It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

19 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 172 [19], given: 0

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2003, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Kudos [?]: 172 [19], given: 0

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 941

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 14:37
My 2 cents:
NOTE: Phrases “during the month of the festival” and “for the month of the festival” mean separate things.
“during the month of the festival” – something was done during the month of festival. HERE WE DON’T KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

“for the month of the festival” – something was solely done for the duration of festival month. HERE WE DO KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

So in options C and E change the meaning of the sentence.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manishtank1988 wrote:
My 2 cents:
NOTE: Phrases “during the month of the festival” and “for the month of the festival” mean separate things.
“during the month of the festival” – something was done during the month of festival. HERE WE DON’T KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

“for the month of the festival” – something was solely done for the duration of festival month. HERE WE DO KNOW WHEN THAT something WILL END!!!

Not necessarily - "I have enough stock for this month.". This sentence does not imply that the stock will end at the end of this month.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
G

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 09:13
sayantanc2k wrote:
manishtank1988 wrote:
My 2 cents:

Not necessarily - "I have enough stock for this month.". This sentence does not imply that the stock will end at the end of this month.

sayantanc2k
But atleast while comparing the meaning of the sentence - these phrases don't change the meaning at all?
May be i am looking into this too much but i think atleast there is some change in the meaning - the meaning i mentioned above may not be accurate but at least there is some change - am i wrong here?
Please let me know, what you think...
thanks

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 02:07
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

Why is B wrong along with that can you explain why E is wrong is that because it is used in passive voice or is there any other reason?

Army Brat

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 95

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 02:14
This post received
KUDOS
One very apparent error in option E is sacred truce <that was> for the month of the festival.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 95

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 4

Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 02:38
This post received
KUDOS
GmatBawse Thanks mate and added kudo to you

If you liked my doubt one kudo for me also :D
Please

Army Brat

Kudos [?]: 15 [1], given: 4

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 09:33

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month - "festivals month" is incorrect, "month of the festival" is needed.. "festivals month" implies that festival possesses the month and since its an inanimate object, possessive must not be used
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month - "proclaiming" verbing means that "proclaiming" should fit with the subject of the previous clause "olympic games" but "olympic games proclaiming" something makes no sense + "festivals month" see A
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month - what is the "they" referring to
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival - BEST CHOICE "for a sacred..." is the cause for the effect "the olympic games helped to keep.." + "for" means the same as "because" and is more concise than "in that"
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival - "that was" awkward + sounds like "olympic games" did the "proclamation"

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 11:06
Answer is D .
B seems to be trap answer .
In B proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month implies that Olympic games proclaimed the truce which is nonsensical.
Am i correct?

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 532

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9028 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 13:16
arvind910619 wrote:
Answer is D .
In B proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month implies that Olympic games proclaimed the truce which is nonsensical.
Am i correct?

Hello arvind910619,

Yes, you are correct in your analysis of Choice B.

Also the phrase festival's month is incorrect because this phrase seems to suggest that the month belonged to the festival. This is again nonsensical. The correct phrase the month of the festival conveys the logical meaning.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9028 [0], given: 335

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 22:36
arvind910619 wrote:
Am i correct?

Hi arvind910619, yeah indeed and this is so subtle. Very good catch!

In fact, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses an example that is based on this very question, to illustrate this subtle meaning issue. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Olympic Games.pdf [11.46 KiB]
Downloaded 10 times

To download please login or register as a user

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 312 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Schools: Alberta"20
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 00:27
,Fanboys is the reason choice d is correct.

Both the clauses are independent in the sense that their existence as a sentence alone is not dependent on the other.Thus, to connect 2 independent clauses, use of (,Fanboys) is needed.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 219 [1], given: 186

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month ==> Festivals month is incorrect usage as festival is inanimate object and hence we should avoid possessive.

(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month ==> "Proclaiming" incorrectly modifying the previous clause which changes the meaning of the sentence, and the same error as the incorrect usage of festival's month.

(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month ==> "They" refers to whom here? “the pugnacious states” or “the Olympic Games”? - Usage is ambiguous.

(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival = CORRECT

(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival ==> Changes the meaning of the sentence

Hence, D

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 219 [1], given: 186

Re: The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 04:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap