Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

Send PM
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Flattery will get you everywhere, jabhatta2.

Here is a video that might help.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
bigoyal wrote:
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.

(A) doubling the increase of

(B) doubling that of the increase in

(C) double as much as the increase of

(D) twice as many as the increase in

(E) twice as many as the increase of

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
Test 1 R4 V3A.jpg

A ing modifier after comma should agree with subject. Does this always need to be true? If yes, then is there an exception in this case.
Secondly, what's the difference between increase in and increase of, I couldn't use this distinction to eliminate answers. Please help IanStewart GMATNinja @veritasprepkarishma mcelroytutoring
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
pk6969 wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
Test 1 R4 V3A.jpg

A ing modifier after comma should agree with subject. Does this always need to be true? If yes, then is there an exception in this case.
Secondly, what's the difference between increase in and increase of, I couldn't use this distinction to eliminate answers. Please help IanStewart GMATNinja @veritasprepkarishma mcelroytutoring
avigutman
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [1]
Send PM
Re: The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharp [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Secondly, what's the difference between increase in and increase of, I couldn't use this distinction to eliminate answers. Please help

pk6969 ", ...ing" can serve two purposes:
1. describe the manner in which the subject did the verb in the preceding clause (the dog ran through the field, barking the whole way), or
2. describe an unintended consequence of the action in the preceding clause (Avi ran down the stairs, falling flat on his face).
In this case, the correct answer choice makes use of one or both of those purposes - I think you could make an argument for either of them.
Regarding your second question, about using of vs in... I think GMATNinja gave a good analysis of that here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-number-o ... l#p2804813

That said, I think you should beware of memorizing anecdotal takeaways that are unlikely to be of use on other SC questions. After all, our purpose isn't to fully understand this particular problem. Our purpose is to merely use this problem in order to improve our general SC abilities over time. for this reason, try to focus on the bigger picture, logical/meaning related takeaways.

GMATNinja made a similar point in his second paragraph here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-number-o ... l#p2811575
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
is it right to say? -

'double' and "as much as" are both comparison words. -Redundancy

''twice as many as the increase in'' are both comparison words - Redundancy
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
is it right to say? -

'double' and "as much as" are both comparison words. -Redundancy

''twice as many as the increase in'' are both comparison words - Redundancy

These statements look accurate to me.

Whenever you're judging redundancy, don't forget to check the answer choices! If two words/phrases create redundancy together, then there should be at least one answer choice that contains only one of the two redundant parts.
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
Secondly, what's the difference between increase in and increase of, I couldn't use this distinction to eliminate answers. Please help

pk6969 ", ...ing" can serve two purposes:
1. describe the manner in which the subject did the verb in the preceding clause (the dog ran through the field, barking the whole way), or
2. describe an unintended consequence of the action in the preceding clause (Avi ran down the stairs, falling flat on his face).
In this case, the correct answer choice makes use of one or both of those purposes - I think you could make an argument for either of them.

Hi avigutman - in both of your examples above (yellow highlights), the subject can actively perform the ing modifiers.

the dog can bark | Avi can fall down.

But in (A) and (B) - i dont see how can a number can actively perform the "Doubling" of another number.

examples

correct - JD has doubled the number of questions
correct - The female lions doubled the number of lions in the pride

incorrect - 700 doubled 200 to 400 [this doesnt make sense - how can 700 actively double 200 to 400 (or any number for that matter)].

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 21 Aug 2022, 14:12.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 21 Aug 2022, 17:26, edited 11 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
^^avigutman

Just to clarify - put together a quick chart with some easy numbers in the context of this problem
Row 2 - number of passengers
Row 3 - delta each year.

(A) and (B) are suggesting that the 700 (Row 2, column 4) is actively perform the "doubing" of the 200 (Row 3, column 3) to 400 (Row 3, column 4)

Its almost as if 700 is getting up and performing the "doubling" of the 200 into the 400

I dont think it makes sense logically for any number (in this case, 700) to actively perform the "Doubling" of 200 to 400
Attachments

screenshot 3.png
screenshot 3.png [ 7.52 KiB | Viewed 1485 times ]

VP
VP
Send PM
Hi avigutman - q on countable vs uncountable.

The SC sentence talks about two numericals, namely

(i) number of people flying first class on domestic flights
(ii) Increase (of/in) the previous year

Per my understanding, both (i) and (ii) are countable nouns.

Reason - (i) and (ii) ARE INTEGERS only. Non countable nouns are items on a countinous spectrum (volume, area, amount -- all of these can be decimals)

However, (i) and (ii) are integers only - hence i thought (i) and (ii) are Countable nouns only.

Is that your understanding ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2285 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman - q on countable vs uncountable.

The SC sentence talks about two numericals, namely

(i) number of people flying first class on domestic flights
(ii) Increase (of/in) the previous year

Per my understanding, both (i) and (ii) are countable nouns.

Reason - (i) and (ii) ARE INTEGERS only. Non countable nouns are items on a countinous spectrum (volume, area, amount -- all of these can be decimals)

However, (i) and (ii) are integers only - hence i thought (i) and (ii) are Countable nouns only.

Is that your understanding ?

jabhatta2
(i) is definitely countable. Reason: number of people. We can obviously count the number of people (or of anything that can be described in terms of a number).
(ii) Definition of "increase": An amount by which a quantity is increased. The word "amount" implies this is non countable.
Looking at a dictionary, the noun "increase" can also be countable, but that would be in something like "the tax rate experienced 5 increases in the last 2 years."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
doubling the increase of the previous year.
is an -ing modifier , but as per the rule it does not make any sense with
the subject of the previous clause 'the number of people'. So how is A correct?

Originally posted by akt715 on 26 Aug 2022, 00:42.
Last edited by akt715 on 27 Aug 2022, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
is an -ing modified , but as per the rule it does not make any sense with

Hello akt715,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the intended meaning is that number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply, and as a result, the increase of the previous year doubled.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
akt715 wrote:
is an -ing modifier , but as per the rule it does not make any sense with

Comma + _ING modifiers don't just modify a noun. They're adverbial modifiers—they modify the action of the entire preceding clause.

The action of the preceding clause is "The number of people ... rose sharply ..."
This action—i.e., the number of people GOING UP—is exactly what "doubled the increase from the previous year".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
ROSE SHARPLY is the cause; doubling is the effect. So A or B (-ING form). B is wrong as ‘that of’ doesn’t have any antecedent. The only singular nouns in the sentence before that of are: number, first class, and 1990.

If that of is correct, we should be able to replace that of by one of the three singular nouns: number, first class, and 1990

Doubling the number of the increase in … illogical – there is no expression number of increase. The correct expression is amount of increase.
Doubling the first class of the increase in … illogical
Doubling 1990 of the increase in … illogical … So B is absolutely wrong.

C. On the GMAT, ‘twice’ is used as an adjective and ‘double’ is used as a verb or a cause-effect modifier (adverbial) – doubled / doubling etc. In C, double is used as an adjective (should be twice)
Answer A
D and E – don’t capture the cause-effect sequence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
[quote="bigoyal"]The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990, doubling the increase of the previous year.

In E, twice as many as is a noun modifier, so couldn't t refer to "number" in the sentence?
Please help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Send PM
Expert Reply
Stanindaw wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

In E, twice as many as is a noun modifier, so couldn't t refer to "number" in the sentence?

Please help

(E) seems to compare the number of people flying first class on domestic flights to the increase of the previous year. You could compare one number to another or one increase to another, but comparing a number to an increase doesn't make sense in this context.

To make matters worse, the subject (the number of people flying first class on domestic flights) isn't really tied to a specific year and instead refers to that group of people in a more general way. That makes any potential comparison even less clear in (E).

(A) avoids these comparison issues by using an "-ing" modifier instead, as discussed in this post (and elsewhere in the thread).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts