are independent of x [i.e. y and z DONT DESCRIBE X]

Only in D -- based on the skeleton structure -- does Y and Z 'describe' / give more information about the sentence before (x)

jabhatta2 do you want to type up a fresh analysis to test your learnings from our session?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial mansion and said that the mansion contained thirteen rooms and had the reputation of being haunted

Option E has a part: said that the mansion contained thirteen rooms and had the reputation of being haunted

contained is the verb ed modifier for mansion and the after "and", we have "had the reputation", which has a verb. Can these two parts be connected by and. Logically, this makes sense, but can a modifier and verb form be connected in this manner
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Eshangupta1211 wrote:

Option E has a part: said that the mansion contained thirteen rooms and had the reputation of being haunted

contained is the verb ed modifier for mansion and the after "and", we have "had the reputation", which has a verb. Can these two parts be connected by and. Logically, this makes sense, but can a modifier and verb form be connected in this manner

Hello Eshangupta1211,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in this sentence "contained" actually serves as an active verb, so there is no parallelism issue between it and "had".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
VP
VP
Send PM
BillyZ wrote:
The newspaper story accurately recounted the history of the colonial mansion, that it contained thirteen rooms, and that it had a reputation for being a haunted house.

Hi GMATNinja DmitryFarber EducationAisleIanStewart AjiteshArun - quick question on (A) and (B).

Can the blue and the pink modifiers refer to the noun - mansions ?

I thought the blue and the pink, written as is, refer back to the noun "mansions"

Is that grammatically not possible ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
BillyZ wrote:

- quick question on (A) and (B).

I thought the blue and the pink, written as is, refer back to the noun "mansions"

No. For "that" to refer to "mansion", the sentence should have been:

.....the colonial mansion that it contained thirteen rooms and that it had a reputation for being a haunted house.
VP
VP
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
BillyZ wrote:

- quick question on (A) and (B).

No. For "that" to refer to "mansion", the sentence should have been:

.....the colonial mansion that it contained thirteen rooms and that it had a reputation for being a haunted house.

Thx EducationAisle - you dropped the "it"

Is it incorrect because "that contained thirteen rooms " is a relative pronoun - so the "That" already stands for the noun.

Hence "that it contained thirteen rooms " - would be double counting the subject, because the "That" already stands for colonial mansion
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts