Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2782 [47]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (M)
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V31
WE:Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: The only strategic metal in which the United States is self-sufficient [#permalink]
GOOD QUESTION..

i will go with D .

except d each choice has more than 1 flaw..,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The only strategic metal in which the United States is self-sufficient [#permalink]
Daagh, can you please more how A,B, C are gone
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Can someone please explain C -

in alloys to harden steel, as well as a lubricant and , in trace amounts as a ...

in alloys - prep phrase?

to harden steel - infinitive phrase?

I felt its got to do with parallelism, but don't get the technical grammar behind this question...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
btg9788 wrote:
Can someone please explain C -

in alloys to harden steel, as well as a lubricant and , in trace amounts as a ...

in alloys - prep phrase?

to harden steel - infinitive phrase?

I felt its got to do with parallelism, but don't get the technical grammar behind this question...

Hi btg9788

I don't really get your question, but I guess your question is like "why C is wrong, and why D is correct"

C is wrong because of parallelism error.

...... molybdenum can be used [in alloys] to harden steel, as well as a lubricant and nutritional supplement in trace amounts.
The three bold parts are not parallel. Only "a lubricant" and "nutritional supplement" are parallel.

*in alloys - prep phrase? YES
* to harden steel - infinitive phrase? YES

D is correct. because:
......molybdenum can be used [in alloys] to harden steel; it can also be used as a lubricant and, in trace amounts, as a nutritional supplement
"It" modifies molybdenum correctly.
"as a lubricant" and "as nutritional supplement" are parallel.

Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Thanks pqhai.

I did not type my question correctly. However, at second glance, I see why the other answers are incorrect. In C, I think that its more to do with meaning rather than grammar or parallelism etc.

The element Molybdenum can be "a lubricant and nutritional supplement" to prevent tooth decay - Meaningless sentence.

So C changes the meaning to something like Molybdenum acts as a lubricant+nutritional supplement to prevent tooth decay, which clearly is nonsensical.

Parallelism of course, as you said is missing in C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 522 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GPA: 3.95
WE:Supply Chain Management (Other)
Send PM
The answer is Definitely D. This was an easy one!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
tonebeeze wrote:
The only strategic metal in which the United States is self-sufficient, molybdenum is a soft substance that can, paradoxically, be used to harden steel in alloys, as well as as a lubricant, and in trace amounts, in the nutritional supplements to help prevent tooth decay.

a. to harden steel in alloys, as well as as a lubricant, and in trace amounts, in the nutritional supplements

b. to harden steel in alloys, as well as a lubricant, and a nutritional supplement in trace amounts

c. in alloys to harden steel, as well as a lubricant and nutritional supplement in trace amounts

d. in alloys to harden steel; it can also be used as a lubricant and, in trace amounts, as a nutritional supplement

e. in alloys to harden steel; it can also be used as well as a lubricant and nutritional supplement in trace amounts

the sentence mention "paradoxically" but in D, paradoxically doesn't stand for anything, as now we have 2 independent clause. in 1st statement itself should itself why it is paradoxical. Am I wrong?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM