GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The number of even factors of 21600 is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 25
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Dec 2013, 07:43
3
17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

68% (02:13) correct 32% (02:07) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The number of even factors of 21600 is

A. 32
B. 42
C. 60
D. 25
E. 52

Originally posted by Klenex on 29 Dec 2013, 07:20.
Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Dec 2013, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2013, 07:55
4
5
Klenex wrote:
The number of even factors of 21600 is

A. 32
B. 42
C. 60
D. 25
E. 52


Finding the Number of Factors of an Integer

First make prime factorization of an integer \(n=a^p*b^q*c^r\), where \(a\), \(b\), and \(c\) are prime factors of \(n\) and \(p\), \(q\), and \(r\) are their powers.

The number of factors of \(n\) will be expressed by the formula \((p+1)(q+1)(r+1)\). NOTE: this will include 1 and n itself.

Example: Finding the number of all factors of 450: \(450=2^1*3^2*5^2\)

Total number of factors of 450 including 1 and 450 itself is \((1+1)*(2+1)*(2+1)=2*3*3=18\) factors.
For more on number properties check: math-number-theory-88376.html

Back to the original question:

Make a prime factorization of the number: \(21,600 =2^5*3^3*5^2\).

According to the above the number of factors is \((5+1)(3+1)(2+1)=72\).

Now, get rid of powers of 2 as they give even factors --> you'll have \(3^3*5^2\) which has (3+1)(2+1)=12 factors. All the remaining factors will be odd, therefore 21,600 has 72-12=60 even factors.

Answer: C.

Similar questions to practice:
how-many-odd-positive-divisors-does-540-have-106082.html
how-many-of-the-factors-of-72-are-divisible-by-100708.html
how-many-even-different-factors-does-the-integer-p-have-132835.html

P.S. Please do not reword or shorten questions when posting. Thank you.
_________________
General Discussion
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 25
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2013, 08:08
1
Bunuel wrote:
Klenex wrote:
The number of even factors of 21600 is

A. 32
B. 42
C. 60
D. 25
E. 52


Finding the Number of Factors of an Integer

First make prime factorization of an integer \(n=a^p*b^q*c^r\), where \(a\), \(b\), and \(c\) are prime factors of \(n\) and \(p\), \(q\), and \(r\) are their powers.

The number of factors of \(n\) will be expressed by the formula \((p+1)(q+1)(r+1)\). NOTE: this will include 1 and n itself.

Example: Finding the number of all factors of 450: \(450=2^1*3^2*5^2\)

Total number of factors of 450 including 1 and 450 itself is \((1+1)*(2+1)*(2+1)=2*3*3=18\) factors.

Back to the original question:

Make a prime factorization of the number: \(21,600 =2^5*3^3*5^2\).

According to the above the number of factors is \((5+1)(3+1)(2+1)=72\).

Now, get rid of powers of 2 as they give even factors --> you'll have \(3^3*5^2\) which has (3+1)(2+1)=12 factors. All the remaining factors will be odd, therefore 21,600 has 72-12=60 even factors.

Answer: C.

P.S. Please do not reword or shorten questions when posting. Thank you.


Thank you for the answer. But I am not able to figure out the 60 even factors

I have approached like this

As Even*Even=Even & Even*Odd=Even , I considered 2^5*3^3 which has (5+1)(3+1)=24 factors and 2^5*5^2 which has (5+1)(2+1)=18 factors.

So, total 24+18=42 factors. What am I missing here?
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 642
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 03:58
1
Total number of factors- Total number of odd factors= Total number of even factors

72-12= 60
_________________
Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2013, 11:24
Klenex wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Klenex wrote:
The number of even factors of 21600 is

A. 32
B. 42
C. 60
D. 25
E. 52


Finding the Number of Factors of an Integer

First make prime factorization of an integer \(n=a^p*b^q*c^r\), where \(a\), \(b\), and \(c\) are prime factors of \(n\) and \(p\), \(q\), and \(r\) are their powers.

The number of factors of \(n\) will be expressed by the formula \((p+1)(q+1)(r+1)\). NOTE: this will include 1 and n itself.

Example: Finding the number of all factors of 450: \(450=2^1*3^2*5^2\)

Total number of factors of 450 including 1 and 450 itself is \((1+1)*(2+1)*(2+1)=2*3*3=18\) factors.

Back to the original question:

Make a prime factorization of the number: \(21,600 =2^5*3^3*5^2\).

According to the above the number of factors is \((5+1)(3+1)(2+1)=72\).

Now, get rid of powers of 2 as they give even factors --> you'll have \(3^3*5^2\) which has (3+1)(2+1)=12 factors. All the remaining factors will be odd, therefore 21,600 has 72-12=60 even factors.

Answer: C.

P.S. Please do not reword or shorten questions when posting. Thank you.


Thank you for the answer. But I am not able to figure out the 60 even factors

I have approached like this

As Even*Even=Even & Even*Odd=Even , I considered 2^5*3^3 which has (5+1)(3+1)=24 factors and 2^5*5^2 which has (5+1)(2+1)=18 factors.

So, total 24+18=42 factors. What am I missing here?


This approach is not correct. Out of 24 factors of 2^5*3^3 not all are even, for example, 3 is a factor of it and is odd, The same for 2^5*5^2. Correct approach is given in my post above.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 00:51
Is it possible to do the question this way :

1. 21,600 =2^5*3^3*5^2
2. Take one 2 out. so the powers left are 2^{4}*3^{3}*5{2}
3. Number of factors now are : (4+1)*(3+1)*(2+1)
4. 5*4*3 = 60
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59236
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 01:05
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13627
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 15:22
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The number of even factors of 21600 is   [#permalink] 04 Mar 2019, 15:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of even factors of 21600 is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne