It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1964

Kudos [?]: 2048 [0], given: 376

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 09:14
vatsas wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

(A) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
(B) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
(C) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
(D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
(E) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.

I am confused between D and A.

Please explain your choice rather than just IMOs.

Thanks
Sumeet


Please search so as to avoid repeated postings. This question is already discussed here:
cr-turbeculosis-cases-65074.html

How to search:
common-posting-ethics-119627.html
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2048 [0], given: 376

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 46

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 59

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 00:16
I think it should be D. its a simple case of cause and effect. if cause is not through human contact then why do waste resource on human examination at border?






vatsas wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

(A) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
(B) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
(C) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
(D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
(E) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.

I am confused between D and A.

Please explain your choice rather than just IMOs.

Thanks
Sumeet

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 59

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 144

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 15

GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2011, 06:55
bhatiagp wrote:
IMO answer is D

a) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis. ( NR )
b) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis. ( NR )
c) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y. ( it is about curbing the spread, not eradicating it, so this point doesnt matter. )
d) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact. ( Incase Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact, the proposal is not sensible , Best Answer )
e) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented. ( NR :- Not Relevant)


Thanks for this!
_________________

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Posts: 144

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 15

GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2011, 22:26
vatsas wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

(A) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
(B) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
(C) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
(D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
(E) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



Which option weakens the conclusion?
Conclusion: impose medical exam on Ctry Y visitors to curb spread of TB in Ctry X

A - irrelevant
B - does not necessarily weaken conclusion --> if medical technology is able to detect most TB carriers, it may help aplenty!
C - does not necessarily weaken conclusion --> if there is sufficient resources to detect most ctry Y visitors, it may help aplenty!
D - okay...so if TB is not spread through human contact but by other means, medical exams would do nought for us in terms of curbing the TB spread. Hold!
E - better still! Strengthens.

Answer: D
_________________

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 15

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2011, 12:12
B- is right
If the medical test cannot id the carrier then the medical examination report cannot bring the desired effect.

D is wrong - human contact is not the only way TB spreads. if some one with TB is allowed to enter the country he may spread the disease by other means. so medical examination of migrants which can stop 'the affected' from entering the country may be effective

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Target MBA
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 200

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

Location: Singapore
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2011, 06:52
vatsas wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

(A) Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
(B) Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
(C) Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
(D) Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
(E) Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.

I am confused between D and A.

Please explain your choice rather than just IMOs.

Thanks
Sumeet


OA should be D
Tuberculosis does not spread through human contact. So even if humans from country Y contaminated with Tuberculosis are not allowed to enter Country X, Tuberculosis will still propagate via other carriers. Hence, the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X
_________________

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Joined: 28 Jun 2011
Posts: 879

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2011, 14:18
Even i shortlisted A and D...

A because it has no impact on the stimulus and slightly weakening it...

D because it is directly contradicting the stimulus...

Hence D should be the answer
_________________

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-


1 KUDOS = 1 THANK


Kick Ass Gmat

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 184

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 4

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2012, 16:46
A. does not build a connection between y and x. I chose this answer at first too. I made the assumption or looked too quickly and thought z was next to x rather it is next to Y.
D is correct because if the cause to the disease is not human contact then getting medical examinations would be useless when trying to prevent the spread of it.
_________________

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 4

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 140

Kudos [?]: 202 [3], given: 97

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2012, 20:54
3
This post received
KUDOS
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

A. Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
B. Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
C. Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
D. Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
E. Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I chose B if the technology is not capable of detetcing the TB then medical examinatin is not going to help
vvat is vvrong vvith B

If anyone can please explain

Thanks

Last edited by JarvisR on 15 Sep 2015, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted & moved the comments under spoiler

Kudos [?]: 202 [3], given: 97

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2012
Posts: 25

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 01:33
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
venmic wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



I chose B if the technology is not capable of detetcing the TB then medical examinatin is not going to help
vvat is vvrong vvith B

If anyone can please explain

Thanks


According to me Option B & C both are equally good. They both are suggesting that medical examination is not going to work.

Experts please help.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644

Kudos [?]: 300 [3], given: 2

Location: Cambridge, MA
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2012, 19:33
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
guitarstrings wrote:
venmic wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



I chose B if the technology is not capable of detetcing the TB then medical examinatin is not going to help
vvat is vvrong vvith B

If anyone can please explain

Thanks


According to me Option B & C both are equally good. They both are suggesting that medical examination is not going to work.

Experts please help.
The question stem highlights the word "NOT." However, there is another very important word in the question stem right next to it: "Help."

(B) and (C) suggest that the plan in the question stem will be of limited use. But the question isn't asking us to weaken the idea that the plan will completely solve the problem. It asks us to disprove the idea that the plan will help at all to solve the problem. In cases (B) or (C), the proposal in the stem is no panacea, but it could still be one part in a comprehensive plan to prevent the spread of Tuberculosis. But choice (D) makes it clear that the plan won't help in the slightest--it won't do a thing! That makes (D) the only correct answer to this question.
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Kudos [?]: 300 [3], given: 2

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Final Countdown
Joined: 17 Mar 2010
Posts: 536

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2012, 06:34
The conclusion is based on the assumption that human beings are the carrier of the disease , so we have to destroy this assumption if we want to refute it.
(D) has it.
(B) on the other hands has no concrete information / reasoning to weaken the argument.
_________________

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2012
Posts: 331

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 291

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2013, 21:47
The term human contact is ambiguous. I disagree with the OA. Yes TB doesn't spread via human contact. But what abt the air borne pathogens that are released when the human sneezes.

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 291

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 48

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2013, 12:24
srikanth12315 wrote:
B- is right
If the medical test cannot id the carrier then the medical examination report cannot bring the desired effect.

D is wrong - human contact is not the only way TB spreads. if some one with TB is allowed to enter the country he may spread the disease by other means. so medical examination of migrants which can stop 'the affected' from entering the country may be effective


I thought the same thing and also chose B.

Why is B wrong? Is it as small a detail as the fact that it says it is not capable of detecting "all" cases, but we can consider that it is ok as long as it detects some? I thought the tough choice was between B and D. Does it matter if the disease is not spread through human contact? Because what if just the presence of those people entering Country X could spread it (not sure how...maybe sneezing into the air, I don't know). Also I guess I am making the assumption that human contact = touching.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2012
Posts: 72

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 52

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2014, 06:33
KapTeacherEli wrote:
guitarstrings wrote:
venmic wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



I chose B if the technology is not capable of detetcing the TB then medical examinatin is not going to help
vvat is vvrong vvith B

If anyone can please explain

Thanks


According to me Option B & C both are equally good. They both are suggesting that medical examination is not going to work.

Experts please help.
The question stem highlights the word "NOT." However, there is another very important word in the question stem right next to it: "Help."

(B) and (C) suggest that the plan in the question stem will be of limited use. But the question isn't asking us to weaken the idea that the plan will completely solve the problem. It asks us to disprove the idea that the plan will help at all to solve the problem. In cases (B) or (C), the proposal in the stem is no panacea, but it could still be one part in a comprehensive plan to prevent the spread of Tuberculosis. But choice (D) makes it clear that the plan won't help in the slightest--it won't do a thing! That makes (D) the only correct answer to this question.


Hi Eli,

By option B, we can say that if we do not have sufficient technology then the step taken by country X would not make sense and it will not help.

You mentioned that - It asks us to disprove the idea that the plan will help at all to solve the problem.
In real GMAT exam how we can come to know that it is not asking to weaken the idea but need to solve in other way? What can be the indicators in the question?

Regards,
Chetan

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 52

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 267

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 29

Location: India
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 23:13
Wow,what an eye for detail this question requires!
Premise:Country Y had TB outbreak last year.This year country X has increased no. of cases of TB.The reason for X's outbreak is Y's outbreak.
Conclusion:All people coming from Y to X should be given a medical examination before entering X.

I went with D just because it is outright rejecting that the idea of medical exam will work AT ALL.B is saying this idea will be limited in its success.

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 29

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Location: United States
Surendra: Cherukuri
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Research (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 06:46
venmic wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



Thanks

My answer is also B. My analysis is as follows.
Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.this may be due to many different reasons and out of scope
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis. If current technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis what ever tests country does it would enter and spread ------correct
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.ok fine they may barrow from others or buy
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.ok it may spread through air or through mosquitoes or water once people of country y enter country x
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented this is out of scope

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 354

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 20:24
venmic wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



I chose B if the technology is not capable of detetcing the TB then medical examinatin is not going to help
vvat is vvrong vvith B

If anyone can please explain

Thanks


ONE THING I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND....
The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year.
HOW DID THE OUTBREAK HAPPEN, THOUGH IN NEIGHBOURING COUNTRY ?
MAY be not by human contact, there r ten others ways of spreading....eg blood transfusion, ......if there were not so it wouldnt have spread there also....
how do we presume that if it does not spread by one way.... it will not spread by others ways as it has in neighbouring country.... outbreak means spread from one case to another.....
does this argument dent answer "d" ?

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 70

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 304

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2015, 22:23
very ambiguous question. Guys do you think, questions such as this will be on the real GMAT.

Sometimes, I worry that question such as this will dent confidence.

venmic wrote:
The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increased dramatically this year. The country's news media have speculated that the sharp increase in new cases is the result of the tuberculosis outbreak that occurred in neighboring Country Y last year. Health officials in Country X have therefore proposed that all visitors from Country Y must submit to a medical examination before entering Country X.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly suggests that the proposed medical examinations will NOT help curb the spread of tuberculosis in Country X?

Country Z, which also neighbors Country Y, has not experienced an increase in cases of tuberculosis.
Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis.
Country X does not have the resources to examine all visitors from Country Y.
Tuberculosis is not spread through human contact.
Citizens of Country Y will not travel to Country X if the proposal is implemented.



I chose B if the technology is not capable of detetcing the TB then medical examinatin is not going to help
vvat is vvrong vvith B

If anyone can please explain

Thanks

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 113

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 190

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 49

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 05:46
2
This post received
KUDOS
B and D are good contenders.
In B,the use of "all" strikes the difference.B says that- Current medical technology is not capable of detecting all carriers of tuberculosis but it can detect some carriers.thus, it will help to curb the disease to some extent.

I hope its clear!

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 49

Re: The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2015, 05:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of new cases of tuberculosis diagnosed in Country X increas

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.