Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [1]

Send PM
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ra96 wrote:
GMATNinja in option C can you say "they" refers back to the subject of the first clause( The Olympic Games) unambiguously as per one of your live videos? The option is wrong for the other reasons mentioned.

To clarify, when a pronoun appears as the subject of a clause, the most logical place to look for its antecedent is the subject of the previous clause. But that isn't a rule. Put another way, if the subject of the previous clause works as the antecedent, you know for sure that the pronoun is fine. If the subject doesn't work, you'd want to keep searching to see if you could find another noun that could work as the antecedent. If nothing works, then the pronoun is wrong.

However, if you're able to find an alternative antecedent, but it's difficult to locate, you'd note that the construction might be less than ideal, but you shouldn't treat it as a definitive error. In (C), for instance, "they" could refer to "states." Instead, you'd want to find a more concrete issue to evaluate. However, if you couldn't find a more concrete issue, and you had it down to (C) and (D), it would be perfectly reasonable to use the problematic "they" in (C) as a tie-breaker. Because (D) discards the pronoun altogether and is therefore clearer, it's a superior option.

I hope that clears things up!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [2]

Send PM
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
This popped up on another thread, and we're reposting it here, just in case anybody finds it useful:
mohitprabhat wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
The sentences which use , + ing modifiers, the modifier should agree with the verb of the preceding clause and not the subject of the preceding clause. Is my understanding correct?

Ref: Why option B is incorrect in this Q

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

Take another look at (B):

Quote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month

While you're right that an -ing modifier describes the action of the previous clause, in this case, "proclaiming" requires an active doer. Someone or something had to do the proclaiming. Because "The Olympic Games" is the subject of "helped" it certainly sounds as though the games are the entity that's proclaiming, doesn't it? Clearly, that makes no sense.

Contrast the above with another version, where an -ing modifier might make work with the same subject: "The Olympic Games helped to keep the peace, leading to a sacred truce..." The difference here is that "leading" doesn't require an active doer, it can be a passive consequence of the previous action. So I don't have to wonder about who or what is leading to a sacred truce, the truce is the passive result of an action. This one is fine.

Very subtle distinction here: in one case the -ing requires a doer; in the other it doesn't. The takeaway: though an -ing modifier doesn't technically modify the subject of the previous clause, sometimes, because of the active nature of that modifier, it sounds as though the previous subject is doing something illogical. When that's the case, the -ing modifier is a problem.

This is what makes SC so hard. There's no real rule here -- we just need to ask ourselves if a construction makes sense given the context. Your job is to make sure you don't develop grammar-based tunnel vision. Grammar is useful, but context and meaning matter much more on the GMAT.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
KarishmaB mikemcgarry ExpertsGlobal5

would past perfect be also correct in for clause? Since the truce was proclaimed first, thereby helping to maintain peace. Modified option(D) world, for a sacred truce 'HAD BEEN' proclaimed during the month of the festival.

Thanks in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
KarishmaB mikemcgarry ExpertsGlobal5

would past perfect be also correct in for clause? Since the truce was proclaimed first, thereby helping to maintain peace. Modified option(D) world, for a sacred truce 'HAD BEEN' proclaimed during the month of the festival.

Thanks in advance!

No, we cannot use past perfect. We don't have two actions here - there is only one action (peace was proclaimed) and its impact (helped keep peace).
This is something that used to happen habitually in those times.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V29
WE:General Management (Tech)
Send PM
Why are we choosing answer choices with passive voices?
Are we allowed to use passive formation in GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ThatIndianGuy wrote:

Hi ThatIndianGuy,

The passive voice is actually quite useful in certain situations, but generally speaking, it isn't preferred on the GMAT. Just keep in mind that "isn't preferred" doesn't mean "impossible".
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ThatIndianGuy wrote:

Generally, when the doer of the action is not known or not of interest, passive voice is a completely valid construct.

For example:

The first IVF was conducted in 1978.

Notice that in the above sentence, we are not interested in who conducted the IVF; we are more interested in knowing when the first IVF was conducted. Since the doer of the action is not of interest to us, passive voice is completely valid.

In fact, there are cases when the usage of active voice can lead to illogical sentences. Following is an official incorrect sentence:

Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

"if they rate the watt-hour higher" is in active voice, thereby nonsensically suggesting that manufacturers can make the battery last longer, simply by rating them higher!

Similarly, in the sentence under consideration, the doer of proclamation (announcement) is not known. Hence, passive voice is a valid construct. Essentially, it all boils down to meaning.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses passive voice, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

So, essentially, it all boils down to meaning.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
ThatIndianGuy wrote:

Hello ThatIndianGuy,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the usage of the passive voice on GMAT is a demerit, but it is not a concrete error; it is entirely possible for the correct answer choice to use the passive voice.

Please note that the same applies to all matters of redundancy and awkwardness; the more concise or direct option is not necessarily the superior one; the question of redundancy/awkwardness should only be considered when there are multiple error-free answer choices.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
egmat wrote:
Let's apply e-GMAT 3 step process to solve this question:

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

A. world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
B. world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month
C. world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
D. world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
E. world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

SENTENCE STRUCTURE

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world
o in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

• This sentence tells us that the Olympic Games helped to keep peace among otherwise fighting states of the Greek World.
o This became possible because a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. Note that, the sentence does not tell us who proclaimed this truce.

ERROR ANALYSIS

1. The phrase “festival’s month” is not idiomatic. It gives the meaning that the festival possesses the month. When referring to an inanimate object, we must avoid possessive. This expression should be “the month of the festival”.
2. Here, the expression “in that” means “because”. In this case, ‘because’ is preferred since it is more concise and gives the meaning directly. Note that ‘for’, which is used in the correct option, also means because.
Also as the OG says, this two-word expression can be replaced with a word for conciseness.

PoE

A. Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B. Incorrect.
1. The phrase “festival’s month” is incorrect as explained in the error analysis.
2. The verb-ing modifier “proclaiming” seems to modify the preceding clause. Now, when a verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause, it should make sense with the subject of the preceding clause. So, this option indicates that the Olympic Games did the action of “proclaiming a sacred truce”.
However, if we refer back to the meaning analysis it was not clear from the original sentence who proclaimed the sacred truce. The Games themselves could not have proclaimed anything. So, this option does not indicate a logically correct meaning.

C. Incorrect
1. The reference of the pronoun ‘they’ is ambiguous. It can refer to “the pugnacious states” or “the Olympic Games”.
2. The original sentence indicates that the truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. This meaning is not conveyed by this option.

D. Correct.
This option corrects the idiom error from the original sentence and replaces the phrase “in that” with “for”, making the sentence concise.

E. Incorrect.
This option is very wordy as compared to option A and D. Also, it suggests that the proclamation of the sacred truce was done by the Olympic Games. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Deepak

Hello,
What if we say ''chair's leg''? Is it wrong? I need a clarification on it.
GMATNinja wrote:
A question from our sentence correction "ask me anything" thread:

Rebekah wrote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival's month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Hi, Ninja, I have seen all the posts about this question, but I still have to ask about the use of "in that". What does it mean? Can you give me a few examples about "in that' ? Thank you so much!!

The phrase "in that" doesn't appear on the GMAT too often... and now that I'm thinking about it, the phrase doesn't appear very often in modern English in general. So don't lose too much sleep over it, but it's basically a goofy way of saying "because."

And I guess that's fine: "The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world [because] a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month." I can live with that, I guess.

The bigger issue in (A) is that it doesn't really make sense to say "the festival's month." That's a misuse of the possessive. I can't understand how the festival can possess the month. (teaserbae, I don't think that the issue is that it's "unidiomatic". The problem is that the meaning isn't quite right.)

I hope this helps a bit!

GMATNinja
Thanks for the detailed explanation, sir.
I saw few explanation where you said that the inanimate object may carry possessive, but i forgot the link where you said it. Can't I say ''Chair's leg''? I know the leg is not possessed by chair, but i saw so many places where it was written. Can you clarify, please?
Quote:
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Hello RonPurewal,
Hope you're well enough. I wanted to write here to have a clarification about ''verb_ING'' issue in choice B. Can we cross out choice B as the timeframe of festival month and the timeframe of previous clause is not same?
Appreciating your help.
Asad (your course student)...
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Hello,

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

Thank you for the query. :)

On GMAT SC, this expression will be deemed incorrect I believe because inanimate nouns are generally not written in possessive because "A's B" literally translates as A possesses B.

In general English, such usages are indiscriminately accepted. However, usages in GMAT SC are very very specific, succinct, and logical. Therefore, many phrases that generally "sound" fine are considered incorrect in GMAT SC questions.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
egmat wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
Hello,

Hello TheUltimateWinner,

Thank you for the query. :)

On GMAT SC, this expression will be deemed incorrect I believe because inanimate nouns are generally not written in possessive because "A's B" literally translates as A possesses B.

In general English, such usages are indiscriminately accepted. However, usages in GMAT SC are very very specific, succinct, and logical. Therefore, many phrases that generally "sound" fine are considered incorrect in GMAT SC questions.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

I just remember one of GMATNinja sir's comment where he put support for ''mug's handle'! He said that 'mug's handle' makes sense so far i remember his comment. Now, i am confused :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
egmat wrote:

E. world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

SENTENCE STRUCTURE

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world

• This sentence tells us that the Olympic Games helped to keep peace among otherwise fighting states of the Greek World.
o This became possible because a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. Note that, the sentence does not tell us who proclaimed this truce.

ERROR ANALYSIS

1. The phrase “festival’s month” is not idiomatic. It gives the meaning that the festival possesses the month. When referring to an inanimate object, we must avoid possessive. This expression should be “the month of the festival”.
2. Here, the expression “in that” means “because”. In this case, ‘because’ is preferred since it is more concise and gives the meaning directly. Note that ‘for’, which is used in the correct option, also means because.
Also as the OG says, this two-word expression can be replaced with a word for conciseness.

PoE

B. Incorrect.
1. The phrase “festival’s month” is incorrect as explained in the error analysis.
2. The verb-ing modifier “proclaiming” seems to modify the preceding clause. Now, when a verb-ing modifier modifies the preceding clause, it should make sense with the subject of the preceding clause. So, this option indicates that the Olympic Games did the action of “proclaiming a sacred truce”.
However, if we refer back to the meaning analysis it was not clear from the original sentence who proclaimed the sacred truce. The Games themselves could not have proclaimed anything. So, this option does not indicate a logically correct meaning.

C. Incorrect
1. The reference of the pronoun ‘they’ is ambiguous. It can refer to “the pugnacious states” or “the Olympic Games”.
2. The original sentence indicates that the truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival. This meaning is not conveyed by this option.

D. Correct.
This option corrects the idiom error from the original sentence and replaces the phrase “in that” with “for”, making the sentence concise.

E. Incorrect.
This option is very wordy as compared to option A and D. Also, it suggests that the proclamation of the sacred truce was done by the Olympic Games. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

Regards,
Deepak

Hello,

No, 'chair's leg' is not wrong because we are talking about the leg that belongs to the chair. Some grammarians do avoid using possessive with inanimate objects but it certainly has wide acceptability so I wouldn't fret about it.
That said, 'festival's month' is a bigger red flag to me because the month doesn't really belong to the festival. It is just the month in which the festival occurs.
So I would be more comfortable with the month of the festival.
The truce was proclaimed during the month ('of the festival' modifies the month). All makes perfect sense.

Also, 'in that' gives us 'more information' about what is mentioned before. Whereas 'truce was proclaimed during the month' has a cause-effect relation with 'helped keep peace among the states.' Hence, the use of 'because' or 'for' is better.

So (D) is better than (A).
KarishmaB wrote:
TheUltimateWinner wrote:
egmat wrote:

SENTENCE STRUCTURE

ERROR ANALYSIS

PoE

B. Incorrect.

C. Incorrect

D. Correct.

E. Incorrect.

Regards,
Deepak

Hello,

No, 'chair's leg' is not wrong because we are talking about the leg that belongs to the chair. Some grammarians do avoid using possessive with inanimate objects but it certainly has wide acceptability so I wouldn't fret about it.
That said, 'festival's month' is a bigger red flag to me because the month doesn't really belong to the festival. It is just the month in which the festival occurs.
So I would be more comfortable with the month of the festival.
The truce was proclaimed during the month ('of the festival' modifies the month). All makes perfect sense.

Also, 'in that' gives us 'more information' about what is mentioned before. Whereas 'truce was proclaimed during the month' has a cause-effect relation with 'helped keep peace among the states.' Hence, the use of 'because' or 'for' is better.

So (D) is better than (A).

Yes, the explanation makes sense. Thanks and kudos to you mam...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]
However, in the case of "festival month," this causes me concern, because the month doesn't really belong to the festival. It is simply the month in which the festival takes place. That is why I think "festival month" is more appropriate. The truce was proclaimed during the month, and "festival month" clarifies what month we're talking about. It all makes perfect sense. There's still value in reading https://casinosanalyzer.ca/low-deposits ... sit-casino reviews of interesting games, try you too) Also, the phrase "during this" gives additional information about what was said earlier. On the other hand, the statement "during this month an armistice was declared" establishes a causal connection to "helped keep the peace between the states." Consequently, the use of "because" or "for" is more appropriate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1840
Send PM
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]
My 2 cents on ING Modifier

1) IN cause and effect 'ING modifiers', Subject of the previous clause needs not to be modified by the modifier. It can but even if it doesn't then it will work.

2) 'ING' modifer without cause and effect relationship needs someone who is performing 'modifier's action', so it will modify the previous clause's subject. Sometimes, the subject of the previous clause may not be the DOER but its fine, ING Modifier can modify DOER, BUT when DOER is not in the previous clause then it creates ambiguity - avoid ING construction(Sacred Truce example).

Experts, Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts