It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them q

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1137 [0], given: 100

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them q [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2009, 16:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:00) correct 28% (00:58) wrong based on 1386 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 4
Page: 653

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Last edited by hazelnut on 08 Jul 2017, 23:23, edited 2 times in total.
Added the source

Kudos [?]: 1137 [0], given: 100

3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1062 [3], given: 5

Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them q [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2009, 21:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tejal777 wrote:
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.

(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(B) if they are quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns to rot them

(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather returns

(D) if the fruit is quickly processed into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns

(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit

Keep getting this one wrong:( Need detailed explanations..

only E makes sense here.

A,B,C,D -> have Pronoun reference issues. Frozen Citrus is singluar, so you can't use "They, them when refering to Citrus)
C -> fruit rots wrong here. weather rots the fruit

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1062 [3], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 843 [1], given: 19

Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them q [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2009, 21:13
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:

Keep getting this one wrong:( Need detailed explanations..

Agree with E. The use of "them/they", which refer to "the growers", is wrong.
"It" is required to refer "frozen citrus".

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 843 [1], given: 19

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 186 [3], given: 15

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 23:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before
they rot when warmer weather returns.
(C) for them to be processed quickly into juice concentrate before the fruit rots when warmer weather
returns

Kudos [?]: 186 [3], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [1], given: 4

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Construction is : X is to Y
A> "them" - pronoun agreement error.Citrus = singular
B> "they" and them - pronoun agreement error
C> "them" - pronoun agreement error
D> "they" and them - pronoun agreement error

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

Kudos [?]: 110 [1], given: 4

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 41

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 23:59
E...is the best possible choice w/o pronoun error

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 41

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This question took me 5 sec to find the answer. The structure is : the only way TO ... is TO ....
So E is obviously the only one.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Kudos [?]: 59 [1], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2011, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
this question calls for parallelism and pronouns.
here, is acts as a linking verb. in that, it does not describe what the subject does but what the subject is. in other words it does not describe the action of the subject but state of the subject.

Eg. She is a student. is - linking verb.

Linking verbs demand that subject and object be parallel. hence, way to do X is to Y is the parallel structure here.
Remember, parallelism does not always need parallel markers. Parallelism is called for wherever ideas are logically parallel.
So, A and E are parallel.
Lets see more.
A - process them! oh! cirtus btw is a collective noun and hence, singular. them disagrees!
B - same error! they? no.
C - them again! no
D - they? same error
E - it, correct. fruit, correct.
The tie between A and E that both support parallelism can be solved by pronoun issue.
Note that, without knowing that citrus is singular, there was no way to solve this.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Kudos [?]: 81 [1], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2011, 08:59
One more take-away here.
To salvage... is... to process - A with other errors
To salvage .. is... to have it processed - E with no other errors.
Parallelism in A seems more perfect, but is deceiving. Note the trap.
Take-away? Look for other errors too.

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 39

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2012, 17:16
Here's my question: How do you know in that sentence that citrus is singular?
If i'm not mistaken the plural of citrus is still citrus no?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2012, 17:44
cafay wrote:
Here's my question: How do you know in that sentence that citrus is singular?
If i'm not mistaken the plural of citrus is still citrus no?

hmm... i checked again & i dont think that there is a way to solve this without knowing that citrus is a fruit. One thing can be done. Lets say you think citrus is plural then what would be singular - citru ??? have you ever heard of this word..no , then citrus is singular and its plural is citruses

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2012, 19:33
Irrespective of citrus being singular or prural, the pronoun is the one that stands out and needs to resolved in the answer.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 12:10
The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns.(A) to process them quickly into juice concentrate before they rot when warmer weather returns
(E) to have it quickly processed into juice concentrate before warmer weather returns and rots the fruit.

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 20:06
"A" is the right answer. There is nothing wrong with the sentence.
"E" is a more simpler version of "A" but "A" is not wrong so "E" cannot replace "A" in being the right answer.

I just dont see a "if" starting in the clause making sense. So "B" & "D" are not okay.
"C" doesn't make sense either.

So the right answer is "A"

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2012, 20:40
1022lapog wrote:
"E" is a more simpler version of "A" but "A" is not wrong so "E" cannot replace "A" in being the right answer.

I just dont see a "if" starting in the clause making sense. So "B" & "D" are not okay.

Also, the pronoun "it" in E refers to singular object. Here the citrus word should refer to plural fruits. E is definitely wrong. Of the answer choices, A better suits.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 09-30-2012
GPA: 3.08
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2012, 02:19
MgmtGrad wrote:
1022lapog wrote:

Also, the pronoun "it" in E refers to singular object. Here the citrus word should refer to plural fruits. E is definitely wrong. Of the answer choices, A better suits.

Who said frozen citrus is Plural ??

It is singular and will need a singular pronoun !
E is the correct answer, all others are wrong !! period.

frozen citrus is a type of fruit, and is singular

also look at the parallel structure, it requires an infinitive to be parallel. A lacks both and is doomed !

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2012, 23:31
"E" is the right answer.. Same question was posted in another thread as well, with its original answer..

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 41

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2012, 14:28
1022lapog wrote:

There are many cases in sentence correction questions when two options are both grammatically correct but the right one is the simpler one.

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 41

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 282

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2013, 11:57
The plural of citrus is citruses. Since citrus is used here we consider singular usage of the pronouns i.e. 'it'

I hope this helps

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 282

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2013, 14:36
Although I understood the reasoning behind POE of this answer choice, can anyone enlighten me by justifying the below explanation from OG12.

Parallelism requires that the same word forms
perform the same functions in the sentence. Here,
the linking verb is requires two infinitives: to
salvage … to process (or to have … processed).

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 322

Re: The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them q   [#permalink] 24 Aug 2013, 14:36

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 45 posts ] 

The only way for growers to salvage frozen citrus is to process them q

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap