Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [15]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [1]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: The number of students who play for Town X's high school sports teams [#permalink]
Kudos
jamifahad wrote:
The number of students who play for Town X's high school sports teams is greater than the number of students who play for Town Y's high school sports teams. Because of their greater participation in school athletics, the high school student population of Town X is more physically fit than that of Town Y.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion above EXCEPT:

A. There are more high school students in Town X than in Town Y.
Perhaps challenges the premise that "greater number" is "greater participation", and the impetus to the "greater number" is the greater number of residents in X. Assumption: residents go to their local school only. Perhaps weakens. Maybe correct.

B. Most high school students in Town Y go to school in Town X and play on their high schools' sports teams.
Then, according to the reasoning, Town Y's high school residents should have been more physically fit. Weakens.

C. High school sports teams in Town X play and practice for fewer hours per week than do high school sports teams in Town Y.
Assumption of "greater participation" perhaps because of "greater number" is challenged here. C says the participation is greater in Y's school. So, the opposite of the conclusion should be true. Weakens.

D. Many high school athletes from Town Y play only on club teams not affiliated with any high schools.
Town Y high school residents should be more physically fit because of their participation in athletic events, in the school or out of school.

E. High school sports teams in Town Y accept freshman athletes, whereas high school sports teams in Town X do not.
But, how many athletes? Perhaps only those few athletes are fit. Doesn't challenge. Correct.

Ans: "E"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The number of students who play for Town X's high school sports teams [#permalink]
Kudos
E is a good answer, but can some one explain, how answer A fails ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
After re-reading the question several times, i approached answer A as follows:

Argument concludes that Because there are more no of students playing in high school teams in city X, the number of students who are fit is more than those in City Y. But If City X has more population - > More no of students, so we can reasonably assume that this is why the no of fit students is greater and the participation in sports is not the actual reason .

Thanks plumber250 for your insight.

I hate Weakens the argument EXCEPT, or Strengthens the argument EXCEPT kind of questions. Any tip on how should i proceed on such questions ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
nikhiil wrote:
After re-reading the question several times, i approached answer A as follows:

Argument concludes that Because there are more no of students playing in high school teams in city X, the number of students who are fit is more than those in City Y. But If City X has more population - > More no of students, so we can reasonably assume that this is why the no of fit students is greater and the participation in sports is not the actual reason .

Thanks plumber250 for your insight.

I hate Weakens the argument EXCEPT, or Strengthens the argument EXCEPT kind of questions. Any tip on how should i proceed on such questions ?

Hi nikhill

Each people has each strategy to tackle the "Except" questions. One strategy is:

First, read the question stem carefully, because you may miss the word "except". That's easy, but very important.

Second, turn question into positive direction. "Forget" about "except".

(1) If the question asks "which answer strengthens except..." ==> Find answers that strengthen ==> mark them "wrong". ==> The last answer will be the correct (even when you cannot explain why it's correct)

(2) If the question asks "which answer weakens except.." ==> Find answers that weaken ==> mark them "wrong. ==> The last answer will be the correct (even when you cannot explain why it's correct)

Because if the question asks you "which answer strengthen except..." ==> You will find an option that strengthen the conclusion easier ==> mark it "wrong". The logic of GMAT is "eliminate a wrong answer is easier than choose a correct one". The "Except" question is always more difficult than normal questions, if you try to find the correct answer ==> You will lost time.

Hope it helps.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sukant2010 wrote:
Hi,
I totally agree with semwal. I was mainly confused between options (a) and (e), but I marked option (a) as both the options in no significant way attack the conclusion. The reasoning for option (a) is similar to that given by semwal and for option (e) is that even if freshman students are appointed by the School Y, it doenot necessarily mean that the students in school Y are less physically fit then those in school X or vice versa. I mean it is not actually targeting just like option (a).
Plz if any expert could elaborate as to why option (e) is the answer.

Wow, this is just like the question of newspapers in Town S & Town T...

The issue on A is shifting between raw numbers and proportions. The argument states that there are more athletes in Town X than in Town Y. Answer A states that there are more students in Town X. Let's illustrate with some fake numbers. Let's say there are 101 athletes in Town X and 100 athletes in Town Y. If we say there are 10,000 students in Town X and 125 students in Town Y, we have destroyed the conclusion.

As for E, notice the switch. Most answers start with Town X, but E starts with Town Y. It states that Town Y allows for freshman athletes. Again, we will use numbers. Town X has 101 non-freshman athletes. Town Y has 100 athletes, but only 80 non-freshman athletes. This doesn't weaken the argument, it strengthens it!

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi,
I totally agree with semwal. I was mainly confused between options (a) and (e), but I marked option (a) as both the options in no significant way attack the conclusion. The reasoning for option (a) is similar to that given by semwal and for option (e) is that even if freshman students are appointed by the School Y, it doenot necessarily mean that the students in school Y are less physically fit then those in school X or vice versa. I mean it is not actually targeting just like option (a).
Plz if any expert could elaborate as to why option (e) is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 449 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
"Because of their greater participation in school athletics, the high school student population of Town X is more physically fit than that of Town Y."
I got this one wrong because I assumed that when the argument says "the high school student population of Town X is more physically fit than that of Town Y", it was referring to the level of fitness in the students and not the proportion of fit students in the schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
Send PM
I'd like to understand why Option A is incorrect.
Can someone explain how option C weaken the argument
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
ksharayu wrote:
I'd like to understand why Option A is incorrect.

Hi

The conclusion states that: "...the high school student population of Town X is more physically fit than that of Town Y". This is based on the fact that: "Because of their greater participation in school athletics...".

However, what constitutes "more/less physically fit" is not made clear. If we define it, reasonably, as the proportion of fit students in a town and accept the fact that greater participation leads to greater fitness, then option (A) throws doubt on whether a greater proportion of town X's high school students participate in school sports teams than that of town Y, and hence the conclusion about their respective fitnesses.

Therefore, since it brings the conclusion into doubt, option (A) acts as a weakener. Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GRE 1: Q169 V160
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
Can you explain how C weakens the answer?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts